Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The "Don't Wait" Policy

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2005, 01:24 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "Don't Wait" Policy

Saw a guy on a film/TV prog recently that just did'nt wait more than 5 mins for any appointment etc that had been made. Thought I'm going to try this as there is one thing that gets right up my back it's waiting around.
I have been astonished by the results
Go to see the lawyer to be told by the snotty receptionist he is on the phone to another client. Wait a couple of mins then asked is he coming to see me as if not I'm going. Not snotty or anything but he appeared within a minute.
Same sort of thing has happened at 2 meetings, a garage, council office and even at the doctors when as I went to leave was asked if I wanted to see one of the other doctors instead straight away. I appreciate that in some instances you will not get success but even at the dentist when I went to leave I got apologies and the first appointment in a couple of days so there would be no delays.
I have also gone out (I don't if they phone)when people are late at my house for an appointment and then end myself when they phone you up all self-righteous about you not being there. When you tell them you were only returning the compliment of not being there at the specific time they go a bit quiet.
Give it a go - you may be surprised.
Alasdair
Old 01 February 2005, 07:14 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Try that at our local doctors.... the reply will be "bye then"!!!

I have been known to just abandon my shopping in the queue out of impatience, however if I did that on a regular basis I would starve!!!
Old 01 February 2005, 07:44 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
I have been known to just abandon my shopping in the queue out of impatience, however if I did that on a regular basis I would starve!!!
I was very close to doing that in Asda yesterday. But i couldn't bring myself to abandon my basket, drive 10 miles to Tescos (Cirencester - classier customers), and start again.

But I suppose doing that is the only way store managers will figure out that they need more checkout staff when it's busy. I suspect at the moment the attitude in a lot of supermarkets is "so what if there's a queue, they still need to buy their food so will wait regardless".

In a similar vein though, I've been know to hang up during technical conference calls if some manager asks for my technical input, then talks b0ll0cks over me because he likes the sound of his own voice. Make em ring me back

Do you think people are starting to become less tolerant?
Old 01 February 2005, 08:10 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I only wish you could apply the same principles to phoning companies "Your call is held in a queue" "Your call is important to us" (well why not bloody answer it then)..... grrrrr
Old 01 February 2005, 08:29 AM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

I've done this a couple of times with people who turn up late for interviews.
"if you can't make it in on time for the interview what chance do you have of getting here on time for the job?"
One of the guys got very angry, said I was being unreasonable!!!
What a twisted view of the world!
Old 01 February 2005, 08:58 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
I was very close to doing that in Asda yesterday. But i couldn't bring myself to abandon my basket, drive 10 miles to Tescos (Cirencester - classier customers), and start again.
Probably wouldn't have had much more luck here in Ciren mate. Since they made it a Tesco 'Extra' they seem to have lost half their staff!

They chucked in a load more checkouts but there's never more than about 3 of them open!

I've always fancied standing there with my trolley and if I've had to queue for more than 5 minutes, start eating all the food - especially anything that is sold by weight or that can make a good mess. Then when it's your turn to be served, do an impression of Ace Ventura when he was stood at the buffet eating with his mouth open
Old 01 February 2005, 09:49 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

It does strike a chord as we seem to put up with too much of this crap nowadays. Admit if you've done a big shop you don't want to start again but as was said if lots of trolleys were left abandoned there would be a pretty quick rethink.
Don't get me wrong I realise that if I join a queue in the Post Office say then I have accepted the fact I'll wait but my main point is if I have made an appointment for a certain time I'll only wait for 5 mins past that. Then I'm off but making sure they know why. It's got results every time so far.
Alas
Old 01 February 2005, 10:19 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Sounds good to me. When I was out selling I was never late for an appointment. Many organisations and people in this country just don't seem to have grasped the concept of "customer care" whatever mission statements are proudly displayed.
My only caveat is, if one expects punctuality and good service one should provide this oneself.
Old 01 February 2005, 02:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

I'm inclined to agree with this thread, except for doctors and dentists.

Both can have emergencies, and if I was really needing to see one, I'd be more than happy, indeed, I HAVE been more than happy, to be seen as a matter of priority, even though it made others wait. As a result, I'll wait myself, if necessary, although I do sigh a lot

I regard it a bit like giving blood: if I, or my family, ever need blood, there'll be some available, so I don't mind giving up my time to ensure the same is true for others

I do agree when the service offered is non-emergency though, like solicitors, salesmen, delivery people, repair men etc etc.

Alcazar