Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lucky to be alive

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2005, 03:31 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lucky to be alive

Driving down a 60mph SC A road at 60. not much traffic apart from one car coming the other way and a motorbike overtaking him.

I'm watching this and think "that's badly planned, he's going to be alongside that car, on the white line at the same time that I'm alongside" so I move over a little, though the road is fairly narrow so I can't leave much more room than a motorbike width.

Get a little closer... "s**t, that's a car with the drivers headlight out!", drop the anchors, nearly end up in the armco and still escape by mere feet.

I hate people sometimes. Anyone got any beer?
Old 16 January 2005, 03:41 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Lucky escape. Can't believe how many cars have a headlight out at the mo'. Them, and the clueless prats with the chavvy foglights permanently on (yes, I do mean 90% of Peugeot drivers, 82% of people carriers and all BMW's) really p!ss me off on these dark nights. I really think it should be law here, like on the continent, to carry at least one spare of every bulb required, and Plod should be enforcing it. I suppose they might come up with a camera to do the job if they can push a bill through to increase the fines to make it viable

No excuse for the lousy driving though Glad you made it home
Old 16 January 2005, 03:43 AM
rb5037
Scooby Regular

Bad luck mate....or should i say that was lucky.

some people need sorting
Old 16 January 2005, 06:23 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

Ah, but was he, or were you, SPEEDING? If not, according to Labour, it's not a problem, because, as you know, "speed kills".

Alcazar
Old 16 January 2005, 09:10 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

The ten-mile "quiet" road trip I take to w**k every weekday is increasingly becoming a death-trap; people trying to force me off the road on roundabouts, regularly; women in 4x4s pulling onto the road without looking or indicating when I'm right on top of them, while obviously bollocking their child in the passenger seat; people overtaking on blind bends so I'm suddenly presented with someone on my side of the road as I turn the corner; the list is almost endless. In contrast, the way home in the opposite direction is usually completely without incident.
Old 16 January 2005, 09:30 AM
porlkertus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
The ten-mile "quiet" road trip I take to w**k every weekday is increasingly becoming a death-trap; people trying to force me off the road on roundabouts, regularly; women in 4x4s pulling onto the road without looking or indicating when I'm right on top of them, while obviously bollocking their child in the passenger seat; people overtaking on blind bends so I'm suddenly presented with someone on my side of the road as I turn the corner; the list is almost endless. In contrast, the way home in the opposite direction is usually completely without incident.
Sounds like you might hit the school run on your way in, and not on the way home - I know just how this feels =(
Old 16 January 2005, 09:37 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Glad everything is ok Lum.

And I agree about people with only 1 light and fogs on.

Driving down the M1 the other day, in the polo doing 65. Inside lane around J34 turns off to Meadowhall so only 2 lanes over viaduct. Check mirrors and the bloke who's been doing 50 all the way down is now going past me....at about 1mph faster than me. He's got 1 light oin and his fogs on.

So I'm waiting for him to pass so I can get in next lane...as he comes past he's over the white lines and in my Lane...and how he missed my front end I don't know as he pulls further into the lane. Oh and then he indicated when he was fully in the lane. I gave him a blast and moved away. Nothing else on the road.

Why do some people lose all common sense when they get behind a wheel ?
Old 16 January 2005, 10:09 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Them, and the clueless prats with the chavvy foglights permanently on (yes, I do mean 90% of Peugeot drivers, 82% of people carriers and all BMW's) really p!ss me off on these dark nights.
I've recently found that Phillips Rally 100w bulbs in main beam are most useful/amusing for when you come across these people.

[sarcasm]Sorry mate, you don't like being dazzled/blinded? That's weird, i don't mind your foglights at all.[/sarcasm].
Old 16 January 2005, 10:26 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

I had a very similar incident one evening when i was learning, only reason we missed was cos instructor saw a reflection on the side of the car and grab the wheel to swerve the car away, i didn't even know till after.

glad to hear you and car a ok though mate.
Old 16 January 2005, 10:34 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That must have been a nasty shock Lum. Glad you got away with it.

I agree with your comments too of course.

Les
Old 16 January 2005, 10:43 AM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lum
Driving down a 60mph SC A road at 60. not much traffic apart from one car coming the other way and a motorbike overtaking him.
I'm not being ignorant but how did you see a car and a bike when at the last minute you saw a one headlighted car
Old 16 January 2005, 11:08 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pbone
I'm not being ignorant but how did you see a car and a bike when at the last minute you saw a one headlighted car
2 lights with one light going past - looks like a bike overtaking a car
Old 16 January 2005, 02:47 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
2 lights with one light going past - looks like a bike overtaking a car
This is correct.
It doesn't help that the headlights on the rental Corsa I'm stuck in right now are really crappy, to the point that my GF asks if we're on sidelights (we wern't)
Old 16 January 2005, 06:43 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Angry

I had this at dusk/night. The first i realised it was another car was the impact as it hit my drivers side.

Made a mess of the car fortunately all i got was minor glass cuts from the windows and mirror.

Other car did not stop - ******!