Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mild concern - complete lack of interest?

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2005, 11:31 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Mild concern - complete lack of interest?

Over the past week or so I seem to have lost all interest in just about everything.

Can't really be bothered with work but I'm here and getting on with things at a decent pace. It was my GFs birthday yesterday and although I really didn't want to, I took her out and we had a really nice meal together. Our daughter is away for the week so we've had a chance to some time for the two of us but I have quite an odd feeling of can't be arsed-ness about things.

I've lost all interest in my hobbies (RC car racing, Slot car racing, Model Railway building) and am considering selling it all. I haven't raced my RC car for nearly 6 weeks due to other commitments and a steady reduction in my want to go in the first place. The other stuff I haven't touched for a few weeks.

Can't quite put my finger on whats changed but somethings gone a bit iffy and it seems to be worse this week. I do "up" as well as "down" but not usually "down" for this long. Not sure I would go as far as say I'm depressed becuase I'm reasonably happy inside. I just find it odd that the things that I've been interested in and enjoyed for so long have just become incidental to me in such a short space of time.

Anyone else felt like this before?
Old 26 August 2005, 11:33 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to show this thread the indifference it deserves.
Old 26 August 2005, 11:33 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Didn't you post the same thing several weeks ago?
Old 26 August 2005, 11:42 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
I'm going to show this thread the indifference it deserves.
Ha Ha! only just got that one

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
Didn't you post the same thing several weeks ago?
No, first time out on this one.
Old 26 August 2005, 12:09 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sounds like a bout of 'mild depression'..

If it lasts for 2 weeks in total then that should confirm it....

TBH if it's mild, then St Johns Wort will probably help give you a sufficient lift rather than bothering the GP who will just try and prescribe you Prozac or Seroxat

The one thing that sticks out from all your hobbies is that none of them involve any physical exercise....

I'd strongly recommend that you get hose endorphyns flowing by getting a bit more active...

Disclaimer

If you start getting suicidal and want to top yourself then .... err..... go see a doc
Old 26 August 2005, 12:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Maybe bored of routine of life. Go off the rails for abit can help - but usually afterwards it ends up worse than before.

Also get a blood test if you haven't had one recently...maybe an underlying cause (i.e blood sugar).
Old 26 August 2005, 12:42 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Im with Ali-B, Boredem, Ive got it too at the minute, 2 years ago I owuld have driven the length of the country for a car meet etc, now I find myself moaning I cant even be bothered to drive 30 miles up the road. Dont want to do anything but sit on play online games and drink lager...lol seriously though I think you need a change (as do I) maybe take a year out and travel the world (Id like too but numerous reasons why I cant ) although Im sure you wont because your routine will be disturbed even though you hate the current routine (i.e. lose job, house etc) I just canne be bothered anymore.
Old 26 August 2005, 12:44 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Slightly off topic but i was feeling a bit lethargic a few weeks back, headed to the docs who done a medical on me & said apart from being a little overweight then there was nothing he could fault, took a blood test & all seems fine at the moment !

One thing that was getting to me was work, there was a few big projects on the go that i was directly in charge of & now they have kinda tailed off & i feel loads better

Old 26 August 2005, 01:07 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

I get like this pretty regularly, I put mine down to working with family!

All of a sudden you will just snap out of it, and be happy etc again, or atleast have a more positive outlook. I cant really understand why, its a complete feeling of nothingness for a couple of weeks, then all of a sudden it goes.

Personally, when it gets to this point, I try and find something to look forward to. Something that is for me, like playing golf, or going for a night out with my mates, spending some cash on my car or golf gear etc.

If you have something to look forward to it can act as a light at the end of the tunnel, well it does for me lol.

Dont sell the bits from your hobby, as in a few days you will snap right back to normal, go do something that you really want to do, or try to look forward to something in the not to distant future.

Good luck.
Old 26 August 2005, 01:29 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll not be doing anything drastic just yet as I'm sure its just a passing phase I'm in. As for the exercise, I have to admit I haven't really been looking after myself recently. My daughter will be starting full time school next month and I'll be walking her to school and then biking on down to work and then biking (All uphill!) back home - hopefully see the benefit before long.

Where will I get St Johns Wort from? Boots or Holland and Barret? Haven't got any intentions of going to the docs becuase a, things aren't that bad and b, I don't fancy a life of prozac.

I'm still in love with my car so maybe I'll go and treat it to something new. Haven't driven it for ages so perhaps a quick blast will clear my head and cheer me up some
Old 26 August 2005, 01:55 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Where will I get St Johns Wort from? Boots or Holland and Barret?
Holland Barrett would be your best bet....St Johns Wort is well proven to help with a 'mild' dose of the blues. The tincture is a better form to take it in than tablets, but both work. Napiers do an excellent tincture, but it's expensive, it'll cost you around £8 a week and tastes disgusting

It does interfere with other medecines though...so weel worth checking out if you are taking anything else..... it interferes with the effectiveness of most contraceptive pills..... but I guess you'll be alright

It'll take around 2 weeks to get into your system before you notice any positive difference.

Good luck...... and get out on that bike and you'll feel loads better
Old 26 August 2005, 02:02 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

a chemical imbalance that can be adjusted with medication. nowt more to it that
Old 26 August 2005, 02:29 PM
Fuchsrohre
Scooby Regular

Old 26 August 2005, 02:36 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuchsrohre
LOL If anyone knows about the Church of Latter Day Saints and their motivation posters - they will understand the underlying humour in that pic
Old 26 August 2005, 02:37 PM
deano
Scooby Regular

Sell your toy trains and buy an ounce of coke. I guarantee you will be up and running in no time
Old 26 August 2005, 03:01 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by deano
Sell your toy trains and buy an ounce of coke. I guarantee you will be up and running in no time
That would make him worse
He will COMMIT suicide when he comes off it, trust me
Old 26 August 2005, 04:27 PM
Fuchsrohre
Scooby Regular

Last edited by Fuchsrohre; 26 August 2005 at 04:32 PM.