Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Which SatNav system is your choice ??
SatNav on mobile
35.71%
Dedicated SatNav
50.00%
PDA SatNav
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Sat Nav on mobiles ??? Should I ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2006, 05:52 PM
scooby595
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sat Nav on mobiles ??? Should I ?

I've currently got a satnav system on my PDA, been running it 3 years and lately it keeps crashing BIG style, loosing the favourites, etc. I've done a FULL reset on my pda & re-installed TomTom5 on the PDA (HP2210) and on the memory card several times over, but it still keeps crashing.

I'm thinking that maybe I should update and get a new nav system. I've got a NokiaN70 & love it. Is TomTom 5 mobile any good on mobile phones? What is the draw back of having satnav on your phone, if any ??

Would appreciate any views you have on satnav on phones vs dedicated satnav systems ??

Thanks,

Steve
Old 29 May 2006, 05:58 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted a dedicated sat nav unit - if it went wrong it at least didn't take anything else with it and I wouldn't be without my PDA when my other half went off adventure racing at weekends either.
Old 29 May 2006, 06:20 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Got it on my P910.

Advantage - goes everywhere with me. Nice to be able to consult the Map while I walk, even with no GPS mouse! No second "unit" to have to take out of the car each time or hide in the glovebox.

Disads - no dedicated buttons, use and setup can be far more fiddly (takes ?3mins to start each time to load the prog and find the satellites), extremely difficult to use while on the move (eg motorway has a jam, quick get off this exit and replot me a non-motorway route).

Third option is to get one integrated into the car, but in my limited experience these are five times the price (or more) of a TomTom and the maps aren't as good.

Anyway, don't worry; in a few years the EU will force you to have one, so the choice will be made for you
Old 29 May 2006, 07:18 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I got it on my phone it was ok (N70 + Tom Tom) but the screen was to small and it cut out a couple of time so I bought a Garmin C310 for 200 quid from Halfords and it is superb, to be honest if you buy TomTom for your phone its as expensive as a full unit plus all the fiddling about to install it etc, the Garmin one is touch screen and just works really well.

If you do go for the Phone based, the 'Holox' GPS unit of Ebay is great, picks up signals indoors really well and only 40 odd quid, the Ebay ads make it look cheap and tack but its really quite well made.
Old 29 May 2006, 07:22 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Been using tomtom5 on my C500 for about a year, and its been good - but the screen is a bit too small to be honest.

If you use it a lot then a dedicated unit or PDA is the way forward.

Phone satnav is fine if you only use it on rare occasions.
Old 29 May 2006, 07:54 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

my tom tom used to always crash and i kept on losing things. I deleted everything of my pda updated all my drivers and put on the latest version of tom tom and now it works fine,
Old 29 May 2006, 09:11 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I have tt5 on my dell axim,

far better than a dedicated unit, as you can do more things with them

Mart
Old 30 May 2006, 12:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Those AA road maps are really cheap now, and they don't go wrong or try to get you to drive through deep fords etc.

Les
Old 30 May 2006, 01:35 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've been using CoPilot on an Orange SPV C500 for over a year. Don't know how I ever managed without it. Very easy to use and much more portable than a dedicated unit as it will slip into your pocket.

http://www.alk.eu.com/copilot/smartphone.asp

T-Mobile have offers which include thr Sat-Nav kit.
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher...phones_details
Old 31 May 2006, 05:40 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Wink

Originally Posted by Leslie
Those AA road maps are really cheap now, and they don't go wrong or try to get you to drive through deep fords etc.

Les
They do if I'm the one reading the map though I'm useless, I have gender on my side and I intend to use the excuse!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 31 May 2006, 07:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Les cheats, he always has his own navigator, called Ginger or something usually, hanfy for finding German Dams at night, what what old chap.
Old 31 May 2006, 09:28 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby595
I've currently got a satnav system on my PDA, been running it 3 years and lately it keeps crashing BIG style, loosing the favourites, etc. I've done a FULL reset on my pda & re-installed TomTom5 on the PDA (HP2210) and on the memory card several times over, but it still keeps crashing.

I'm thinking that maybe I should update and get a new nav system. I've got a NokiaN70 & love it. Is TomTom 5 mobile any good on mobile phones? What is the draw back of having satnav on your phone, if any ??

Would appreciate any views you have on satnav on phones vs dedicated satnav systems ??

Thanks,

Steve

Are you using a bluetooth GPS reciever with your 2210???? If so there are known issues with the bluetooth stack crashing, and causing the system to hang. I've been there, and solved it using a freeware 'bluetooth tweaker' program.

Proby