Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Should GM products be labelled?
Yes, we have a right to know
77.78%
No, I don't mind
11.11%
I can't be bothered forming an opinion
11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Should GM food be labelled?

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2006, 11:16 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: Should GM food be labelled?

Having munched my way through a pack of Walkers, I read on the bag that that they now use Sunseed oil, and have reduced saturated fat. The fact that Sunseed is a trademark, and the fat is reduced by 70% makes me think that it must be from GM crop.
I don't have strong feeling either way about GM, but I do feel strongly about consumer rights, and I believe we should be told exactly what we're eating.

What do you reckon, oh wise SNet folks?
Old 22 September 2006, 11:41 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

For the last 500 years farmers have been deliberatley selecting and cross breeding for the biggest yield, weed resistance, longest life etc etc. No one ever bothered about this.

GM just makes this process quicker. Don't be a luddite, accept it as the progress which it is.

If we ddin't have the popular press and the tree huggers whinging on about frankenstein genes and similar then GM would be accepted and something to be proud of. But we live in an age of ignorance where people are anti-science and GM has been demonised to such an extent that to write contains GM will guarantee huge sales reductions.
Old 22 September 2006, 12:36 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
For the last 500 years farmers have been deliberatley selecting and cross breeding for the biggest yield, weed resistance, longest life etc etc. No one ever bothered about this.

GM just makes this process quicker. Don't be a luddite, accept it as the progress which it is.

If we ddin't have the popular press and the tree huggers whinging on about frankenstein genes and similar then GM would be accepted and something to be proud of. But we live in an age of ignorance where people are anti-science and GM has been demonised to such an extent that to write contains GM will guarantee huge sales reductions.
Then so be it. I can only 2 reasons for GM (yes it could seriously help in the 3rd world, but that's not why producers do it), either it improves the product we buy, in which case it should be our choice, or to make more money for the producers. Frankly I don't care about their profit margins.
Old 22 September 2006, 12:43 PM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by Chelspeed

You obviously know nothing on the subject. For the past 500 years they have not been breeding wheat with jellyfish proteins and other completely unrelated genes.

Nor have they been messing around with suicide genes for 500 years, which if done wrong could kill any amount of crops in 1 fell swoop. Now wouldn't it be nice if the good old USA could get everyone using their seeds (the US govt have a patent for the suicide gene). You **** them off and they kill all your food.
Old 24 September 2006, 10:29 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think that messing about with nature like that is a dangerous game and I want to know whether an item is genetically engineered.

Les
Old 24 September 2006, 10:40 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Anyone who believes unreservedly the assurances of chemical, pharmaceutical or biotech companies on any subject in which they have such an obvious vested interest, is simple in the extreme!

For those simpletons here's a few other '100% safe to humans' products/concepts from the above: Thalidomide, DDT, Agent Orange, Bonemeal, etc. The list goes on