Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

NTL Digital - Nightmare to get rid!

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2005, 12:01 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry NTL Digital - Nightmare to get rid!

A few weeks ago I rang NTL to give them notice that I was moving house and would not be continuing with their Digital TV service in the new property. Here is my story…..

After 12mins of being on hold I finally spoke to a representative and agreed that they would cut me off and collect the box from my work address 2 days before moving. That same day, my NTL landline was cut off! WTF?? Having no other landline in the house, and reluctant to use my mobile as the “free phone” no. is chargeable, I drove to the nearest phone box where I had the pleasure, again, of waiting for 10mins before being able to speak to a human being. After several more minutes, it was confirmed that my landline had been cut off by mistake and it could take up to 10 days to reinstate! What an inconvenience. Not only do I lose my landline but I also rely on this for my internet connection (AOL). I was advised to ring another department the next day as it was too late to talk to anyone at the time.
The next day I rang in from my work phone – I’m a contractor so had to give up my lunch time to do this so as not to lose any pay! A representative confirmed that it would only take about 2 hrs to re-connect me! I thought, “Great, a result at last!”. When I arrived home (5 hrs later), it was disappointing to discover that the line was still dead.
The next day I reluctantly rang NTL again. Same procedure (about 10mins on hold in my lunch hr). This time I was told that it would in fact take up to 10 days to re-connect and that the person who I’d spoken to the day before was wrong in telling me otherwise! By now I was getting very pi55ed off!!! I just wanted my landline re-connected for the remainder of my notice period. As it was their mistake for disconnecting me, was this too much to ask?
Following another phone call, I decided to give up and accept that I would get my landline back, at worst case, 2 days before the “agreed” cut off date. I was now more focused on them collecting the NTL Digital box. They were due to collect this on 9th May. Nobody turned up!!
The next day I rang NTL. They didn’t explain why they hadn’t bothered picking it up but were keen to book another date. That date has now passed and I still have the bloody box!!! The phone line never did come back on so I’ve decided to cancel my direct debit to NTL. I’ve done this to stop my final payment as I believe that the inconvenience NTL have caused has cost me more in time + losing my home internet usage has cost me in wasted subscription fees to AOL.
I’ve now moved house and have the NTL box stored in my loft. I’m very reluctant to make any more contact with NTL as I feel that I have done enough. I’m looking forward to getting Sky + now.
All in all, I feel NTL have given a very unsatisfying service in my case.

Rant over.

Nick

Last edited by skoobidude; 18 May 2005 at 12:04 PM.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:39 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I'd make the effort of getting this sorted. NTL have a habit of blackballing people with the credit agencies, which screws them up when they apply for loans etc...
Old 18 May 2005, 06:49 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reffro
I'd make the effort of getting this sorted. NTL have a habit of blackballing people with the credit agencies, which screws them up when they apply for loans etc...
You think there bad, I got a letter from a Credit collection company claiming I owed Sky £300.00.

Called SKy, they knew nothing about it, called credit company and they advised it was for a house I lived in 4.5 years ago, I have had sky in this house for 1.5 years and a previous house for 3 years.

They reckon I never cancelled my agreement and the cost is for the kit. I told them that I moved and had sky installed straight away and they still say I didn't inform them? how stupid are these people.
Old 18 May 2005, 08:01 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I had a very similar experience with NTL over 5 years ago. Incompetance personified. I'm not in the least bit suprised they haven't improved in all this time.

I would echo the comment about your credit rating. Instead of phoning them to sort it out, write to the NTL head office, recorded delivery, explaining the situation and that you don't trust your local NTL office to get anything right. Copy the letter to your local trading standards office (tell NTL you have done so, obviously).
Old 18 May 2005, 09:18 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Angry

This thread had rejogged my memory earlier. I called NTL up today to make sure my old account has been cancelled.

No prizes for guessing that its still not been cancellled, despite me calling 6 weeks ago and cancelling along with writing a letter. WTF do you have to write a letter cancelling anyway. Cant sort it out today as apparently the cancellation dept were off home by 17.05.
Old 18 May 2005, 09:47 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

My brother has had similar probs. He moved in here en route for his new home and had written, phoned, semaphored, smoke-signalled and even hit the bongo drums.... to no avail. NTL still keep sending bills here but they now get sent back, "Not known at this address". It MAY work
Old 18 May 2005, 10:02 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apparition
My brother has had similar probs. He moved in here en route for his new home and had written, phoned, semaphored, smoke-signalled and even hit the bongo drums.... to no avail. NTL still keep sending bills here but they now get sent back, "Not known at this address". It MAY work
LOL.

As you may well be aware though, if they damage your brothers credit rating, it also affects yours as you were at the same address, however briefly.
Old 18 May 2005, 11:57 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

NTL still owe me ££s for a litany of screw-ups but I gave up chasing them as I couldn't bare the 20 minute holds and then being told the call centre was the wrong one and they couldn't put me through to the right one or give me the number for it. Utter c*nts - they'll never have my business again.
Old 19 May 2005, 07:50 AM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

Talking

My Parents had a problem with NTL, Called them.... Nothing!!! Wrote to them....... NOthing!!!! this went on for a few weeks, And it started to stress my old man, So I went to the head office on my Harley, 2 inch staight through pipes :-) Parked outside with the back of the bike facing the main doors! Left it running walked in and ask for a manager! Manager appear very fast, problem sorted! :-) and who say intimadation doesnt work! :-)

Later
Old 19 May 2005, 07:59 AM
Mrs WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bobn3
My Parents had a problem with NTL, Called them.... Nothing!!! Wrote to them....... NOthing!!!! this went on for a few weeks, And it started to stress my old man, So I went to the head office on my Harley, 2 inch staight through pipes :-) Parked outside with the back of the bike facing the main doors! Left it running walked in and ask for a manager! Manager appear very fast, problem sorted! :-) and who say intimadation doesnt work! :-)

Later
I like your style!
Old 19 May 2005, 08:17 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bobn3
I went to the head office on my Harley, 2 inch staight through pipes :-) Parked outside with the back of the bike facing the main doors!
Did you demand his clothes and motorcycle boots?

Thanks for the response guys. I've just printed out a letter which I'll send out to them today.

Nick
Old 19 May 2005, 09:39 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

As Jerome said.......
"LOL.

As you may well be aware though, if they damage your brothers credit rating, it also affects yours as you were at the same address, however briefly."

Like to see them try......... This mail was forwarded to ours from his old one. They don't have this address or his new one. There must be a body who can sort this type of over zealous "bullying".
BTW....bobn3....can I borrow your gear please???
Old 19 May 2005, 09:47 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

just called today to cancel again. Guy I spoke to seemed quite efficient and hopefully this time everything has been cancelled.
Old 19 May 2005, 10:04 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NTL are a bunch of useless inbred fecal discharge. Our unpleasant episodes with them have been absolute joys to behold! They have included whole Saturdays spend waiting for their gormless engineer to turn up only to find out that they have cancelled the appointment but not told us, slow/intermittent/no connection with modem and/or tv and what seems aons spent on the phone waiting for their unhelpful staff to be unhelpful. My wife has been told that we have been cut off, that we haven't paid the bill, that we haven't got the equipment plugged in, that we haven't got the equipment turned on, that there is no problem, that we are doing something wrong. - draws breath - That there is a fault with our line that is not their fault, that they don't know what the problem is, that it is the cable tv box interfering with the cable modem, its the cable modem interfering with the cable tv box. Twice have the little pieces of **** admitted liability and consequently we are not paying for broadband connection for the next 2 months! We have been customers with NTL for 4 years, I have seen animals that are being taken to the slaughterhouse treated with more respect than NTL have treated us. It is my other half that I really feel sorry for, NTL will not deal with me on the phone as the bill is in her name. She has had to put up with these lame excuses that wouldn't get past a primary school teacher. For my sins, I guess I must have listened to more hold music than I care to remember.

I am fast reaching the stage where I will take a holiday to eastern europe, pick up an ex-military AK and a couple of clips, smuggle it back, visit their call centre in Swansea and spray some lead justice!

- Sorry about that folks, I feel a lot better now! -
Old 19 May 2005, 08:20 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Angry

No point writing to NTL they just ignore the letters and say they never arrived. They have the worst cutomer services i have experenced in the last 10 years.

And their tech support line engineers cant speak english! have to spell every thing out as it blatently isnt their first language.

Just dont use any thing from NTL
Old 19 May 2005, 08:21 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Angry

see their broad band connection is so bad it keeps dropping and now i have a double post!

apparently i have packet lose and poor signal to noise ratio but they cant fix it since august last year.

Last edited by Adrian F; 19 May 2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 19 May 2005, 08:29 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Colleague at work's Mum was threatened with legal action by a collections company employed by NTL.

She is in her 80s - it isn't even her number that the debt was on!!

Old 19 May 2005, 10:40 PM
micaAB
Scooby Regular

NTL are without doubt the most incompetent company out there. i dread having to contact them.

i cancelled my cable TV 6 months ago, but surprise surprise, they continued to debit my bank account. phoned and complained multiple times, and now i'm expecting a cheque for the refund - but i've been waiting for 3 months.

thank god my Broadband doesn;t go wrong, cos getting them to fix it would be a joke.