Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Parking Fine

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2005, 01:43 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Parking Fine

I parked off road in a layby right outside the front doors of the HSBC, where I have done for years I followed another car in actually, no yellow lines or parking restrictions, nothing.
I go straight in the bank carry out a transaction which takes definitely no more than 2 minutes as there wasnt a queue, I come out to find a parking ticket on my window and no attendant anywhere near!!!! I really was only 2 minutes but the ticket says that I had stayed between 11.23 and 11.28, it is now only 11.26!!!!!!
But on checking the ticket I noticed that the attendant has mixed up 2 of my registration letters ie 250 instead of 205.

Do I Kick up a real stink about this as it is bang out of order, and what is more they didn't book the car in front of me!!!

Or do I keep quiet as they cant possibly trace me from the number they have left on my ticket can they???
Old 05 July 2005, 01:46 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

as far as i'm aware (may be wrong though) you've got away with it. The ticket has to be filled out correcty for it to be legal, because it hasn't then it doesn't count. SSure people will correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 05 July 2005, 02:19 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

They will have taken down your tax disk number too, you never know maybe he got that wrong too, however a lot of authorities have taken to the use of cameras as well.
Old 05 July 2005, 02:29 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by MattW
They will have taken down your tax disk number too, you never know maybe he got that wrong too, however a lot of authorities have taken to the use of cameras as well.
Contest it if the attendant has lied about times. It will cost the authority more to take you to court. If you ignore it and they trace you through your tax disc/ CCTV and you continue to ignore their letters the fine can be passed on to a debt collecting agency who will add their charges to the bill.
Old 05 July 2005, 02:33 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
Contest it if the attendant has lied about times. It will cost the authority more to take you to court. If you ignore it and they trace you through your tax disc/ CCTV and you continue to ignore their letters the fine can be passed on to a debt collecting agency who will add their charges to the bill.
Trouble with times is won't they just say it was "by their watch" ?
Old 05 July 2005, 02:54 PM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there are no yellow lines and no no-parking signs what is the problem?

I recently had the same when I parked in an hour only zone, and I had a ticket 40 minutes after I parked up. I pointed out to them that an hour before I was still at home etc, and they dropped it, though they did say 'on this occasion' which annoyed me throughly. I was legally parked....

Last edited by Marky9074; 05 July 2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05 July 2005, 02:57 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrollySTI
Trouble with times is won't they just say it was "by their watch" ?
Probably, and they will have a time stamp on the photo if one was taken. I doubt though that it is valid as in effect by writing the wrong registration no on the ticket, he has effectively ticketed the wrong car.

**** comes to shove (and I dont agree with this btw), doesn't matter how long you were parked illegaly the fact remains that clearly they had reason to believe you were. It happened to me a couple of years back and in the end I just couldnt be arsed arguing for the sake of £30 - or the risk of court costs and a bigger fine.

Last point, they will send the summons to the owner of the incorrect registration. It will take a month or two until they realise that a mistake has been made and by the time they realise the mistake, it is too late to correct it, so it'll probably get written off in this instance I would have thought.

Last edited by jbwrx300; 05 July 2005 at 03:32 PM. Reason: I will read the original post again.
Old 05 July 2005, 03:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Appeal, but point out the error on the ticket, and that there were no yellow lines. They'll have no choice but to cancel the ticket.
Old 05 July 2005, 03:31 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Am I missing something, if there's no yellow lines or parking restrictions then surely you were parked legally
Old 05 July 2005, 03:39 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If they've got your registration number wrong then I would forget about it. I've never seen wardens taking pictures - I'm sure some do. I had a ticket in Westminster with two of my digits wrong so just tore it up and never heard anything. They have issued a ticket for a car reg that probably doesn't exist. I definitely wouldn't bother getting in touch with issuers, they might apologise for mistake and re-issue ticket with correct reg on it!
Old 05 July 2005, 03:50 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

So its best left alone then really otherwise I could be creating alot of trouble for myself??
Old 05 July 2005, 03:55 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have thought so. Their mistake.
Old 05 July 2005, 03:57 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I would contest it. Take some pics etc
Old 05 July 2005, 03:57 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

just rang the bank and they arent aware of any parking restrictions in front of their building either!!!!!
Old 05 July 2005, 04:00 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Bad luck. But I think it would be worth a quick phone call to find out why it's a No Parking area. Don't have to say you have a ticket just a straight question. Take a couple of piccies before they paint some lines

Note - didn't see recent posts before I sent this!
Old 05 July 2005, 04:44 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't giveup on this, fight it to the death. These borough council monkeys make my blood boil.

Of the 3 tickets I've had recently I've had them all dropped, purely because they couldnt prove their reasoning for the tickets in the 1st place.

1. Similar to yours, wrong reg noted, although I was at fault
2. 'Ticket wasn't displayed properly' when it was, no photo evidence, so dropped.
3. Their ticket machine wouldnt accept my money so I had to buy 2 tickets, and they thought I was doing somethin suspect again dropped after refusal to pay the fine.
Old 05 July 2005, 04:54 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

1. Similar to yours, wrong reg noted, although I was at fault
did you contest this?? If so what did they say??
Old 05 July 2005, 05:47 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wink

If the ticket you have is a carbon copy of all the info they have then I guess you are safe. They have the wrong registration number so end of problem!
I would have thought it unlikely for the pondlife to be required to write details down in more than one place, inefficient you see - also gives rise to another degree of freedom for a f&ck-up.

You were lucky, looks like labour education policies has paid off for at least one person - YOU !!
Old 05 July 2005, 05:52 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Ya sure it's not a wind up? Sounds like the kinda thing my mates would do to me.. 'Find' a dodgy parking ticket book and slap one on my car whenever its seen round town...

In fact why havent I thought of this before? So much fun to be had

If its definately genuine then let it lie and if they come a knockin contest and then take it to court...
Old 05 July 2005, 06:32 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

ok thanks everyone
Old 05 July 2005, 06:42 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

i got one in basidon town centre, reg correct but said i had a volkswagon, (my car is totally debadged and this person obviously new nothing about cars).

photocopied ticket and wrote a letter saying that reg was wrong, (even though it was correct but discription wrong), so they could have traced through reg, but they would be looking for vw. they must have thought to much work and i have heard nothing since (About 6 months ago).

i would not leave it if it is genuine, we give the councils enough of our hard earned already.

ian
Old 05 July 2005, 07:14 PM
rb5ban91r
Scooby Regular

i had one ages ago same thing miss spelt reg number on a hired vectra.... did i pay erm no did i bollocks and to be fair i was in the wrong so to speak. if they can't be bothered to get people who can read or write to some certain degree then it s there own silly fault... and remember let us not forget the traffic wardens do have a certain amount of "quota" they have to keep. and i've known them to wait around a corner til you out of sight so they give you a ticket... ex girlfriend of mine got a ticket of a copper for parking on double yellows ( yes she was in the wrong ) what p!ssed her off was the fact the tithead proceeded to get in a park it on yet another set of double yellows...
Old 05 July 2005, 09:51 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rasher
did you contest this?? If so what did they say??
Like I said yes. Sent a letter saying this is not my car, with a pic of my car, reg and address and they dropped it. I was probably lucky, as they obv didn't record anything else, and the typo wasn't just a letter out of place
Old 05 July 2005, 11:14 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Left my car parked on double yellows (residential street) over a weekend. Two tickets one with correct street name, one with different street name. (You'd think the 2nd warden would have looked at the first ticket!)

I wrote the council snotty letter, stating I would see them in court unless they dropped the incorrect ticket, which they did.

Reg number incorrect, I'd say they have not got a leg to stand on. Send them a letter, recorded del.

Buck
Old 06 July 2005, 12:45 AM
scooby-tom
Scooby Regular

The ticket has to be correct....I had one wrote off because the warden got the date mixed up.He mixed up the day and the month.Easy mistake to make and saved me money....