Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Have you been to Malta?

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2005, 11:51 AM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you been to Malta?

Has anyone been to Qawra on Malta for their hols? me, wifey & 15 month old daughter are thinking of going at the start of May & were wondering what its like. I`m going to try for a scuba dive while I`m there too

Anybody help?

Cheers

Lee
Old 05 March 2005, 11:56 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Went to Malta many, many years ago. Can't recall individual resorts as I was a travel agent on an educational..... ie visit as many hotels in 2 days as poss. BUT I do recall the people being nice, the food was good, drinking water is salty there, so buy bottled. Lots of nice resorts. Interesting island and Gozo, the island next door was nice too.
Old 05 March 2005, 12:32 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

went YEARS ago.......very bland, as a 12 year old i was bored out of my mind.
Old 05 March 2005, 12:33 PM
Kellicious
Scooby Regular

Malta is a beautiful country, and well worth a visit.

Sliema & St Julians are the main coastal towns, and are good to visit for shopping etc (St Julians & Paceville are the main nightlife areas)

Gozo is one of Malta's sister islands, and is very tranquil.

Valetta is a 16th Century bustling baroque city with a great time-honoured atmosphere.

Mdina, Malta's ancient capital, is a beautiful medieval walled town.

All great places to visit, and I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time

I spent many a time there as a kid
Old 05 March 2005, 12:41 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I went there when a kid as well, 20 years ago. Hated the place and would never go back there again. You think the roads here are bad, you should have seen them over there
Old 05 March 2005, 12:56 PM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

Cheers folks As a 15 month old I don`t think my daughter will be as bothered as a 12 year old for things to do!

Bearing in mind wifey & me are early thirties & baby is 15 months so I don`t need to know where the best nightlife & loudest bars are more the nicest beaches, interesting rocky not miles of boring sand etc

Kep `em coming
Old 05 March 2005, 01:03 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Good bus service

Quite a sleepy place, so defo a chill out holiday.

I went when I was 15 and was bored out my brains
Old 05 March 2005, 01:07 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

I went there when I was around 12, can't remember too much (therefore it couldn't have been that much fun), although I did cut my foot on a piece of glass on the beach.
Old 05 March 2005, 01:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I used to go there quite often some years ago with the RAF. I always looked forward to going, the people are very friendly and pleasant. There are some very good beaches and the bus service is also good.

I think you would find plenty of interest, too long ago for me to give a potted guide. Lot of interesting history too.

Les
Old 05 March 2005, 02:47 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

There are various sides to the place, from what I remember. We stopped in Bugiba for a week. Some ancient historical bits like Medina, some interesting bits around Valetta. Some peaceful bits, if you stop of at Comino (small island on the way to Gozo), it's really quiet, the blue lagoon there was good for a swim. Things like the boat trip round to Blue Grotto, Popeye village and the like are possibly worth a visit for couple with small child. St Julians gets lively at night, a lot of the other resorts have things to do but aren't silly loud.

Roads are very pot-holed and generally not good for fast progress (in that respsect similar to the canaries, Madeira etc), but it's not a big island; just travel slowly around/through the potholes, and enjoy the place.

People are generally friendly but very laid back, and happy to make money from Tourists. Food and accomodation was decent and not bad value in general IMHO.
Old 05 March 2005, 03:29 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

One of the few countries in Europe where the local population love the Brits. Unlike some other countries they still remember the 2nd world war and the difference the allied forces and specifically the Brits meant to them.
Old 05 March 2005, 03:51 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been to Malta once and Gozo once too, thanks to a half-Maltese mate. Last trip was a few years back so my experiences could be out of date.

I would rate Gozo pretty highly if you have a nipper with you. It has the interesting beaches you desire and also super-friendly people. Xlendi, Marsalforn and Bugibba are names of places that stick in my mind.There is some great scenery too like the Azure window and good snorkling and diving if that's your thing. Like J2S says, the Maltese still have a fondness for Britain that you don't see elsewhere in Europe. The Gozotons (really) were fanatical about English football too!

O the minus side, food was average and the local wine best mixed with coke before consuming it!

Suresh
Old 05 March 2005, 04:04 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

went 2 years ago. was nice to get away but it was too hot for us at the time 40degrees plus. we had our wallet nicked on the bus (which the service is quite good actually) and a host of other annoying things BUT. the island itself was alright, we went to St Julians area and it semed fairly lively in the evening. nice place Valletta was boring IMO. overall the island wasnt exactly lively but we enjoyed getting away, was our first holiday aborad on our own
Old 05 March 2005, 07:31 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Never been.

I remember a girlfriend of mine aged late 20s went there for a ?2-week holiday, said it should have been a week max.

Now my wife has British friends who lived there for 17 years, came to Lisbon (job), and are planning to retire back there soon - crazy about boats.