Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Career Change for a Social Worker

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2005, 10:15 AM
supna
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Career Change for a Social Worker

Basically my other half is jacking her job in Social Services because she is fed up with being treated like **** and not having any money for funding (Good old NL, cue PSLewis no doubt ). Her job is actually very stressful and underpaid IMO. What other careers can a Qualified Social Worker go into??
Old 27 October 2005, 10:38 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Prime Minister?
Old 27 October 2005, 10:42 AM
supna
Scooby Regular

Hmmm theres a thought!!!
Old 27 October 2005, 10:51 AM
_RIP_
BANNED

i though social workers now earned up to £28K, and a good bit more for team leaders, mho's etc. with local authorities giving social workers lease cars and a decent persion i'd say she will be hard pushed to get this elsewhere unless she retrains, perhaps as a plummer or something she could always go and work with the voluntary sector organisations, as a manager if she has the experience. should be less stressful but then the pay will be similar with less job security (and perks) than she has at the moment. which field of social services does she work in?
Old 27 October 2005, 10:52 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

she could try counselling for a charity. CAncer Uk take on counsellors. might be a big drop in pay but at least you have the satisfaction of knowing you have helped someone
Old 27 October 2005, 10:55 AM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

why doesn't she open a care home for kids, and take them out of the community where they are only a problem to the home and not the police
Seriously tho, only qualified social workers can do this, assuming she has DipSW, or CQSW?
the money is huge, but so are the responsibilities, I worked as a residential social worker for 2 years before being attacked and run over by one of the kids, breaking my leg and ending my career.
the money for the boss was immense, but the staff pay was.
however, when i got ran over the boss sold up and moved into his new 2 million pound house, never to be heard of again, except when he pops out in his new X5!
but your missus will have to think about policy etc, with regard to negative enforcement and measures of control, and will need to read up on the care homes act and the childrens act.
i say get out of social care altogether, and do somethin constructive, i have opened my own business as a wholesaler supplying hagh street fashion shops, best thing i ever did!
Old 27 October 2005, 11:06 AM
supna
Scooby Regular

Money is not everything. She went down to part time after having our little un but her case load has not decreased any. £28k is top whack for a senior SW. Salaries vary council to council. She works with people with learning disabilities and challenging behaviour. She is on currently £25k pro rata which in todays working world is not really a fantastic salary considering whats involved.
Old 27 October 2005, 11:09 AM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

no i agree, my missus did the same job, she used to come home every day with scratches all over her, got some really nice scars on her hands and arms now.
she has started working with kids, got sexually assaulted by one the other day, needless to say i reckon she should get out of care as it is a thankless job and it can affect your home life greatly.
Old 27 October 2005, 11:11 AM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

HR, most decent sized companies have dedicated HR departments now, just an idea but her people skills and ability to be sympathetic whilst being balanced while dealing with people and their problems would be an assest.

Would be a complete change in direction, but maybe that's what she needs. Or, she could go back to study and learn something completely different as a new career.