Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can I sue the police

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2006, 11:25 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I sue the police

Some time ago, some of you may remember my run in with the police. To cut a long story short, A police officer was verbally agressive and theatening towards me and my girlfriend.

At the time (approx 2 years ago) I accepted that he would be put on caution for what he did (ie noted in his pocket book etc) but now I have decided it is eating away at me too much and I want his career ended. He is a disgrace to the police force.

I will seek a solicitors judgement on Monday, but in the meantime am I still able to start civil procedings against him and the police force ?

Its a general question, but I have decided that as an officer of the law he is, in my opinion unfit to serve.

I know some of you are police officers, and im sure you are good at your job but this guy was a disgrace to the uniform and id like nothing more than to see him out of the police force.
Old 17 September 2006, 11:27 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remind me of the run in
Old 17 September 2006, 11:35 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Brun, the long and short of it was that we asked to speak to the manager of a shop about a mis sold item (phone credit) but whilst i popped out to get my phone from my car, my GF was threatened with "bigger lads than your boyfriend" so we rang the police.

The police "person" - i use the term loosly then turned up, assumed we were the bloody problem proceeded to give us the third degree, threatened to arrest my GF for crying FFS. and told me to "**** off before i get arrested" and that "f*ck off and if you come back in here tonight, i will make sure you spend the night in the cells" - all i did was ask him to listen. FYI I have NEVER , EVER been in trouble with the police, for the most part i respect em. HE then disappeared leaving us subject to the abuse from the third party. I mean FFS my mother is a magistrate and my father works for the police so i know they are for the most part good. It has however caused me resentment, worry and stress, seriously. I feel like he got away scot free
Old 17 September 2006, 11:42 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Also I might add that he *admitted* he was wrong but refused to apologise, even though he admitted to a senior officer he was wrong
Old 17 September 2006, 11:45 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Sorry but it sounds to me like you accepted their decision at the time and now you are out to see what you can get out of it, it looks to me like your just jumping on the compensation wagon rather than trying to get "justice".
Sorry, no doubt it's not what you want to hear but you asked for opinions
Old 17 September 2006, 11:52 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

James,

I can understand what you say. As for compensation, I don't want or need it. It just grates that this guy has effectively got off scott free. Its a case of I really, honestly, hand on heart, do not think justice has been served. Why ? I had a runin with the guy a few weeks back, as a third party I may add, and he is still as cocky and "im the law" vision that got him into **** in the first place, so it has done no good to date.

I'll even do you a deal, if I do go to court on this and win, ill donate ANY AND ALL proceeds to the NSPCC? You care to take me up on it? all friendly and such
Old 18 September 2006, 12:45 AM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

considering what the police have to deal with day in day out give him a break

get off your high horse and take it like a man rather than wanting to end his career

so what.....he didnt say please or thankyou..big deal

dont be so touchy...if that is the worst that has happened to you and is making your life miserable then you are doing ok

Lord Shrek....saving the bobby on the beat
Old 18 September 2006, 01:45 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

im no big police fan iv met my some ***** in my time but must agree with shrek get over it move on forget about it

fwiw i think they will take the **** if you say im upset because a copper swore at me 2 years ago
Old 18 September 2006, 03:04 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Stu

As a serving officer, you are right to complain. I take it that the complaint about him was made shortly after the event and he was given some sort of warning. I'm not sure how the complaint process works (as I don't get any ), but I assume that you were consulted and were happy with the outcome at the time.

If that’s the case, it will be seen as being dealt with internally and finalised. The chance of you making a further complaint (either police or civil) may not go far as it will be seen as taking two bites of the cherry.

Just for info, the punishment he will have got would by along the lines of a warning. This stays on his record for a while and prevents him from moving and promotions etc. Also any further cases will give more serious consequences to him and may ultimately loose him his job.
Old 18 September 2006, 06:16 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

I can understand why you feel p**sed off but why leave it approx 2 year's later to bring it back up ??
Old 18 September 2006, 07:10 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stueyb
Some time ago, some of you may remember my run in with the police. To cut a long story short, A police officer was verbally agressive and theatening towards me and my girlfriend.

At the time (approx 2 years ago) I accepted that he would be put on caution for what he did (ie noted in his pocket book etc) but now I have decided it is eating away at me too much and I want his career ended. He is a disgrace to the police force.

I will seek a solicitors judgement on Monday, but in the meantime am I still able to start civil procedings against him and the police force ?

Its a general question, but I have decided that as an officer of the law he is, in my opinion unfit to serve.

I know some of you are police officers, and im sure you are good at your job but this guy was a disgrace to the uniform and id like nothing more than to see him out of the police force.
Two years on !!!!

You will get ripped to shreads by a decent brief.
Old 18 September 2006, 08:13 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I'm wearing decent briefs today I hope there's no ripping to shreds where they're concerned

Seriously, now the complaint has been closed, you wont get a further go after two years... He's had his warning and that's that... Time to move on dude...
Old 18 September 2006, 08:39 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

You haven't got a snowball's.

I bet your magistrate mum will tell you that you are wasting everyone's time??
Old 18 September 2006, 08:45 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

considering what the police have to deal with day in day out give him a break

get off your high horse and take it like a man rather than wanting to end his career

so what.....he didnt say please or thankyou..big deal

dont be so touchy...if that is the worst that has happened to you and is making your life miserable then you are doing ok
Totally agree

Had it been a petrol pump attendant or a bin man, taxi driver or whatever, you would of got over it long ago.

Just leave it and take it as a lesson learned

People can be w@nkers regardless the job they do....
Old 18 September 2006, 08:45 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

What ?, no following him home and torching his house
Old 18 September 2006, 09:06 AM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

get over it... it happened 2 years ago. forget it, move on...
Old 18 September 2006, 09:12 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Are you going to sue everybody in life who tell's you to **** off?

...... two years down the road and you still want revenge, to the point of this copper losing his job!..... you seem like a complete feckin cry-baby mentalist....... are you going to sue me know (or in two years time!).

Maybe this copper did indeed 'have your number'.............
Old 18 September 2006, 09:19 AM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

'I mean FFS my mother is a magistrate and my father works for the police so i know they are for the most part good.'

There lies the problem....the superiority complex

your mum is a magistrate....what do you want...a fekin iron cross?

you sound like a spoilt little public school rich kid who wants his own way the whole time

'Had it been a petrol pump attendant or a bin man, taxi driver or whatever, you would of got over it long ago.'

exactly and there are always two sides to the coin anyway

Lord Shrek.....'daddy i want to go to alton towers'......Lord shrek's response '**** off!!!!!!!'
Old 18 September 2006, 09:23 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Lord Shrek
Lord Shrek.....'daddy i want to go to alton towers'......Lord shrek's response '**** off!!!!!!!'
Old 18 September 2006, 09:25 AM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Miss Kinky
get over it... it happened 2 years ago. forget it, move on...

Sounds like the right aproach to me. And I'm not any fan of the Police.....
Old 18 September 2006, 10:21 AM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stueyb
Also I might add that he *admitted* he was wrong but refused to apologise, even though he admitted to a senior officer he was wrong
This is the only thing you should be following up on imho. Swearing at you is a public order offence and I would have only been happy with a personal apology in front of the people in the shop. That would have taken him down a peg or two and made him realise that he wasn't the bees knees.

I know this happened a while back (probably under different laws), but when things like this happen and the police get away with what you allege then it really does put the whole system into perspective.

I'd speak to the IPCC if I were you, rather that dragging it through here.

Jules
Old 18 September 2006, 10:25 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

See this link to an earlier post of mine

https://www.scoobynet.com/hurray-lia...lice+complaint

We debated doing it for a while, but my wife felt so strongly about it, we have made a formal complaint about the police officer in question via the IPCC (Independent Police Complaint Commission), although we originally complained to the top man at the local nick, who has obviously passed it to the appropriate channels.

I wondered if it was the right thing to (I was obviously slightly afraid of any repercusion on either of us) but as we now know, the officer in question has already been disciplined for doing the same thing to another woman "recently". I was originally prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, but now I'm glad we complained and he deserves whatever he gets (which the IPCC think will be dismissal).
Old 18 September 2006, 11:13 AM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

stop encouraging him you bunch of politically correct nimby nerds

Lord Shrek......fighting against the freaks who stop our kids doing forward roly polys whilst advocating the rights of paedos to be re-homed and re-intergrated into society next to a primary school
Old 18 September 2006, 12:04 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I'm with the majority. Forget it and move on.
Old 18 September 2006, 01:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You are doing a comprehensive job of trolling Lord Shrek, for that is all your posts can be regarded as.

No copper has the right to behave like he did according to Stueyb's description and he therefore deserves to be put right by the authorities.

Sounds like someone who can't wait for the police state to arrive. Thank goodness most coppers are reasonable and polite though.

Les
Old 18 September 2006, 01:12 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

No copper has the right to behave like he did according to Stueyb's description and he therefore deserves to be put right by the authorities.
Leslie

2 years ago

Something clearly not working properly up top, if it's still bothering him !
Old 18 September 2006, 01:23 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lord Shrek
I think a lot more people need to take this into consideration in life.

Andy
Old 18 September 2006, 02:01 PM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

dont be such a drama queen leslie

a bit of verbal and physical intimidation is part and parcel of life...**** happens so deal with it and take it on the chin like a man

if you are going to cry to mummy every time you receive incoming then there is no hope

2 sides to every argument like i say and from the sounds of it the thread starter wanting to end someones career over this sounds way OTT and fekin insane

if you dont think so then you must need your head testing Leslie and anyone wanting to jump on the 'police are heavy-handed in a full scale riot' brigade

Lord Shrek......'daddy can i have a mobile phone for christmas?'.....Lord Shreks response 'what part of the words FUKC OFF dont you understand!!!'
Old 18 September 2006, 09:18 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Lord Shrek

what part of the words FUKC OFF dont you understand!!!'

[/QUOTE]

think you ought to take note.

Ok so they guy hasnt got over it big deal, but you dont seem to understand it period!

if you were championing my case, id have used a bottle of paraffin and a match, your more hindrance than help!!

Mart