Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Holidaying in Egypt...

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2005, 08:46 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Holidaying in Egypt...

I am thinking about going to Egypt at the beginning of April and just wondered if anyone can throw any advice my way, such as :

- where / where not to stay (resorts)

- who and who not to go with (tour operators)

- hotel reccomendations

- basically any other information that you think might be off use

Many thanks

Matt
Old 28 February 2005, 09:09 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Matt..

need to know budget??

streetwise or tour baby

time looking to stay.

loads to do & see but need more info..

i can tell you its feckin amazing (but totally different to a ibiza type holiday)

M
Old 28 February 2005, 09:17 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by mart360
Matt..

need to know budget??

streetwise or tour baby

time looking to stay.

loads to do & see but need more info..

i can tell you its feckin amazing (but totally different to a ibiza type holiday)

M
Thanks for the reply.

Looking at going for 7 nights.

I don't really want to spend anymore than £600 pp.

Want a relaxing holiday but would like to be fairly close to a "resort centre", if this makes sense ?
Old 28 February 2005, 09:54 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

good luck i know someone who went last year,
she went with her dad, (a week) she said it was TOO hot, and they ate something bad and had the ****s for the hole weak
Old 28 February 2005, 10:11 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Ok lets kick off

egypt 7 nights.. difficult, you need 14...

we did nile cruise 7 night all inc (ex alcohol) & stay in Luxor B&B with room upgrade £666 pp

now much less.!!

did the additional abu simbel visit & the pyramids!!!

extra but worth it..

very hot 40c!!!!

yes you will get the squits.. due to sudden diet change...

if you want beaches then its sharm el shiek.. mucho money

when i stop shivering ( cold in spare room)!!!

i,ll send a better eresponse

Mart
Old 28 February 2005, 10:13 PM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

If you have not been to Cairo before, then spend a day there and see pyramids/ sphinx in morning and Cairo Museum in afternoon (specifically Tutankhamen treasures). Then go to Sharm al Sheik on Sinai coast for best scuba diving or snorkelling in the world. You can even get a "day trip" flight from there to Luxor to see Karnak and Valley of the Kings. Fascinating country even with limited time and budget.
Old 28 February 2005, 10:44 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

We had a family Holiday in Egypt last year, stayed at the Le Meridian in Luxor. I would rate it as one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. Very highly recommended.

Found the people very friendly, we must have been lucky as nobody was ill.
Allan
Old 28 February 2005, 11:00 PM
scoobydee2
Scooby Regular

Well in June it will be our 3rd trip to Egypt, its just fantastic value for money.

1st visit - sharm el sheik - very nice resort, excellent diving/snorkelling but try to stay near resort centre , Nama Bay if you dont like being hotel bound. Good restuarants even a macdonalds (very handy, especially with my 3 year old in tow). We paid around £575 per person all inclusive but the hotel was a bit out in the sticks although may provide free shuttle buses.

2nd visit - hurghada - very established, bustling resort, great restuarants, again the diving etc is excellent. We went b&b this time at the Hilton hotel, price was around £535 per person. Would definately recommend the b&b option as it gives you more scope to visit other places to eat and meals are not expensive.

3rd visit - el gouna - we have booked to go here in june, this resort is apparently very cosmopolitan but is not too far from hurghada itself, form what ive seen on the net it looks brilliant. Again we have gone b&b for around £600. All hotels we have stopped at have been 5 stars and been worth every penny.

If you can stretch to it a visit to cairo is well worth the money, just to stand at the bottom of the great pyramid is a humbling experience. I would advise you fly as a 7 hour coach journey isnt exactly pleasant as I found out. Luxor was a good excursion too, although when we went it was a little to hot to enjoy it as much as we could have. We have been in May and September and yes it was hot but not too unbearable.

Unfortunately it just a fact of nature but you do tend to get a bit of a dodgy tummy. Do not drink the water, dont even use it to brush your teeth, use bottled water and take plenty of immodium.

Think I've rambled on enough, but yes I would defiantely recommend Egypt, it is such a friendly, interesting country.

If you want any further info drop me a line

adele
Old 04 March 2005, 12:52 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies. Will be booking Egypt this weekend hopefully.
Old 04 March 2005, 01:39 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by wwp8
had the ****s for the hole weak
LOL @ "the hole weak". That's how mine felt

We stayed at Luxor for a week with a 4 day Nile cruise. Saw loads and was very educational. Didn't go near a beach or the sea though. Early October was high 30s°C. By about 9am I was heading back to the airconditioned cabin. Also if you're in Luxor there are far fewer places to eat out than at the big seaside resorts.
Old 06 April 2005, 03:01 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

This time tomorrow I'll be jsut landing in Egypt

I'll let you know how badly I get the *****
Old 06 April 2005, 05:07 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Have a good time, don't worry too much about us
Old 06 April 2005, 05:19 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just stayed at durhab......( 1.5 hours north of sharm)........for the diving and windsurfing. We might as well have been anywhere.........should really have done some sight seeing - but would have been long coach-trips.
Spent 700 for 2 weeks but booked way in advance.
We also had slighlty runny tummys and that was staying at the hilton - i think its unavoidable..... Temprature is prety nice this time o year - ive heard TOO hot in the summer
Old 06 April 2005, 05:25 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

About 5 or 6 years my wife and I went to Luxor for 1 days then were taken down to Aswan where we sailed back up the Nile to Luxor.
I'd want to be paid.
A lot of money.
To go back to Egypt.

IMHO it is still/was then a 3rd world country and I'd rather holiday in a toilet.
In fact I spent a good part of the holiday in the one in our hotel room.
It was very, very hot and even sitting in the shade was unbearable after an hour or so.
Luxor market area etc was a $hithole with stallholders pissing/$hitting in alleyways then immeditely handling the food they sold: delights on offer in the market included the complete ****-end of, I think, a cow complete with tail and fluffy bit on the end of the tail !
I hate to think what sort of bacteria are coming into the hotel kitchens and besides being ill most of the time both of us found the food to be disgusting & greasy.
Constant hassle from cab drivers etc
Some people seem to love it but when people ask me about holidaying in Egypt I describe it honestly as a toilet.
If you want to go somewhere hot and sit by the pool and not actually wander about and take yourself places away from the hotel/resort then it may suit you but I do not honestly think that the health of my wife and and I ever returned 100% to normal after returning. There was a constant queue for the toilets on the plane on our return : almost every family suffered illness to some degree.

It is cheap for a guaranteed sunshine resort but maybe you get what you pay for !