Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Nottingham Chief Constable.Can you believe this.

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2005, 12:40 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Nottingham Chief Constable.Can you believe this.

The chief constable of Nottinghamshire police, Steve Green, has just bought 20,000 green ribbons for his officers to wear so that they can “show solidarity” with the county’s Muslim community.

Green is the colour of Islam, of course. It is also the traditional colour of Sinn Fein/IRA. When London was being blown to bits by the republicans, one could buy a green ribbon to show solidarity with their noble aims.

So, in a sense, the £2,000 of public funds that was authorised by Nottinghamshire’s top policeman is indeed money well spent: his officers will be showing solidarity with not just one but two communities.

Explaining his decision to a perplexed local population, Chief Constable Green said that Muslims were “being held hostage by fear”. This is something he knows a bit about: a while ago he confessed, almost tearfully, that his own police force was being held hostage by fear. Under Green’s stewardship, the murder rate in Nottingham has much increased. “We are reeling with the murders. We are in a long-standing crisis situation with major crime,” he said, adding that he might have to “farm out” murder inquiries to neighbouring forces. Perhaps the rest of us should wear navy blue ribbons to show solidarity with the Nottinghamshire police.

I suppose some people might find it a little sinister that the politically neutral police should have started making such a public declaration of allegiance. If you were gay, for example, you might wonder if the green ribbon meant that the entire police force supported Islam’s rigorous approach to homosexuality. Perhaps Green should order some pink ribbons for his men, just to clear up the matter. You can wear ribbons today to assert your affection or opposition to anything.

There is evidence, though, that those who wear them do not sign up to whatever laudable philosophical treatise was intended: those anti-bullying wristbands, for instance. Outside my local junior school I saw one boy wearing seven of them, a collection amassed by the simple expedient of kicking the heads in of any kid he saw wearing one: the wristband as an ironic post-modernist statement.

Green should be warned: you don’t want Muslims to think that the police are taking the mickey by wearing a green ribbon in an ironic manner. If that happened, we could have real trouble on our hands.

Just what is this country coming to.

Chip
Old 15 August 2005, 12:42 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Drop in the Ocean, have you seen how much the cameras make?
Old 15 August 2005, 12:43 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

I read this in The Times yesterday and couldn't believe the stupidity of the man although it seems to be as if increasingly Chief Constables are becoming increasingly political in what should be an apolitical role.
Old 15 August 2005, 12:45 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Old 15 August 2005, 12:48 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

FFS thats unbelievable, talk about PC gone crazy
Old 15 August 2005, 12:53 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

What a good idea. I expect they will be wearing St George crosses come St Georges day then...

Old 15 August 2005, 01:01 PM
BlackadderII
Scooby Regular

IMO Chief Constables should be elected by the local populous, very much like in the States. That way they will live and die by their decisions. If they don't deliver then just elect a new one and see how he/she gets on over a given term
Old 15 August 2005, 01:39 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

having watched some pretty nasty video footage of some beheadings at the weekend i think he could have used the 2 grand to buy some fooking big swords. some of those knives looked like they was bought in a 50p shop. hacking away for ages instead of swift and merciful.
Old 15 August 2005, 02:48 PM
mr flibble
Scooby Regular

extremely nasty video footage i would imagine Bigsinky. I friend of mine was watching the beheading video of one of the Americans last year. I heard the sound and had no idea what he was watching so stupidly looked over his shoulder to see what it was. The images and sounds stayed with me for weeks if not months.

To think these guys were held down and beheaded sickens me. They had no chance of fighting back, no oportunity to defend themselves, murdered in such a gruesome way.

More scary was my reaction to the footage....I was ready to nuke the whole of Iraq!

anyway straying off topic a tad i think......

M
Old 15 August 2005, 02:53 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Is the green not only the Shia's colour,i thought the Sunnis was black,probably wrong.Scum anyway
cue Moses .

mac
Old 15 August 2005, 03:17 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Can you believe this
Yes I can.

In these difficult times it is very important that the Police are seen to be standing shoulder to shoulder with the ethnic peoples against their white oppressors. Of course we all understand that now Muslim Law takes precedence over our own British law it is entirely appropriate that all officers should wear the symbols of islam.

Salâmu-'Alaikum
Old 17 August 2005, 11:59 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What would be really impressive would be for the Muslims to start wearing Union Jack ribbons to show their solidarity with Britain.

Les