Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

When are you good enough to bet at online poker?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2005, 05:34 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When are you good enough to bet at online poker?

I mainly practice with the $200 tables at pacific poker, and I can gamble the $200 into several, or tens of thousands each time consistantly.

I understand that it is alot down to your luck getting a decent hand, but it's also down to knowing when to bet and fold that makes you win alot or lose alot.

So I cant help but think I could make **** loads of real cash if I can consistantly do the same in money play mode.

I could be rich

But when do you know?

I bet I get fla,med for this

Last edited by chaos.; 16 May 2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 16 May 2005, 05:40 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

So I cant help but think I could make **** loads of real cash if I can consistantly do the same in money play mode
BIG, BIG, BIG difference! I could go to play mode and turn £200 into £200,000 by bed-time tonight! You'd be doing well enough to double £200 on a night playing for real money.

Sadly there comes a point where you have to put the play money aside and just try the real money but you should only do it with money you can afford to lose. Why not try micro-limits to start with. Sit down at 10c/20c with a $100 (about £100) investment on the site in which case you are relatively well bankrolled for that game and not risking more than about £10 per buyin. Also, deposite money on a site that gives a good bonus as well to get better value from starting out
Old 16 May 2005, 05:47 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
BIG, BIG, BIG difference! I could go to play mode and turn £200 into £200,000 by bed-time tonight! You'd be doing well enough to double £200 on a night playing for real money.

Sadly there comes a point where you have to put the play money aside and just try the real money but you should only do it with money you can afford to lose. Why not try micro-limits to start with. Sit down at 10c/20c with a $100 (about £100) investment on the site in which case you are relatively well bankrolled for that game and not risking more than about £10 per buyin. Also, deposite money on a site that gives a good bonus as well to get better value from starting out
I was thinking of the slippery downward gambler spiral. ;-)

but, if you dont mind me asking, how much do you make/lose on avererage each month? How good were you in practice mode before gambling?
Old 16 May 2005, 06:24 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Poker has no practice mode........poker is played for money...end of.

Playing play money (and even micro limit) is almost pointless if you are doing it to learn to play poker for profit at a proper level.

Hunt round you house...find some stuff to sell...stick it on ebay and put a few K online......if you have 10k at the end of the year buy back your stuff you sold!

T

ps...SB...WSOP this year for you?
Old 16 May 2005, 06:28 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

chaos....in your image above you seem to be playing J3 under the gun at a 9 handed table.......you shuold go far.
Old 16 May 2005, 06:34 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
chaos....in your image above you seem to be playing J3 under the gun at a 9 handed table.......you shuold go far.
wow your such a tosspot

if you care to look closer, you'll notice the table is 1/2$, and I have a 30000+$, Obviously I would fold a ****ty hand like that for real money, but like you say you cant really compare the two
Old 16 May 2005, 06:45 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i look close and you still seem to be playing a crap hand out of position and at a full table.

i dont care how many free play points you have....why are you playing? if you are playing for fun then crack on....looks a real laugh. If you are playing to learn then you are wasting your time.

Come play with me.......£20 heads up till you get bored with all my money?
Old 16 May 2005, 07:02 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
i look close and you still seem to be playing a crap hand out of position and at a full table.

i dont care how many free play points you have....why are you playing? if you are playing for fun then crack on....looks a real laugh. If you are playing to learn then you are wasting your time.
Clearly just playing for fun I know how to play tha game beyath

Come play with me.......£20 heads up till you get bored with all my money?
excellent!, I love takin money off ......... *****!
Old 16 May 2005, 07:35 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

chaos....in your image above you seem to be playing J3 under the gun at a 9 handed table.......you shuold go far
LOL, I noticed that too Chaos, one of the important things in poker is to sort of distance yourself from the money involved and play hands the same way if they are worth nothing or worth thousands (i.e. the correct way). As tiggs points out, J3 isn't playable under the gun, ever! Unless you can successfully play a loose-aggressive style which as a relatively new player I doubt

No WSOP for me, S2000 this year Hopefully be involved at some point in my life - at 26 I'm in no rush to blow $10K (likely to go up!) on a tournament I have as good as zero chance of seeing any return in.
Old 16 May 2005, 07:44 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
As tiggs points out, J3 isn't playable under the gun, ever! Unless you can successfully play a loose-aggressive style which as a relatively new player I doubt
lol I know j3 aint playable, but I was playing with the kiddies

I usually play KK AA QQ 10,10 9,9

And go all in and hope for 3 of a kind or better

Last edited by chaos.; 16 May 2005 at 07:46 PM.