Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Christian Salvessen trucks all limited to 40mph on Single carriageways?

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2005, 08:43 AM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aren't all HGVs meant to be limited to 40 on single carriageways?
Old 12 May 2005, 08:44 AM
ChrisB

Thought so:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/hgv40.html
Old 12 May 2005, 09:10 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Its a tracker.

It does not restrict speed but all vehicles are being watched by Big Brother
Old 12 May 2005, 09:15 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Plus Scameras are now weight sensitive, and will catch trucks travelling above 40mph.

Nice thing is they are now a piece of **** to overtake, and you don't have to break the speed limit to do it. I overtook a truck that was doing 40mph, by travelling at 60mph, whilst passing a speed camera, which of course was placed at the best spot to overtake..........

Last edited by Reffro; 12 May 2005 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12 May 2005, 09:30 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reffro
Plus Scameras are now weight sensitive, and will catch trucks travelling above 40mph.

Nice thing is they are now a piece of **** to overtake, and you don't have to break the speed limit to do it. I overtook a truck that was doing 40mph, by travelling at 60mph, whilst passing a speed camera, which of course was placed at the best spot to overtake..........
Well yes... BUT if a load of muppets sit behind it and you come up behind a queue of 5 cars say behind it it becomes a lot more of a nightmare!
Old 12 May 2005, 09:40 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

I have friends and a bro who are LGV drivers and 1 friend and my bro have had points for over 40 (via scameras, my bro at night) in NSL on single carriageway roads. Yes LGV limit is 40 on those roads.
I believe some firms have told drivers to keep at 40 on these roads.
Police on here may confirm or not but I believe police used to be happy with LGV at 50 because trafic kept flowing and people didn't get frustrated and try dodgy overtakes.
Scameras have changed that.
My bro has said that keeping to 40 in his truck there's usually nothing in front of him but a long line behind!
See thread on overtaking!
Limiter is set at 56 mph btw. There used to be ways round that but probably not now.
Old 12 May 2005, 09:54 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
Limiter is set at 56 mph btw. There used to be ways round that but probably not now.
Mostly it's just a case of pulling a fuse, in others a little bit of creative auto electrical work is required. If you want to know, ask a trucker from Eire, they'll soon have it sorted for ya!
Old 12 May 2005, 10:03 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Mostly it's just a case of pulling a fuse, in others a little bit of creative auto electrical work is required. If you want to know, ask a trucker from Eire, they'll soon have it sorted for ya!
Yes I knew 'bout the fuse. Trying to be discreet!
Yes those S Irish "make progress". Mates often say how they fly past.
Don't seem fair on our lot though.
Old 12 May 2005, 10:22 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Yes I knew 'bout the fuse. Trying to be discreet!
Yes those S Irish "make progress". Mates often say how they fly past.
Don't seem fair on our lot though.
It's when they decide to "box and drag" you, you need to worry

The haulage industry is on its way out in this coutry. The doors have been opened for European operators who fuel up in France etc at much lower cost, don't pay the £3000+ road tax our guys do and mostly ignore the speed cameras and abuse the tacho etc as there isn't much that the UK plod can do even if they do catch them.
Old 12 May 2005, 10:31 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

It's when they decide to "box and drag" you, you need to worry

The haulage industry is on its way out in this coutry. The doors have been opened for European operators who fuel up in France etc at much lower cost, don't pay the £3000+ road tax our guys do and mostly ignore the speed cameras and abuse the tacho etc as there isn't much that the UK plod can do even if they do catch them.
Might be changing. My bro told me how at a Mway service area he spoke to a German driver who'd been told to park up for 24 hrs by these new Highways Agency lot, cos he'd done too many hrs. He'd been given a form of some sort too.
Then, as my bro was leaving ,the Agency van came back and parked up out of the way to watch this German.
As you say industry going but what does Government care? T@ssers.
Probably part of the great "EU Project".
Old 12 May 2005, 10:35 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

As pointed out on this board perhaps 18 months back the greens and anti-car lobby want ALL traffic limited to a maximum speed of 40mph, as a step toward driving the motorist out of private transport. They realised that this was never going to happen and so took advantage of a situation which already existed by putting pressure on the police and administration to enforce the 40mph limit for trucks on single carriageways. Until recently the 40mph limit was never enforced that I am aware of.

Once you get a line of trucks and a camera on every straight section of road overtaking becomes difficult and so, in effect, they have achieved a very clever reduction of the speed limit on single carriageways to 40mph. This was a well planned and considered move and they hope that it will act to drive more motorists on to public transport which will, they imagine, be quicker and less frustrating than taking the car.

In the fullness of time the trucks will be limited by their ISA unit to 40mph and your car will be limited to 60mph so this will add to the overtaking problems and I can't see it doing anything except causing a dangerous situation. I am aware that it is possible to overtake a 40mph truck at 60mph but how many rural roads have straight sections to allow that? At that speed how many cars can get past a truck on a straight? Maybe 1 or 2 at best so, in effect, the green nutters have won and they are going to limit you to 40mph on single carriageways whether you like it or not, unless you stand up and do something. As we have established our forte is for exchanging personal abuse over minor spelling mistakes rather than taking action to ensure our access to private transport, it will not be long before free access to private transport is restricted and you will be dreaming of being allowed to do 40mph.

As I recall the 40mph limit was trialled on the A77 in Scotland with lots of signs etc. warning truck drivers that they should stick to 40mph. Once it is enforced on the A9 Perth - Inverness road which is 120 miles of mostly single carriageway then it will have a huge impact upon the economy of the north of Scotland, but as long as the green nutters are kept happy who cares? None of them live in Scotland, or rural areas, anyhow.
Old 12 May 2005, 10:35 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Might be changing. My bro told me how at a Mway service area he spoke to a German driver who'd been told to park up for 24 hrs by these new Highways Agency lot, cos he'd done too many hrs. He'd been given a form of some sort too.
Then, as my bro was leaving ,the Agency van came back and parked up out of the way to watch this German.
As you say industry going but what does Government care? T@ssers.
Probably part of the great "EU Project".
But telling them to park up, is pretty much all they can do. I bet once that agency van left, the German was on the move again and the "bit of paper" was filed through the side window.

I think EU regs are being proposed to allow the UK Police to "persue" fines etc back to the host country. Mind you I've been out of the industry for a few years now so I'm not as up to speed as I was.
Old 12 May 2005, 11:06 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

hedgehog,
Remember the cry often heard here "Oh no, that'll never happen, they wouldn't dare do that".
"There are non so blind as those who cannot see." Or think for themselves.
Old 12 May 2005, 02:55 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

But telling them to park up, is pretty much all they can do. I bet once that agency van left, the German was on the move again and the "bit of paper" was filed through the side window.

I think EU regs are being proposed to allow the UK Police to "persue" fines etc back to the host country. Mind you I've been out of the industry for a few years now so I'm not as up to speed as I was.
From what I've read, the proposal is to issue an on-the-spot type fine up to the maximum fine that could be levied in court. The correct proportion of this can then be refunded when the matter is ultimately dealt with.

Not sure quite how this would work, but it sounds like a step in the right direction as foreign registered cars can pretty much get away with getting Gatso'ed, entering the congestion zone and parking anywhere they want ...
Old 12 May 2005, 03:12 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Dixon
From what I've read, the proposal is to issue an on-the-spot type fine up to the maximum fine that could be levied in court. The correct proportion of this can then be refunded when the matter is ultimately dealt with.

Not sure quite how this would work, but it sounds like a step in the right direction as foreign registered cars can pretty much get away with getting Gatso'ed, entering the congestion zone and parking anywhere they want ...
I think the CC is different, they sell the debt to a European Debt Recover agency who persue them. Somebody from Europe asked on here some time back if they should bother paying the charge for the few days they were over and that was the outcome.
Old 12 May 2005, 03:27 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

It's easy to pop a fuse out of a speed limiter, but most companies (CS included I beleive) have telematic devices fitted to all their trucks which record speed, harsh breaking, unscheduled stops etc - directly back to a computer at the depot - so there wouldn't be much point really. Also, if they're involved in a serious accident, the police can confiscate the telematics 'black boxes' and download all the info on them - and if there's a number speeding incidents on there then they ask an awful lot of tricky questions! (The telematics can tell you not only that a truck was speeding, but also exactly where it was at the time!).

As for the German guy, sounds like someone cracking down on the new Road Transport Directive - VOSA have said that they will be monitoring rather than policing it for the first 12 months. But as it's a European directive, most of the foreign trucks on our roads will be covered.