VOSA On The Motorways

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2005, 10:58 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default VOSA On The Motorways

Who are these noobs?

Loadsa flashing lights etc & I "think" they're out there to clear up the stuff the police are too busy for etc

but

I followed one up the M11 (slightly but slightly foggy) who decided that it was his abundant duty to sit in the outside lane for nigh on 10 miles at nearly the limit.

Being a good ( ) citizen I didn't undertake him but kept behind dipping into the inner lanes & pulling behind him when needed to & eventually, he pulled into the middle lane to allow me past & then back out once I had done.

Now, what are these guys rolls, any authority, any training or are they just dayglo with self-importance?
Old 25 November 2005, 11:04 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

***** thats what they are

Jobsworths to be honest, bit like traffic wardens & ****ey security guards
Old 25 November 2005, 11:04 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

They are the guys that inspect cars up here..... Usually see them positioned with the feds on the road leading up to Crail on 1/4 Mile/Track Days, they have lightmeters for tints and check exhausts for noise regs and emissions in addition to all the normal checks on tyres etc.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 25 November 2005, 11:09 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

What do you expect when the advertised starting salary for the ones around here was ~£14k + shift allowance.

They are indeed there to take over duties which have historically been carried out by the BiB's. But of course, we don't need them anymore, because we have speed cameras
Old 25 November 2005, 11:10 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

They have advertised in the local rag up here today.... c20k rising to c24k....

Cheers,
Grant
Old 25 November 2005, 11:12 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

VOSA = DETR = VI (vehicle inspectorate)

Every few years they like to spend a few million of taxpayers money to change their name
Old 26 November 2005, 12:56 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Surely not VOSA but The Highways Agency. Driving 4x4's that look just like Police except they only have amber not blue lights and tiny 'Highways Agency' stickers.

Usually doing 50mph in lane 1.
Old 26 November 2005, 01:08 AM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

They are frequent visitors to Dover port and I've seen them giving freight drivers of all nationalities a hard time. Almost like a mini-MOT there and then.
They can be a pain and give out instant prohibition notices too as I understand it.
Most of the ones I've spoken to are ex-police traffic officers and have an attitude that gives off the "I know best" thing. Was interested to hear their take on American size plates on imported american cars which was incorrect, so don't be frightened to challenge them on points you think are 50/50 and ask to see it in their manual.
Old 26 November 2005, 07:57 AM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by speedking
Surely not VOSA but The Highways Agency. Driving 4x4's that look just like Police except they only have amber not blue lights and tiny 'Highways Agency' stickers.

Usually doing 50mph in lane 1.
Said lights and tiny stickers have everyone slowing down to 55... watch the motorway suddenly back up.

I believe if they want you to stop, you have to
Old 26 November 2005, 08:01 AM
wazza2770
Scooby Regular

Dont get confused guys.. VOSA are not these flaming Highways patrol traffic officers.

VOSA are vehicle inspectorate LGV and PCV (Lorries and Busses) are there targets. Looking for Dangerous vehicles, to keep us safe on the roads. They have the power to stop these classes of vehicles in order to check them out. Prohibit them and take them off the road. Its amazing what dangerous lorries there are on our roads. Its an agency you should support as they are there to protect the road user and to prosecute rouge truckers.

Like many agencies, they are not loved by the motorist but when you see the good they actually do, you would soon support them. A dangerous Artic with No brakes and an overload smashing into your scooby would sting quite a bit would it not?

Highways traffic patrols...I Have not got a good word to say about them, sorry but policing on the cheap on our roads. little power even little common sense some of them.

Last edited by wazza2770; 26 November 2005 at 08:07 AM.
Old 26 November 2005, 08:10 AM
wazza2770
Scooby Regular

They can stop cars, but not for police style things like speeding, they can only stop vehicles that they suspect are dangerous or unroadworthy. It is an offence to fail to comply with their directions. They cant pursue you, they would call in police to do that.
Old 26 November 2005, 08:15 AM
wazza2770
Scooby Regular

Puff the magic wagon said;" Now, what are these guys rolls, any authority, any training or are they just dayglo with self-importance?"

They have the authority to stop and deal with Dangerous vehicles and prohibit, prosecute and sieze them.

Training well they are highly efficient and knowledgeable of the laws relating to condition ect.....

Dayglo with self importance... you get that in all uniformed agencies. I think this explains your other point; I followed one up the M11 (slightly but slightly foggy) who decided that it was his abundant duty to sit in the outside lane for nigh on 10 miles at nearly the limit.

Being a good ( ) citizen I didn't undertake him but kept behind dipping into the inner lanes & pulling behind him when needed to & eventually, he pulled into the middle lane to allow me past .......... GOOD BOY

Last edited by wazza2770; 26 November 2005 at 08:17 AM.
Old 26 November 2005, 08:19 AM
wazza2770
Scooby Regular

Sti-o4!! said "***** thats what they are

Jobsworths to be honest, bit like traffic wardens & ****ey security guards"

Have you now changed your view?
Old 26 November 2005, 08:33 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by wazza2770
Sti-o4!! said "***** thats what they are

Jobsworths to be honest, bit like traffic wardens & ****ey security guards"

Have you now changed your view?
No i havent mate, i know all fine well what they are

There still *****

Have a nice day now
Old 26 November 2005, 08:37 AM
wazza2770
Scooby Regular

Oh dear, poor Sti-04!! you have really got the hump havn't you. Oh well no pleasing everyone. All I ask you to do, is "take care out there" and keep away from big, smelly, dirty, unlawful, dangerous, overwight trucks with a mad, drug crazed foriegn driver, who is on his mobile phone, and watching TV.

Last edited by wazza2770; 26 November 2005 at 08:39 AM.
Old 26 November 2005, 08:49 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh dear, poor Sti-04!! you have really got the hump havn't you. Oh well no pleasing everyone. All I ask you to do, is "take care out there" and keep away from big, smelly, dirty, unlawful, dangerous, overwight trucks with a mad, drug crazed foriegn driver, who is on his mobile phone, and watching TV.

Ah the type of 1/2 asleep Polish driver in a German artic that side-swiped me on the A14 a couple of years back?
Old 26 November 2005, 08:55 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Oh dear, poor Sti-04!! you have really got the hump haven't you. Oh well no pleasing everyone. All I ask you to do, is "take care out there" and keep away from big, smelly, dirty, unlawful, dangerous, overweight trucks with a mad, drug crazed foreign driver, who is on his mobile phone, and watching TV.
I always take care mate

As for the hump, nah just dont like them, all jobsworth on ****e money. IMHO of course.

Puff - he had probably just finished his 3rd bottle of vodka
Old 26 November 2005, 04:05 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

A little lost here with wazza's answers. Can highways agency pull you?
Old 26 November 2005, 04:33 PM
pauly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
A little lost here with wazza's answers. Can highways agency pull you?
yes
the jeepy lookin 1's just cruise up and down the motorways lookin busy and lookin for broken down cars they then sit behind them with lights on till the tow trucks come along, just keeping the roads safe.
i hate the fekkers they pulled my truck last week and went over it with a finetooth comb nothing wrong with it and half an hour later i was allowed to go..
twice i been pulled up in last 3 months.. wouldn't mind but the truck is only a year old!!

they also set up road checks sometimes alongside the police if your waved in to pull over they check your car and anything your towing over things like tyres tax emissions (if your driving a diesel they'll check to see if your running on red)and your lights etc
90% of people have nothing to worry about
if however you decide fekkit i aint stoppin you'll get nicked

Last edited by pauly; 26 November 2005 at 04:42 PM.
Old 26 November 2005, 04:42 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Saw them today on the M4, they pulled in front of an artic and turned on a flashing "Vehicle check follow me" sign on the roof!

Can they really legally pull you? Doubt I'd stop, I don't like the look of them!
Old 26 November 2005, 04:54 PM
pauly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Saw them today on the M4, they pulled in front of an artic and turned on a flashing "Vehicle check follow me" sign on the roof!

Can they really legally pull you? Doubt I'd stop, I don't like the look of them!
yes they can and if you don't they call the old bill and you'll get a nick. they'll leave you alone though if your car aint a bag of $hite unless they have a roadside check set up. they have specific sites for these which you MIGHT be able to find a list of somewhere.
Old 26 November 2005, 04:57 PM
birtywrx
Scooby Regular

not only can they stop you, they can take your car if they aint happy.........!
Old 26 November 2005, 05:34 PM
wazza2770
Scooby Regular

Boys boys boys.. Vosa can do all that, but the Highways traffic officers are not so empowered. they are only glorified broken down car baby sitters. They have the power to direct traffic and cause it to stop in the execution of there duty in road safety. they cant stop you and go through your car and give you grief or issue you with speeding tickets.. They are NOT Police they are NOT Constables, They are not vehicle inspectorates, they are simply guys and gals who look out for broken down cars and cone them off to wait for tow trucks, they will go (Legally, legal speeds ect) to motorway accidents to do the coning and waiting for police and tow trucks. So dont be alarmed by their presence, they are only patrols to the highways authority to keep traffic flowing and safe if they stop. NO they cannot stop you and do you for anything. They can however stop or direct you in times of danger or diversion, you must comply with their directions then. Does that make sense.
Old 27 November 2005, 10:51 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Thanks wazza - this was my original thinking about them but some of the comments on here had me confused.