Busted apple IPOD. Not a tech question

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2005, 04:10 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Busted apple IPOD. Not a tech question

HI All,

My G/f has an ipod that I bought for her approx a year ago give a few weeks but to save getting pi$$ed around with faulty ipods and whose gonna fix it etc. Who is responsable to fix it, would it be Apple or would it be Dabs ?
Old 25 October 2005, 04:15 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Under warranty; should you elect to take this route, it will be Apple. The vendor is responsible during the period of warranty and for up to six years in England (five in NI & Scotland), should the product prove not to be durable.

Bear in mind though, that you have to expect to force the vendor to meet his legal obligation, rather than have them offer it to when you first contact them.

If the kit cant be repaired, then after the first year most vendors will offer you a depreciated credit which is acceptable, but look carefully at the period over which it is calculated. Its not uncommon for them to try to use an unreasonably short life expectancy of say, three years; which will greatly affect the compensation that you receive.

Simon
Old 25 October 2005, 08:54 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

If you can get to one of the Apple stores www.apple.com/uk/retail then take it in there to the "Genius Bar" and they will diagnose and possibly sort it for you. Either way they will be able to advise you what the best course of action is.
Old 25 October 2005, 09:21 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
If you can get to one of the Apple stores www.apple.com/uk/retail then take it in there to the "Genius Bar" and they will diagnose and possibly sort it for you. Either way they will be able to advise you what the best course of action is.
Last time i had a duff ipod i had ping pong from the indian chaps. The Genius bar sounds good TY Both of you
Old 25 October 2005, 10:17 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Erm, I have been drinking, but I think GC8 is wrong on this one

From what you have said I think it was purchased from Dabs, and NOT Apple.

You rights as a customer always point back to the trader that sold you the goods, NOT the manufacturer that made them. You have to be careful here. If you send the goods to Apple, without contacting Dabs, its is you who have requested the repair. This can cause problems if things get nasty.

As an example. Image you make a wardrobe and sell it to someone. You offer a 1 year warranty. 6 months down the line you get an invoice for the costs of the repair for the wardrobe. The person you sold it to took it to someone else to fix it without every contacting you. You would not have to pay the invoice, as they did not give you the opportunity to fix it.

The same could happen in this case. If you send it to Apple, and Apple are not prepared to fix it under their warranty scheme you will be obliged to pay for it. If you sent it back through Dabs, you would be protected by your consumer rights as it was they who sold it to you. (even though Dabs will just send it back to Apple anyway).

Best option is to contact Dabs and obtain their permission to send it back to Apple.

GC8, could you re-read and see if you agree with what I have said?
Old 25 October 2005, 11:15 PM
pete8tch
Scooby Newbie

my sons packed up twice , both times we returned it to dabs via their returns system .
its just back so its hopefully fixed, but not sure its gonna last though, seems a large scale problem
Old 26 October 2005, 12:47 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Erm, I have been drinking, GC8, could you re-read and see if you agree with what I have said?

I certainly agree! Seriously though, I think that youve misunderstood what Ive said. The Apple warranty is there and you can elect to benefit from it if you wish, however: the vendor is responsible.

Im sure it will be clearer in the morning.

Simon
Old 26 October 2005, 10:11 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

^^ Aye, ain't beer great Your first two sentences managed to have a totally different meaning in my poor little brain
Old 26 October 2005, 02:06 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Do yuo remember wanting to eat the worlds largest kebab too?
Old 26 October 2005, 02:10 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

I'm not surprised you want it fixing if she's put Busted on it
Old 26 October 2005, 02:50 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

My bosses daughters one broke a few weeks ago, it was bought from MicroWarehous I think, we contacted them and a day later we received through the post an envelope that contacted a box, security bag and a DHL bag with instructions on how to pack it and then phone DHL to come and collect it, the addresson the DHL bag was that of the Apple repair centre.

It went back, and we were sent a new one about a week later, the unit was bought last Christmas so not quite a year old.

Worth contacting Dabbs and seing what they say, was pretty painless in out experience.