Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How do you go about selling your car when you have a private plate on it?

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2005, 07:02 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you go about selling your car when you have a private plate on it?

As heading-thinking about selling my scooby as i just dont use it much anymore now-but i have a private plate on it which i thought i would i would swap to my mondeo-if i take plate of it now im without logbook for upto 4 weeks so cant then sell car -so if i leave plate on it advertise car-tell anyone that views it plate is not going with car, then say someone wants it, leaves a deposit i then next day go to shrewsbury take plate of which they now wont do over counter but then i dont see logbook again for a few weeks so whats best way?
Old 11 July 2005, 07:04 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

You can either swap the plate to the new car or you can put the plate on a retention certificate for a year. I was in this situation with my wifes car and thought it best to get the plate off as soon as I could. Took about 18 days in total.

Dave
Old 11 July 2005, 07:08 PM
Angry
Scooby Regular

If you leave it on a certificate(not likely I know) you have to renew it each year at a cost of £80 or the DVLA retain the plate.
Old 11 July 2005, 07:48 PM
Smiler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Angry
If you leave it on a certificate(not likely I know) you have to renew it each year at a cost of £80 or the DVLA retain the plate.
It's actually £25
Old 11 July 2005, 08:06 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

how i meant was-which is fastest and easiest way to do it now as you cant swap numbers on the day anymore?do i sell car with it on-but tell them its only on till i get it took off-get the logbook ownership form filled in with there details then after having took cash off them i let them take car i then next day go to dvla and say put the reg of this car onto this other car of mine and while you have logbook it also wants change of ownership doing-then in about a week i get paperwork thro saying my this is what the new number plate is on my scooby so then i ring up new keeper and say take my private reg of car and put this new one on-is this easiest way?
Old 11 July 2005, 09:42 PM
stevewrxwagon
Scooby Regular

I've done this a few times now - easiest is to go to your local DVLA (early is best as they are usually busy & you will have to wait!). Take a photocopy of the log book before you go. Either put the plate on your other car or on retention (depends whether you want it on your other car or prefer to wait until you get something else.....). They will give you a form to get your new plates which you can change straight away. (Remember that to buy plates now you need a passport or something similar).

You now have the car you are selling on the new plates, it will take about 3 weeks for the new logbook to turn up, if you sell it in the meantime, explain to the buyer, (you can show them the photocopy of the original logbook. transfer documentation etc & they can HPI it on the original reg).

When the logbook is received, fill in the new owners details & return to the DVLA sending the right hand side of the form to the new purchaser.....

The last 2 cars I've bought have had private plates on, this happened both times (ie I bought the car without the logbook & received it later) & with the last 2 cars I sold (I sent the logbook on...).

Under no circumstances should you let the car go without completing the transfer first!!

Obviously both sides need a little trust..... & if you don't have that, you probably should not buy/sell the car!!
Old 11 July 2005, 10:20 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

I take a deposit- go to the dvla office early the next day, get it switched- then as soon as the log book comes through give them a call and they come and pay the balance and take it away, and then send off the logbook with the new keepers details when they have the car, or leave them to do that.

Or think ahead and remove it prior to advertising it.

dont EVER sign it across without removing the plate. It will legally be theirs and you will have absolutely no claim to it.

Every time ive bene to the dvla office to swap a plate between cars or certificates (must be nearly 10 transfers I have done now), the log book has come back to me in the post within about 4 or 5 days.....never more than that.

Last edited by Freak; 11 July 2005 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12 July 2005, 12:16 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, do you get the old number back?? Can you ask for the old number (you probably have the plates still!) ??

Pete
Old 12 July 2005, 08:16 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You usually get the original number back. This is not guaranteed however since they may have disposed of it themselves. If it is still available you get it back automatically.

Les