Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

P1 fuel???????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2000, 10:29 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucky enough to have picked up my P1 now but i1m a bit baffled as to what fuel?
Super or regular unleaded?
What are u guys using?
Old 02 July 2000, 10:56 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Congrats on your new car, i haven' got a P1 but when i had my STi i run it on super and octane booster as i felt that the engine response and the sound of the engine was much better and it gave me a great deal of peace of mind, but if the power etc is not what you want and you are not going to keep it past the warrenty stick to normal unleaded the only other benifit i have heard is that it will give better mpg on super but when weighing up that compared to the cost of normal unleaded i'm not sure if it would give you a benifit apart from the GRIN factor of all that POWER.
Happy motoring anyway and please when it is run in give it a good blast for me!
Old 02 July 2000, 11:06 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

The big marketing ploy was 286bhp with standard emisions & unleaded. Probably, like the standard MY, it says inside the fuel cap "97 Ron Only". This actually means UK unleaded only. Doh!!

I only use super for track days
Old 02 July 2000, 11:35 PM
Acker
Scooby Regular

Well Arron the P1 supplement says
"Use 97/98 RON (Super Unleaded) ONLY"

It will run on 95 RON but the power output is definitely reduced as the turbo runs less boost.

I'm not taking any chances and it's nice to have the power so I only use Super. Jonathan has been running with 95 RON but his last dyno run was "lower" on power.

Also Super is about 5p per litre more.
So even with a completely empty tank it would only cost £3 more than using Normal Unleaded. Let's face it £3 is bugger all compared with the rest of the upkeep of the car.
Old 03 July 2000, 01:20 AM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Arron

the tyre pressures are also wrong in the supplement. Prodrive recommend 32 all round.

Also does anyone have a spotlight switch in their P1 that illuminates when the lights are on? I get the green bar at the top of the switch but the "light" symbol appears to be on a sticker. Havent had the heart to peel it off as I've only had the car three days. The fog light switch is fine .

Thanks

Russell
Old 03 July 2000, 11:30 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Arron - so you've finally got it

Question is....do you like???

Mines on Super...

Speak soon

All the best

Tom
Old 03 July 2000, 12:50 PM
PhilHulse
Scooby Regular

Hi Aaron. I had the same dilemna. Picked up the car which was 1/4 full. When I asked what grade had been put in I was told Premium (95 ron) which was the correct grade for the car and SUL was being withdrawn. Being somewhat sceptical after all I had heard on this BBS I read the manual which clearly states 97/98 RON. This in contradiction of all the pre-release press blurb. Needless to say my baby only gets the best(SUL).

Cheers,
Phil.
Old 03 July 2000, 01:18 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Question

Why spend 31.5K on a car and run on a lower grade fuel ?

I run SUL in MY 98MY UK turbo, always have and always will . With the problems of detting why take the risk ?. If you are doing a lot of miles in it then you may have brought the wrong car . People tell me I am stupid spending extra on SUL, they are entitled to take the risk if they want . I heard its no really advantage some say it is even a standard UK car. I was told by my supplying Subaru dealer cheif mechanic to always run SUL so I do.

If I want fuel economy and cheap fuel cost I would have brought a diesel .

Whats the really cost difference anyway.

For me:

4,000 miles a year @ 22mpg = 181 gallons

SUL : UL = ~40p a gallon more

181 x 0.40 = £72 quid a year or £1.38 a week not even the price of a pint a week .

Even at average mileage 10,000 its still only £3 a week

Arron run it on SUL is my advice

Cheers

chrisp

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 03-07-2000).]
Old 03 July 2000, 08:24 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for all the replies chaps.
The book clearly states super so super it is.
The dealer put normal unleaded in it when I picked it up since then I`ve run it on super and it seems to run a bit better.
Did you all run under 4000rpm?
I`m squirting it up to 6000 every now and again.
Rum, 350 miles so far and still smiling.
And still waiting for the backbox(on back order!)
Old 03 July 2000, 08:54 PM
Kevin Tree
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by russell hayward:
<B>Arron

the tyre pressures are also wrong in the supplement. Prodrive recommend 32 all round.

Also does anyone have a spotlight switch in their P1 that illuminates when the lights are on? I get the green bar at the top of the switch but the "light" symbol appears to be on a sticker. Havent had the heart to peel it off as I've only had the car three days. The fog light switch is fine .

Thanks

Russell [/quote]

Hi Russell,

No light on mine either, I have spoken to another owner and his hasn't got the light either, forgot to mention it at the first service, will doso on the next (at 3200 miles that won't be long )

Arron,
Glad to hear that you have it at last! I run on SUL as the book says, won't consider anything else and as Acker said, £3 a week isn't alot.

Enjoy the car, it gets better

Old 03 July 2000, 09:19 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
It is alledged that the P1 has had NO ECU mod's what so ever, and the only difference is that a Broquette has been placed in the fuel tanks.

Now, I know that lots of people claim to love this little gadget, and claim various improvments in idle, smoother running, ect'. I don't doubt their findings. I would however, be loath to trust my STi engine (particuarly '99 onwards) to 95RON, and a couple of lumps of alloy, if I intended driving the car as it was intended to be driven. There's a lot of '99 STi > owners who don't trust 97RON without octane booster, let alone 95.

On the other hand, you lucky P1 owners have a IM warranty to fall back on.

Mark.
Old 03 July 2000, 10:17 PM
Neil Scott
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Kevin & Russell,

The reason the spot light switch doesn't light up is because they have used a standard fog light switch and stuck a spot light switch 'logo' over the top of it. There is a working lamp behind the switch - it's just that it isn't quite strong enough to shine through the extra sticker. I have already peeled mine off

Neil.
Old 03 July 2000, 11:27 PM
Acker
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by russell hayward:
<B>

I get the green bar at the top of the switch but the "light" symbol appears to be on a sticker.
[/quote]

As Neil said it's just a sticker over the original switch but you should have a blue light not a green one. I cannot remember whether they change the bulb/diode or put a coloured sleeve over the existing bulb/diode, but it should be blue; i.e. main beam colour. This is done as part of the PDI.

No real hardship with the symbol not being lit up; I just run round with mine on all the time, after all they only come on when you select main beam, be that permanently or flashed.
Old 06 July 2000, 12:35 AM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

russell,

Are you confident that semi-synth Helix is OK for your car? I've always been told to use nothing less than fully-synth on a high-performance car.

Brian
Old 06 July 2000, 07:44 AM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Talking

1. Ran my car in under 4000 rpm for about 800 miles.Had the first service, (semi synth helix) and the car felt a bit slower low down. However, having been Scoobless for three months this was soon forgotten when I saw what the car could do. Will use Mobil 1 next time if I can get the OK from the dealer.

2. Spot switch - the bar is definitely green at the top(orange on the rear fogs switch). Dealer has ordered a proper switch and was very puzzled at the sticker.

3. I am now the proud owner of a sonic blue Momo gear ****, one of 32 specially produced for Listers !!

4. The blue side indicators and front clear indicators I fiited last week look really good, especially the side ones.If anyone is interested I will be able to upload a picture next week.

Old 06 July 2000, 09:48 AM
Otis
Scooby Regular

Is the broquette in the P1 fuel tank true then? Is it worth considering these for a UK MY00?

Otis.
Old 06 July 2000, 10:56 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Wink

Otis,

Broquet is certainly worth considering for your MY00. It really does improve the combustion process significantly. Phone me on 01403 823507 if you (or others) are interested. David Lock, Broquet distributor.
Old 06 July 2000, 08:52 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

re helix semi synth

dealer said it was OK but I shall change to fully synth at 7,500m. Gives the engine more of a chance to bed in I think

Had an interesting conversation with the dealer who supplied the car.Basically he said Mobil 1(either grade) was definitely not approved by Subaru UK. The oil had been the cause of too many warrantee claims for oil leaks. He said because it was very thin that it found any tiny gap and seeped through.

I have read from previous posts that Subaru UK do approve Mobil 1 motorsport but not the ordinary grade.This is in fact correct, as about six months ago when I had the RB5 I had a 22,500m service done and supplied myself some Mobil 1 msport.

When I returned to collect the car the dealer had a fax from Subaru UK confirming Mobil 1 msport was OK, but not the standard 0w50(I think).

Anyway, I will ring them myself and get something in writing before proceeding.

Old 06 July 2000, 10:17 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ok, which one of you brave P1 owners are going to peak inside their fuel tank and check whether a Broquet is really installed ?

I've got a MY00 WRX and like the idea of the device, especially for times when you cant find super unleaded.

Went to Yeovil on Tues. and couldnt find any sodding garages that sold Super ! Stopped at 6 garages - two of which were Texaco. Guess you dont need Super unleaded for tractors

Keep hearing the Broquet work and there seems to be a lot of testimonials, it just sounds to good to be true. The "not quite sure how it works" I also find off-putting.

Does it do anything for performance ?

Do they rattle ?

Also how am I going to explain to the missus that I spent a couple of hundred quid (how much are they any way) to put a bunch of metal pellets in my fuel tank

I am interested though.

bkar

[This message has been edited by Bright Kar (edited 06-07-2000).]
Old 07 July 2000, 12:04 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

David, what insurance will you offer me, should i try your device and then melt my engine on a track day?

If you can't offer me a guarantee in writing that it will not cause any problems and that you will pay me £10K for a new engine then i wont be using it.

I am a natural cynic (who cant spell )

cheers
john
Old 07 July 2000, 09:00 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Wink

Bright Kar

Your questions about Broquet.

1)Superunleaded. This is getting increasingly hard to find. Used by less than 2% of vehicles I believe and may well be phased out. Octane is now 97 - used to be 98.

2)Not quite sure how it works^. True up to a point but we don't try and bullsh*t with fancy theories. Certainly it results in a change to the fuel which in turn leads to a much more complete combustion of fuel.
^Note also that Broquet is a catalyst and the precise mechanism for many catalytic processes is not always fully understood.

3) Yes Broquet improves performance (if you accept that the combustion process is improved then the result must be slightly more power). It is used in race engines specifically to go faster.

4) They are free to move in tank but will not rattle

5) For a turbo Impreza the cost is £118.46 all in. This is a special Scoobynet price. The usual price would be £147.70.

6) Her indoors. You could say that you are investing in something that will save you around 60 pence a gallon for as long as you own the car. This saving achieved by using cheaper 95 RON (without losing performance) and a modest economy improvement. Or don't tell her ;-)

7) Happy to discuss Broquet at any time. 01403 823507.
Old 07 July 2000, 11:57 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Agree with above postings,

why take the risk.

I now use broquets with SUL and octane booster and car goes better than ever.

May have something to do with link and bob ralwe but who knows.

Okay they cost more but imprezas are not bought for economy. If you are gonna do, do it safely and properly. You will feel the difference of all of these things.
Old 07 July 2000, 01:21 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Adam M,

Thanks for comments above. David.

Hi John Felstead,

We don't extend our Warranty for use in a race environment and we are quite open about this. Our Warranty is for road use only but without any small print about driving style etc. Race engines blow up for all sorts of reasons not least a competitive driver continuing to race for points even with a sick engine where in other circumstances he would have stopped immediately before further havoc was reaped. This is just an example but can you imagine the arguments that would follow ?? I am NOT suggesting you would do this but I am sure you will understand the point!

As I mentioned above in this thread Broquet is used in race engines and we believe that it lessens the likelihood of engines "melting". We have some interesting experience in offshore power boat racing where drivers find that with Broquet they can get more top end revs in situations that would previously, in their experience, have blown the engine. I should also add that Broquet is officially banned in RAC motorsport events and in ACU (Auto Cycle Union) events simply because it gives competitors an unfair advantage.

If I were a race enthusiast like yourself I would use Broquet and the best fuel you can get to reduce engine stress and increase power output. I quite accept that the choice is yours absolutely. Do reconsider though as you might be pleasantly surprised.

I hope this adds positively to the debate.

Cheers, David Lock
Old 07 July 2000, 01:26 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Question

David,

how quickly is the benefit noticed?
would it show up on a rolling road test?

robski
Old 07 July 2000, 02:46 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
David, where did i mention racing?

I said track days.

Would you warrant the car being used on track days and if it melted would you pay me £10K for a new engine.

I put as much stress on the car on my track days as i would if i were racing, obviously if i had a problem i would stop running.

It is very common for engines running the levels of boost i run (26psi) to melt when they run on too low an octane fuel.

I always use 97ron and some millers CVL on track and just 97ron on the road. Tell me why i should risk changing this.

If you are not prepaired to warant my car for track day driving then i wont be a customer.

cheers
john
Old 07 July 2000, 03:20 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Hi John,

Sorry for any confusion - no doubt caused by my general lack of knowledge about track days/racing etc. I used the expression race environment which I intended to cover your track days events. Perhaps I should have said we don't extend our Warranty to off-road events.

I wasn't suggesting that you should risk changing fuels, in fact I said you should use the best fuel you can get. All I was saying that you should consider Broquet to improve the combustion of the fuel you use because that will bring its own benefits.

We will have to agree to differ on Broquet's merits!

Cheers, David
Old 07 July 2000, 03:23 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

Mr Lock,
I hope you will forgive me, as I know I am probably a bit late for the general debate on Broquet, and I don't wish to appear aggressive, but...

EDIT: Mr Lock. Humble apologies, but this post was originally written on the understanding that the catalyst was everlasting. That is to say that once the catalyst was in the fuel tank, it stayed there for ever, in the same way that a catalytic converter is. I notice that this was an assumption that I made, and in your literature you do not make any claims to that effect. I fully accept that the catalytic properties could be maintained if the catalyst is allowed to disolve and be carried to the site of the reaction. Once again. Sorry.

You will forgive me if I include the rest of the post for the sake of completeness (it is OK, I can take the ridicule ) which you may or may not wish to reply to.

"
My limited understanding is that a catalyst is a substance that is used in situ and modifies the process of a chemical process. That is to say a catalyst is
"a substance ( such as an enzyme) that enables a chemical reaction to proceed at a usually faster rate or under different conditions (as at a lower temperature) than otherwise possible". This would appear to be at odds with the proclaimed action of Broquet, given that the chemical reaction doesn't take place in the petrol tank, rather in the cylinder head.
Given this is a truism, then in what way does Broquet modify the fuel to provide greater combustion?
Bear in mind that if you accept the first comment as being true, an answer to the second will confirm that Broquet is *not* a true catalyst.
I will go one step further. If you therefore accept that it is not a true catalyst, and can provide no proof that there is a quantifiable difference in the combustion process, what assurances can you give us that it really does work and is worth the money.
"

KF.

[This message has been edited by KF (edited 07-07-2000).]
Old 07 July 2000, 03:31 PM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Where has that saucer of milk gone???
Old 07 July 2000, 03:39 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Robski,

Improvement is fairly quick although the longer Broquet is in contact with the fuel the better. However there are many factors to consider. These include whether one is using an in-line version or in-tank. Extreme care has to be taken in "before" and "after" rolling road tests to ensure that conditions are exactly the same. A number of rolling road tests have been done and certainly there is a power increase - we got an extra 10 bhp out of a race tuned Porsche, for example. If anyone is interested in these sort of tests I can provide more information.
David Lock
Old 07 July 2000, 03:42 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

Just to confirm that I have *just* edited my original post on this subject...
KF

Quick Reply: P1 fuel???????????????????