Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fat kids = child abuse?

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2006, 01:56 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat kids = child abuse?

Not sure if its just me, but Im noticing more and more fat kids about these days (not including medical reasons for it).

Some of these are about 6 years old, so its not like they're getting themselves to McDonalds and buying burgers, therefore its the parents lack of caring and responsibility that is opening up their children to all the problems that come with being overweight (heart disease, strokes, diabetes, off the top of my head, but loads more).

Surely this is a form of child abuse, how can a child end up potentially having their life ruined by the parent who's responsible for their diet and wellbeing, and yet the parent never has anything brought against them for not enforcing that responsibility?

By the time the child reaches an age where they realise they are overweight (probably through teasing at school), and can actually try and change the situation, it may be too late, which is why there are 18 stone 16 year olds, who's health has been completely ruined by their parents.

Imagine you develope diabetes at age 11, your life completely changes, and you have a illness that will be with you the rest of your life, and yet it could have been avoided through your parents making you eat properly.

Not being horrible, but adults who are fat without having some medical condition that causes it, p*ss me off. There's no excuse, I find them disgusting, and we also end up paying for all their numerous fat related illnesses through the NHS, they even get those stomach do dangs that restrict how much they eat on the NHS!! How pathetic, Ive got no time for people like that, and its often these people that are the biggest culprits of child obesity.

I think the government should look into the more extreme cases of preventable child obesity, and prosecute the parents for physical child abuse, that would bring it down somewhat, and probably give a lot of children the same chances in life other well looked after children get. If the parents wont take the responsibility, the government should.

and dont get me started on parents that smoke around their children, bloody chavs, they sit with a kid on their lap, or in the car, and puff away on their cigarettes, too selfish to wait until their child isnt there, helping them develope lung cancer and asthma at a young age, yet once again, you can sit and blow smoke in a childs face all day, but nothing will happen to you, even if the child gets a disease directly related to the fact you smoked around them.

I am blown away by some parents. They know that obesity and smoking will cause their children considerable, often life threatening, harm, yet are too selfish to stop doing it, they arent fit to be parents IMO.

No doubt there may be a few people on here that fall into the above catagories, so if Ive offended you in any way, f*ck off.
Old 18 September 2006, 02:02 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

I totally agree, yet most people are scared to discipline their kids in any form these days due to the namby pampy laws to protect children, which in this case is the having the opposing effect.

Kids should be given a normal healthy balanced diet both at school and at home, those that can't be bothered preparing fresh food and organising lunches for their children shouldn't have had kids.
Old 18 September 2006, 02:07 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

I agree, but the problem is changing anything isnt easy at all. Mealtimes consist of ready-meals and takeaways for these people simply because they dont know what to eat or even how to cook in many cases. Im constantly shocked by the amount of people in their late teens and twenties who cant even prepare and cook the simplest meals. Their idea of "cooking" is reading the heating instructions on a packet to see how long it should be microwaved for.

Another large part of this is laziness and boredom. My older sister is proper-fat. Must be clinically obese now, and her 12 year old daughter is currently very skinny. When they get in from work / school, my sister starts on snacks and crisps because she is bored. My neice is starting to follow suit and it worries me. My sister was also very skinny aged 12, but through her teens due to snack/comfort eating has bloated right up. Now is the time she should be setting an example for her daughter, but nothing is happening.
Old 18 September 2006, 02:14 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

yes, the school my 3 go to are really big on healthy eating and so on, so I was a bit shocked when I collected my daughter this morning to see her walk out of the class with a goody bag full of sweets and crisps because it was someone's birthday!!

Fair enough if that's what the parent wants to give their child/children, but I don't want mine having them

I try to cut out as much crap as possible out of my kids diet, I have been filling their lunchboxes with wholemeal sandwiches and fruit My little boy's not too happy anout the amount of fruit, but if he's hungry he will eat it and hpefully get a taste for it

In the past, I admit I wasn't as clued up on the consequences of what I fed my kids, so have given them take aways and crisps, sweets and chocolate, (not all the time, just occasionally) but I have been making an effort to give them much better food , I don't mind them having the odd treat, but don't want them having too much rubbish
Old 18 September 2006, 02:18 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Society in general needs to change IMO.

THere are far too many products available now which I think is why people eat what they do.

Why prepare and make fresh food when they can get a ready meal out of the freezer and nuke it for a couple of minutes?

It's all for convenience these days

Half the health issues today are caused by bad diet etc, years ago, people ate properly, but since all this processed food and ready meals in packets and tins has become available, the nation has got more and more lazy and unhealthy as a result. If people actually realised how much saturated fat, salt and sugars etc are in most of the stuff you can buy these days, they might think twice!
Old 18 September 2006, 02:26 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Yet we live longer and longer
Old 18 September 2006, 02:28 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Yes - again I agree with the above.

I have 3 children, all under 4 y/o, and they never have salty or sweet snacks. They have 3 square meals, fruit, yogurt, carrots and very low sugar dilute pop. Our 2 oldest kids stopped having dummy's by their first birthday [as they could walk and it looked strange], non of them got to 6 months before they were in their own room, 7pm has always been their bed time, and they all [including my 11 month old daughter] do 12 hours. By their 2nd birthday they were in pants, using a toilet. They wash their hands before eating, after they have been to the bathroom, turn off lights, shut doors and say please and thank you.

They are such happy children, yet we know people who think we are punishing our 'poor kids' by not giving them ‘what they want’, like space invader 15p crisps, and rola cola [as they give their under weight 2 year old]. For them, bed time is 11pm-12am, their 2 year old goes in their bed until she is a sleep, then gets moved into her cot at the end of the bed. They then get up at mid day, and tuck into some crisps, sweets, rola cola etc. She is still in nappies, still has dummies, looks drawn out, all are under weights and have digestion and depression 'issues'. Both of their older children have all the games consoles and TV's in their room’s to the extent that some weekends neither child appears – for 48 hours, which is fine by the parents.

It goes on,..............

I was brought up on common decency, no swearing, no answering back, exercise and fresh air, good diet - kids deserve a routine and good up bringing IMO.
Old 18 September 2006, 02:29 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Those that eat helthier probably do

THe others die young of heart disease. heart attacks, obesity and diabetes

And god knows what other health issues, partly their own doing and the younger ones is their parent's doing
Old 18 September 2006, 02:29 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
Yes - again I agree with the above.

I have 3 children, all under 4 y/o, and they never have salty or sweet snacks. They have 3 square meals, fruit, yogurt, carrots and very low sugar dilute pop is what they have. Our 2 oldest kids stopped having dummy's by their first birthday [as they could walk and it looked strange], non of them got to 6 months before they were in their own room, 7pm has always been their bed time, and they all [including my 11 month old daughter] do 12 hours. By their 2nd birthday they were in pants, using a toilet. They wash their hands before eating, after they have been to the bathroom, turn off lights, shut doors and say please and thank you.

They are such happy children, yet we know people who think we are punishing our 'poor kids' by not giving them ‘what they want’, like space invader 15p crisps, and rola cola [as they give their under weight 2 year old]. For them, bed time is 11pm-12am, their 2 year old goes in their bed until she is a sleep, then gets moved into her cot at the end of the bed. They then get up at mid day, and tuck into some crisps, sweets, rola cola etc. She is still in nappies, still has dummies, looks drawn out, all are under weights and have digestion and depression 'issues'. Both of their older children have all the games consoles and TV's in their room’s to the extent that some weekends neither child appears – for 48 hours, which is fine by the parents.

It goes on,..............

I was brought up on common decency, no swearing, no answering back, exercise and fresh air, good diet - kids deserve a routine and good up bringing IMO.
You liar

space raiders are only 10p
Old 18 September 2006, 02:32 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Makes me sick when I see young children with fizzy drinks, I REFUSE to let mine have any.

I don't know how much better diluted squash is, but I get the one with no added sugar or sweetners and it's weak if I make it (if my daughter's let loose on it she outs far too much in )
But saying that, they will drink water too.
I suppose it's a case of things being OK in moderation as part of a balanced diet etc
Old 18 September 2006, 02:43 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

It doesn't add up though, if we are supposedly killing ourselves through all these vices and poor eating, why is there not enough money in the pension funds
Old 18 September 2006, 02:50 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Because older people have been brought up on proper food and most still eat it, so live longer....I think
Old 18 September 2006, 03:20 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
It doesn't add up though, if we are supposedly killing ourselves through all these vices and poor eating, why is there not enough money in the pension funds
Medicine is to "blame", people who dont look after themselves find an array of medical wonders to keep them alive long after their bodies would have naturally given up.

As much as I respect and value how far medicine has come, and appreciate enormously what its done for so many people, it has also meant that even people who do nothing to improve their lifespan, live longer than they possibly should.
Old 18 September 2006, 04:58 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Lot of perfect parents on here

It can be hard work keeping track. My kids were drinking a carton of healthy looking fruit juice mix most days but I looked at the small print one day and found it had the equivalent of 15 spoons of sugar added per carton. I am mildly diabetic so this filled me with horror!

However my son seems to have survived on meatball sandwiches for many years. Not an ounce of fat on him and he hardly ever gets sick. My daughter eats far more heathily and seems to get most colds and sniffles that are going around.

The big difference over a few decades is the extra money available to get these attractive looking ready meals. dl
Old 18 September 2006, 05:36 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mate will be along with his tales of a girl he knows whos parents get her a full adult chinese meal for tea.
Old 18 September 2006, 05:42 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
My mate will be along with his tales of a girl he knows whos parents get her a full adult chinese meal for tea.
Well she'll be hungry again by supper then
Old 18 September 2006, 06:07 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Agree, fat people are disgusting and should not have access to free NHS healthcare, for "fat" related illnesses. Same for smokers, although I'm sure they would say they pay loads of tax already.

My kids are perfect too, mind you so am I and the wife is slim, what a perfect world we live in!!!

We do eat the occassional take out, but these days don't buy crips, biscuits, fizzy drinks, etc. Now where's that bag of Walkers Sensations..........

My sister lets her kids eat anything they want and she is on the large side Kids are going that way too, not sure why she wants them to look like her, perhaps it makes her feel better.
Old 18 September 2006, 07:39 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRMpE4C7oUM

Old 18 September 2006, 08:56 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Now if he had run from the paintball, he *might* have got fit and lost some weight