Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Peter Kay and the BBC

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2005, 12:05 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Peter Kay and the BBC

If you were Peter Kay would you bother dealing with the BBC ever again, after the way the treated him yesterday.

First they drag him up to Jonathan Woss' goldfish bowl, only to tell him that they didn't have time for him.

Then they cut from his (awesome) stage appearance just so we at home can see a simpering blonde fawning all over some mincing, cottaging, 80's throwback who has finally deigned to show up and sing a couple of lines on some other ******* set, but only if he get's some 'face time' on the telly :****:

BTW, I hope Chris Martin and Fran Healy were watching Peter Kay and Robbie Williams, maybe they could get some tips on how to perform on a stage
Old 03 July 2005, 12:07 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

PS How come Mariah Carey gets slagged off for being a diva, and George Michael, the biggest Prima Donna there, gets away scot free?
Old 03 July 2005, 12:08 PM
Mrs WRX
Scooby Regular

I love Peter Kay and i thought his treatment was **** poor. I couldnt beleive the cameras cut from his set to interview George Michael. His interview was the most boring part of Live 8, it was all me me me and my song and I did this, really boring! At least Peter Kay got the crowd going, laughing and singing.
Old 03 July 2005, 12:11 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I thought the BBC coverage was rubbish, Wossy was patronising and those 2 blonde bints were incredibly annoying, especially the older one. (who is going through a mid-life crisis it seems)

They missed most of the films shown to the audience as well which carried the message.
Old 03 July 2005, 12:24 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Peter Kay wasnt doing a set...he was on to fill time. go rent his DVD if you want more of him - dont watch a pop concert.
Old 03 July 2005, 12:30 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I noticed the Radio 2 coverage of the U2 concert was interesting, the second Bono launched into his speech about poverty they cut away from the concert to a presenter who clearly had nothing to say. As I recall he literally talked about the weather.

So, from this we might conclude that there are two possibilities:

1) It is a music show with a young audience and so the BBC had a geunine concern about broadcasting swearing that was likely to be in some of the "speeches." and their charter would specifically encourage them to avoid this.

2) With G8 coming up someone in government rang someone in the BBC and pointed out that there could be a lot of swearing in some up-coming pop concerts and that, as it was against their charter, if it went out on air then the government would take a dim view of it and would be taking action. It may also have been pointed out that the government would be monitoring the speech content of the programme for this swearing. The same person may have pointed out that it was to be a cheerful day of music and that depressing films would only upset the balance and might make G8 tricky and this, again, might reflect in future government support and funding for the BBC.

This is the very problem with the argument that "I pay for the BBC but begrudge the money..." This weakens the BBC and, effictively, gives the government control of them because they government can always say "lots of people don't want to pay for you, it is only us who keeps the law in place to keep the money, now there is something we would like you to do for us..."

With this in mind it is vital, if we are to have a free BBC in these days of manipulation of the press by the government, that everyone supports the BBC and supports paying for it, even to the extent of saying that if the government take funding away then they would pay for freedom of information by voluntary subscription. That way the government don't have any leverage and you might have got to hear Bono's speech at the U2 show and the films and speeches from Live 8.
Old 03 July 2005, 12:31 PM
Mrs WRX
Scooby Regular

So he gave up his time and do his bit for Live8 and deserves to be treated badly? Because its a pop concert?
Old 03 July 2005, 12:38 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

Loved Kay turning round to Mr Sound Test and telling him to shut up! Agreed, the BBC treated him poorly. In fact, the Beeb behaved pretty poorly all the day. Chris Martin must have been tipped off about the video that was about to be played (but cut from the air) after his set and he made the point that they should be showing it. He was right.

Imagine how bad it would've been had it been on ITV though, with adverts every few minutes.

Woss was ok, but his bitches were awful. Kay and Gervais were spot on.
Old 03 July 2005, 12:40 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by Tiggs
Peter Kay wasnt doing a set...he was on to fill time. go rent his DVD if you want more of him - dont watch a pop concert.
I know Peter Kay wasn't doing a set, but he WAS entertaining both the crowds and the people who pay the salaries of every cameraman, sound recordist, director and presenter there

Apart from plugging his new record and upcoming tour to a simpering fcukwit, what exactly was the bewhiskered turd burglar doing?
Old 03 July 2005, 02:31 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

the BBC cut loads of acts out...there job wasnt to show everything on stage it was to cover the event......they thought that showing GM had come along was a bigger deal than showing a warm up man filling 5 mins. GM is one of the biggest stars in the world and a highlight of live aid...they picked him over PK

T

(personaly cant stand GM but understand he is a bigger star then some bloke with a comedy song)
Old 03 July 2005, 02:50 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

The BBC is allegedley idependant therefore they covered the "event" and showed the music but were careful (rightfully) in my opinion to minimise the amount to which they were used to broadcast the underlying Political message.

Please dont forget this was a highly political event - not a charity concert.
Old 03 July 2005, 03:19 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I understand that point, but surely if you broadcast a political event then you have to expect politics to appear and you have to accept that they will? I mean, they wouldn't broadcast the house of commons but cut out all the political debate would they? They also could have offered balance by having a government representitive on to counter claims.

I think, personally, that the BBC were told to shut up on the politics. The U2 show i referred to was some weeks ago so there seems to be a trend. If Bono had used it as a platform to ask people to protest in Scotland against G8 then the government might have been in trouble and things are not going well for them anyhow.

Whether Bono's rant was broadcast, or not, should have been an editorial decision and not a government decision and my point was that I suspect, in the current climate, that the decisions are being made by government rather than by an independant body. I'm not sure I like that idea.
Old 03 July 2005, 03:36 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

For those who missed it, go and watch it on aol - then come back and talk about an amazing performance If you cannot get the webcast because you don't have broadband, it isn't worth getting for even the most ardent PK fans. Frankly I thought he was embarrasing as he cleary didn't know what the **** to say or do.
Old 03 July 2005, 04:33 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trashman
For those who missed it, go and watch it on aol - then come back and talk about an amazing performance If you cannot get the webcast because you don't have broadband, it isn't worth getting for even the most ardent PK fans. Frankly I thought he was embarrasing as he cleary didn't know what the **** to say or do.

sense at last.....the bbc directors are told two things are comming up:

1. they are sound testing on stage so they will grab the first "funny" bloke they can find and shove them on for 5 mins

2. radio 1 DJ is going to interview one of the biggest stars in the world who was also one of the main stars 20 years ago

hmmmmmm..........on the basis that GM is less likely to sing Armadillo lets show him.
Old 03 July 2005, 07:01 PM
Listy
Scooby Regular

I was there! PK Was Sh!te

End Of.
Old 03 July 2005, 07:24 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exactly.
Old 03 July 2005, 07:46 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Listy
I was there! PK Was Sh!te

End Of.

dog eat dog.
Old 03 July 2005, 07:58 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

More than half the folk that phoned up to get their tickets for Live 8 couldn't give a **** for politics and probably couldn't even give you the name of the members of G8

We have a country of "total half hearted fcukwits"
Old 03 July 2005, 08:30 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

peter kay is awesome he is too good for those *******s
Old 03 July 2005, 09:33 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

sense at last.....the bbc directors are told two things are comming up:

1. they are sound testing on stage so they will grab the first "funny" bloke they can find and shove them on for 5 mins

2. radio 1 DJ is going to interview one of the biggest stars in the world who was also one of the main stars 20 years ago

hmmmmmm..........on the basis that GM is less likely to sing Armadillo lets show him.

Yeah but said radio 1 DJ didn't interview the prententious self important **** did she, she fawned over him like a lovesick puppy:barf:

BTW twenty years ago George Michael was then exactly what he is now, a bit part performer, getting his face on telly at the last moment in order to promote his own record

And they didn't grab the first funny bloke they could find, PK was listed in that slot on the advance schedule
Old 04 July 2005, 12:23 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trashman
Er thats cos he was pissed
Old 04 July 2005, 07:49 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Peter Kay was the only inter-act presenter that was complete and utter pants...almost a disgrace...he just walked off, then came back on 2 minutes later (the ONLY 2 minutes of silence 9 hours), and did Amarillo for the second time.
If he's such a good stand-up, why didnt he do some?
Old 04 July 2005, 07:51 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

because they were testing mics while he was on stage thats why,
Old 04 July 2005, 08:33 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dba
because they were testing mics while he was on stage thats why,
They were doing the same when Ricky Gervais was on and he managed to cope!
Old 04 July 2005, 09:21 PM
JRS
Scooby Regular

Ditto, PK's to clever for that lot, he's the Daddy
Originally Posted by moses
peter kay is awesome he is too good for those *******s
Old 05 July 2005, 03:26 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
They were doing the same when Ricky Gervais was on and he managed to cope!
and Lenny Henry,
and Dawn French (but not together, obviously )
Old 05 July 2005, 10:24 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
Er thats cos he was pissed

Thats what I heard as well. The bit I saw of him I thought was awful!
Old 06 July 2005, 06:27 AM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

But PK does'nt drink???
Old 06 July 2005, 08:08 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

I love PK but thought he wasnt very good, in fact all the comedy fill-in slots were poor IMHO, big fan of ricky gervais too but I thought he died on his *** as well.

Gary