Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kasabian, The Bravery, Thirteen Senses, Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Damien Rice....

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2005, 07:24 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kasabian, The Bravery, Thirteen Senses, Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Damien Rice....

...not to mention the rebirth of Athlete, Idlewild, Doves, Green Day and the prospect of a new album from (dare i say it) Oasis.

I honestly don't think i can remember a better period of music since the mid nineties. Ok, i wasn't around for the 60's or 70's and was a rug rat in the 80's but you can see what i'm getting at. Not before time either.
Old 04 March 2005, 07:27 PM
custard puddle
Scooby Regular

Location: 4am club + owns one muppet music token and one fairy token

Originally Posted by Carl Davey
...not to mention the rebirth of Athlete, Idlewild, Doves, Green Day and the prospect of a new album from (dare i say it) Oasis.

I honestly don't think i can remember a better period of music since the mid nineties. Ok, i wasn't around for the 60's or 70's and was a rug rat in the 80's but you can see what i'm getting at. Not before time either.
i agree, there is some great music around at the mo!
Old 04 March 2005, 08:34 PM
tomcat msr
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

If you love this stuff you will love a new band about to hit the big time called the Alterkicks. They are currently supporting Thirteen Senses on their UK tour.

Have seen them live a couple of times now and the thing they seem to have which these others lack is every song is unique and catchy. Alot of these bands of the moment have got some great songs but their albums/setlists seem to contain a certain amount of mediocre fillers eg. Kaiser Chiefs - Employment

Their first single is out on the the 14th March and is called "Do everything I taught you". The video is currently on the MTV2 playlist.

Infact the original demo of this is available here (might have to register first):
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/alterkicksmusic.htm

A little under produced, but youll get the idea
Old 04 March 2005, 08:40 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

I've heard of Oasis
Old 04 March 2005, 08:42 PM
custard puddle
Scooby Regular

will have to check out the album, thanx

went to see a band called Camouflage, they're really good, but dont do any songs of their own, just very near perfect original versions of Greenday etc excellent!
Old 04 March 2005, 08:43 PM
custard puddle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alas
I've heard of Oasis
lol there have been a lot of revivals of old bands recently, and new bands springing up
Old 04 March 2005, 09:05 PM
tomcat msr
Scooby Newbie

I try to get to as many gigs as I can, certainly a better night out than 8 pints and a kebab. Hey, the women are of a better quality too, and youve instantly got something in common with them.

You really get to know if a band is good or just 3 chord chansers by seeing them live. Kasabian brilliant, but The Killers, the PA couldnt have been that bad surely !

Another thing that really gets me is the majority of people at gigs who dont even give support bands the time of day. Alot of these bands are the next big thing, so why not make the most of it before your paying £25 a ticket and stuck at the back. Just because youve got the cd of said headlining band and you know that one they did on TOTP last week, doesnt mean you dont listen to rest of whats going on.
Old 04 March 2005, 09:11 PM
custard puddle
Scooby Regular

there's a battle of the bands thing near me, loadsa bands there (obviously!) all really good! even better because we all chill together sometimes and have a laugh, it's good to show support to people who are just starting out
Old 04 March 2005, 09:12 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Tomcat, i'll keeps my ears peeled for Alterkicks.

I agree about support bands, i went to see Cast (anyone remember them? ) back in the day and the support band were great (called 'Don' IIRC), i bought their tape after the show but i either lost it or it was nicked by a mate... I think they may have had one minor single release but that was it.

I really need to get out to more gigs. Trouble is it's rare for many bands to come as far North as Aberdeen and when they do i'm guaranteed to be offshore.
Old 04 March 2005, 09:15 PM
custard puddle
Scooby Regular

Tomcat, i'll keeps my ears peeled for Alterkicks.

I agree about support bands, i went to see Cast (anyone remember them? ) back in the day and the support band were great (called 'Don' IIRC), i bought their tape after the show but i either lost it or it was nicked by a mate... I think they may have had one minor single release but that was it.

I really need to get out to more gigs. Trouble is it's rare for many bands to come as far North as Aberdeen and when they do i'm guaranteed to be offshore.
yeah most bands just do tours of the busiest areas, big towns etc, it must be a shame to miss some of them, living in Aberdeen
Old 04 March 2005, 09:34 PM
tomcat msr
Scooby Newbie

I live in Shrewsbury, not a town renowed for its musical prowess so I mostly catch the train to Brum, Whampton, Lpool or Mchester. Get chatting to people there and you can often find youself back at some student pad talking music till the small hours.

Saw Cast at Aston Villa leisure centre in 1995 and gotta say History is one of the best songs I have ever heard live. The way he got that delayed guitar riff to take over the room was something else.
Not the coolest bands in the world but Ocean Colour Scene and the Stereophonics are brilliant live bands and could really show some of these new guys a trick or two.
Old 04 March 2005, 09:43 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Great to see some appreciation of more modern music on SN, I'm 39 but have been seen (along with my wife and 2 teenage daughters) Muse, The Zutons (twice each) , The Killers, Kaiser Cheifs, Bloc Party, The Futureheads and quite few others over the past 18 months. I'll probably get flamed but the most enjoyable gig of all was the Darkness - just bloody good fun - and pretty good musicianship as well.

I'm not sure about Aberdeen but I saw the Zutons in a 500 capacity club in Cambriodge and am shortly to see the Kaiser Chiefs at the same venue. I agree with the point about the support bands - some are very good and have resulted in me buying their music and going to see them again - give them a chance they could well be the next big thing - this certainly applies to the Kaiser Chiefs.
Old 04 March 2005, 09:59 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kasabian have a very sharp edge, proper unpasturiesed Rock unt Roll !
Old 04 March 2005, 11:33 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Last night myself and the parents (i must have parents like you RJMS ) were watching Kasabian vs Kaiser Chiefs on MTV2. They played Oh My God and I Predict A Riot in between a couple of Kasabian tracks then i said to the parents that i didn't think the Kaiser Chiefs had another track (i don't have their album)... The rest of the programme was Kasabian bliss lol.

Ditto History btw. Would love to hear that again. I've seen OCS also (around the same time as Cast) and they impressed too.

I'll tell you another track i'm into right now, although a little belated, E Talking by Soulwax. I actually prefer that to the Chemicals recent offerings tbh. Is it just me or does Galvanise do nothing for you too?
Old 04 March 2005, 11:42 PM
custard puddle
Scooby Regular

Last night myself and the parents (i must have parents like you RJMS ) were watching Kasabian vs Kaiser Chiefs on MTV2. They played Oh My God and I Predict A Riot in between a couple of Kasabian tracks then i said to the parents that i didn't think the Kaiser Chiefs had another track (i don't have their album)... The rest of the programme was Kasabian bliss lol.

Ditto History btw. Would love to hear that again. I've seen OCS also (around the same time as Cast) and they impressed too.

I'll tell you another track i'm into right now, although a little belated, E Talking by Soulwax. I actually prefer that to the Chemicals recent offerings tbh. Is it just me or does Galvanise do nothing for you too?
galvanise annoyed me at first because it was everywhere, but i have to say that it's growing on me
Old 05 March 2005, 09:48 AM
Big C
Scooby Regular

crap crap crap crap........

It's all about opinions.

Even my 2 year old can do a great impression of Damien Rice, taking the **** out of it.
"can't take my eeeeyyyyyyyssssss off you"

I f#in hate him I do.

C
Old 05 March 2005, 09:55 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Big C
crap crap crap crap........

It's all about opinions.

Even my 2 year old can do a great impression of Damien Rice, taking the **** out of it.
"can't take my eeeeyyyyyyyssssss off you"

I f#in hate him I do.

C
calm down pops
Old 05 March 2005, 10:22 AM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

(i must have parents like you RJMS )
Oh my god - there are more like me - TBH it's me indoctrintaing my kids into decent music - 2 years ago my youngest was into S Club - now it's Muse - just a slight contrast there!

Saw Soulwax supporting Muse - quite looking forward to them but was a bit disappointed - E-talking is pretty good but the rest, well, give me the Chemical brothers anyday the new album is brilliant.

Last edited by RJMS; 05 March 2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05 March 2005, 10:52 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Love all the bands mentioned except Damien Rice. Bought the Soulwax album and was VERY disappointed, only 2 or 3 tracks are any good, IMHO. Kasbian album is great but fave album of the moment is Interpol.
Old 05 March 2005, 10:56 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love the kasabian album and i'm going to rush out and buy the kaiser chiefs on monday , thank you lovejoy and soccer am !!
Old 05 March 2005, 06:05 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

RJMS, i think my parents had the same kind of idea as you. Dad loves Muse and Mum asked me for the Libertines album the other day.

I've still to properly listen to the Chemicals LP and sounds as though i'd be wise to avoid buying any more Soulwax.