Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Septoplasty

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2005, 11:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Septoplasty

Got to have Septoplasty performed as my nose is a bit deformed inside and I am a bit deviated apparently, anyone had this done, basically I think its like having your snotter ported.

It inolves a General anaesthetic, a night in hospital and two weeks at home sat on my **** watching telly, Xbox and doing sod all constructive, thats my plan and I am hoping there wont be too much pain to spoil it.
Old 01 March 2005, 11:12 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

two weeks at home sat on my **** watching telly
your'e a bloke.

bloke's bore easily.

get a tube of cannesten
Old 01 March 2005, 11:12 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Is your first name W4CKO?
Old 02 March 2005, 01:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

You say you HAVE to have it done?
If you can do without, my advice to you would be NOT to have it.

General anaesthetic...........and a whopping dose, since they can't give you entonox to keep you out during the op., so you'll be ill afterwards and groggy for days!

You wake with a sort of sanitary towel taped under your nose, and no ability to breathe through your nose AT ALL, so swallowing is open mouth or your ears keep popping.

During your next day a nice nurse removes the first dressing, then comes back later and pulls about 5 yards of blood soaked bandage from EACH NOSTRIL, which is agony, and of course, it bleeds again

Inside your nose are two "soft" polythene "splints", which are removed after 14 days. In the meantime, your nose runs all day and most of the night and the splints rub the inside edges sore as hell!

When the splints are removed, more pain: they are sewed THROUGH the septum, so the stitches have to be clipped then pulled out, then the splints are pulled/twisted out! They are about 3 inches long and your nose bleeds again.

Afterwards, you produce bogies about the size of an OLD ten pence piece, but about 8 mm thick, at least two, and you end up coughing them up, it's disgusting!

My op was UNSUCCESSFUL too, and I've declined another one, thanks very much. If i'd known waht I know now, it wouldn't have been done in the first place.

Alcazar
Old 02 March 2005, 02:03 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

nothing like making a man look forward to a ported hooter
Old 02 March 2005, 02:08 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Stay off the ching
Old 02 March 2005, 08:23 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
You say you HAVE to have it done?
If you can do without, my advice to you would be NOT to have it.

General anaesthetic...........and a whopping dose, since they can't give you entonox to keep you out during the op., so you'll be ill afterwards and groggy for days!

You wake with a sort of sanitary towel taped under your nose, and no ability to breathe through your nose AT ALL, so swallowing is open mouth or your ears keep popping.

During your next day a nice nurse removes the first dressing, then comes back later and pulls about 5 yards of blood soaked bandage from EACH NOSTRIL, which is agony, and of course, it bleeds again

Inside your nose are two "soft" polythene "splints", which are removed after 14 days. In the meantime, your nose runs all day and most of the night and the splints rub the inside edges sore as hell!

When the splints are removed, more pain: they are sewed THROUGH the septum, so the stitches have to be clipped then pulled out, then the splints are pulled/twisted out! They are about 3 inches long and your nose bleeds again.

Afterwards, you produce bogies about the size of an OLD ten pence piece, but about 8 mm thick, at least two, and you end up coughing them up, it's disgusting!

My op was UNSUCCESSFUL too, and I've declined another one, thanks very much. If i'd known waht I know now, it wouldn't have been done in the first place.

Alcazar
After reading your post I would disagree with some of what you have said as I have had the op a few times over 10 years and had no problems at all.

A lot depends on the surgeon, ie here in Wales they use packing rather than splints up the nose. which are removed after 18-24 hours. Packing is packed with grease to aid removal though I agree its about 5ft long but was painless when being removed.

I was out day after op and spent a few days home.

Agree about massive bogeys though. Its like pulling a long black slug out of your snout isnt it

My op was a great success as well so would recomend it to anyone.

Chip
Old 02 March 2005, 08:28 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I've had the op too ...... not much bother, 2 nights as I had complications (I would have wouldn't I!)

3 hours I was in - they were removing masses of Polyps as well as drilling and reaming!

My notes resting on my chest when I was in to the pre-op room had written on them, "Remove Polyps"

When I was 'going under' I am CONVINCED they changed to "Remove Bollox"!!!!!

pete
Old 02 March 2005, 10:36 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

What does a Polyp entail Pete ?
Old 03 March 2005, 09:23 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Is any one else finding this thread increadibly funny ?

Old 03 March 2005, 10:59 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

No need to put a gloss on it alcazar, give it to him straight.
Old 03 March 2005, 11:15 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
No need to put a gloss on it alcazar, give it to him straight.
Sorry about the gloss, I didn't mention the headaches

Seriously, there are two DIFFERENT ops here.
One is septoplasty, where the septum is realigned, the other is , IIRC, turbinectomy, basically reaming out your hooter.

Neither is nice, but I'd not want mine again. With septoplasty, I'm pretty sure you HAVE to have the nasal splints for 14 days while the septum heals to it's new shape.

Alcazar