ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Poll: Should GM food be labelled? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/545665-poll-should-gm-food-be-labelled.html)

pwhittle 22 September 2006 11:16 AM

Poll: Should GM food be labelled?

Having munched my way through a pack of Walkers, I read on the bag that that they now use Sunseed oil, and have reduced saturated fat. The fact that Sunseed is a trademark, and the fat is reduced by 70% makes me think that it must be from GM crop.
I don't have strong feeling either way about GM, but I do feel strongly about consumer rights, and I believe we should be told exactly what we're eating.

What do you reckon, oh wise SNet folks?

hutton_d 22 September 2006 11:33 AM

Whether 'GM' is good or bad for you, and the jury is still out on most of it, because the powers that be seem to be 'forcing' it onto us due to pressures from the, mainly US based, Biotech companies then most people will be rightly suspicios.

Dave

Chelspeed 22 September 2006 11:41 AM

For the last 500 years farmers have been deliberatley selecting and cross breeding for the biggest yield, weed resistance, longest life etc etc. No one ever bothered about this.

GM just makes this process quicker. Don't be a luddite, accept it as the progress which it is.

If we ddin't have the popular press and the tree huggers whinging on about frankenstein genes and similar then GM would be accepted and something to be proud of. But we live in an age of ignorance where people are anti-science and GM has been demonised to such an extent that to write contains GM will guarantee huge sales reductions.

pwhittle 22 September 2006 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
For the last 500 years farmers have been deliberatley selecting and cross breeding for the biggest yield, weed resistance, longest life etc etc. No one ever bothered about this.

GM just makes this process quicker. Don't be a luddite, accept it as the progress which it is.

If we ddin't have the popular press and the tree huggers whinging on about frankenstein genes and similar then GM would be accepted and something to be proud of. But we live in an age of ignorance where people are anti-science and GM has been demonised to such an extent that to write contains GM will guarantee huge sales reductions.

Then so be it. I can only 2 reasons for GM (yes it could seriously help in the 3rd world, but that's not why producers do it), either it improves the product we buy, in which case it should be our choice, or to make more money for the producers. Frankly I don't care about their profit margins.

King RA 22 September 2006 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chelspeed

You obviously know nothing on the subject. For the past 500 years they have not been breeding wheat with jellyfish proteins and other completely unrelated genes.

Nor have they been messing around with suicide genes for 500 years, which if done wrong could kill any amount of crops in 1 fell swoop. Now wouldn't it be nice if the good old USA could get everyone using their seeds (the US govt have a patent for the suicide gene). You piss them off and they kill all your food.

Leslie 24 September 2006 10:29 AM

I think that messing about with nature like that is a dangerous game and I want to know whether an item is genetically engineered.

Les

CrisPDuk 24 September 2006 10:40 AM

Anyone who believes unreservedly the assurances of chemical, pharmaceutical or biotech companies on any subject in which they have such an obvious vested interest, is simple in the extreme!

For those simpletons here's a few other '100% safe to humans' products/concepts from the above: Thalidomide, DDT, Agent Orange, Bonemeal, etc. The list goes on:mad: