ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Sat Nav on mobiles ??? Should I ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/519094-sat-nav-on-mobiles-should-i.html)

scooby595 29 May 2006 05:52 PM

Sat Nav on mobiles ??? Should I ?

I've currently got a satnav system on my PDA, been running it 3 years and lately it keeps crashing BIG style, loosing the favourites, etc. I've done a FULL reset on my pda & re-installed TomTom5 on the PDA (HP2210) and on the memory card several times over, but it still keeps crashing.

I'm thinking that maybe I should update and get a new nav system. I've got a NokiaN70 & love it. Is TomTom 5 mobile any good on mobile phones? What is the draw back of having satnav on your phone, if any ??

Would appreciate any views you have on satnav on phones vs dedicated satnav systems ??

Thanks,

Steve

scoob_babe 29 May 2006 05:58 PM

I wanted a dedicated sat nav unit - if it went wrong it at least didn't take anything else with it and I wouldn't be without my PDA when my other half went off adventure racing at weekends either.

Brendan Hughes 29 May 2006 06:20 PM

Got it on my P910.

Advantage - goes everywhere with me. Nice to be able to consult the Map while I walk, even with no GPS mouse! No second "unit" to have to take out of the car each time or hide in the glovebox.

Disads - no dedicated buttons, use and setup can be far more fiddly (takes ?3mins to start each time to load the prog and find the satellites), extremely difficult to use while on the move (eg motorway has a jam, quick get off this exit and replot me a non-motorway route).

Third option is to get one integrated into the car, but in my limited experience these are five times the price (or more) of a TomTom and the maps aren't as good.

Anyway, don't worry; in a few years the EU will force you to have one, so the choice will be made for you ;)

J4CKO 29 May 2006 07:18 PM

I got it on my phone it was ok (N70 + Tom Tom) but the screen was to small and it cut out a couple of time so I bought a Garmin C310 for 200 quid from Halfords and it is superb, to be honest if you buy TomTom for your phone its as expensive as a full unit plus all the fiddling about to install it etc, the Garmin one is touch screen and just works really well.

If you do go for the Phone based, the 'Holox' GPS unit of Ebay is great, picks up signals indoors really well and only 40 odd quid, the Ebay ads make it look cheap and tack but its really quite well made.

Petem95 29 May 2006 07:22 PM

Been using tomtom5 on my C500 for about a year, and its been good - but the screen is a bit too small to be honest.

If you use it a lot then a dedicated unit or PDA is the way forward.

Phone satnav is fine if you only use it on rare occasions.

vallumlj 29 May 2006 07:54 PM

my tom tom used to always crash and i kept on losing things. I deleted everything of my pda updated all my drivers and put on the latest version of tom tom and now it works fine,

mart360 29 May 2006 09:11 PM

I have tt5 on my dell axim,

far better than a dedicated unit, as you can do more things with them

Mart

Leslie 30 May 2006 12:08 PM

Those AA road maps are really cheap now, and they don't go wrong or try to get you to drive through deep fords etc.

Les :)

Andrew Timmins 30 May 2006 01:35 PM

I've been using CoPilot on an Orange SPV C500 for over a year. Don't know how I ever managed without it. Very easy to use and much more portable than a dedicated unit as it will slip into your pocket.

http://www.alk.eu.com/copilot/smartphone.asp

T-Mobile have offers which include thr Sat-Nav kit.
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher...phones_details

scoob_babe 31 May 2006 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie
Those AA road maps are really cheap now, and they don't go wrong or try to get you to drive through deep fords etc.

Les :)

They do if I'm the one reading the map though :( I'm useless, I have gender on my side and I intend to use the excuse!!!!!!!!!!!!

J4CKO 31 May 2006 07:22 PM

Les cheats, he always has his own navigator, called Ginger or something usually, hanfy for finding German Dams at night, what what old chap.

Proby521 31 May 2006 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by scooby595
I've currently got a satnav system on my PDA, been running it 3 years and lately it keeps crashing BIG style, loosing the favourites, etc. I've done a FULL reset on my pda & re-installed TomTom5 on the PDA (HP2210) and on the memory card several times over, but it still keeps crashing.

I'm thinking that maybe I should update and get a new nav system. I've got a NokiaN70 & love it. Is TomTom 5 mobile any good on mobile phones? What is the draw back of having satnav on your phone, if any ??

Would appreciate any views you have on satnav on phones vs dedicated satnav systems ??

Thanks,

Steve

Are you using a bluetooth GPS reciever with your 2210???? If so there are known issues with the bluetooth stack crashing, and causing the system to hang. I've been there, and solved it using a freeware 'bluetooth tweaker' program.

Proby