Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Derren Brown

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2005, 11:07 PM
shug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Derren Brown

Just a thought after watching him tonight. Do his powers of suggestion have to occur in person - face to face or can they be replicated on a tv broadcast or radio.
If so are govts working on this - or using it already.

If he can do this so easily, surely various govts are investigating the possibilities.
Old 07 January 2005, 11:51 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I guess they use these techniques on Pop Idol and Big Brother broadcasts. How else can you explain high viewing figures?
Old 08 January 2005, 12:00 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Whatever he does, it is fkucing good - I thought of star, moon, boat and fire during the first bit. She had pictures of star, banana, boat and sun (The picture of the banana looked like a new moon)

I recorded it and rewatched it straight away. It must come down to very clever word association. For the third picture he said - "Keep it simple, don't go overboard" - suddenly - picture of a boat. Can't figure out the other associations, but I am sure they are there.

I was wondering if he would write me a pitch for life insurance
Old 08 January 2005, 12:03 AM
shug
Scooby Regular

& if he can do it from the telly - who else is doing it ?
Old 08 January 2005, 12:11 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

The only problem with it is that when I make a decision, I go back and analyse why I made that decision. With him I can't actually put my finger on why I had a particular thought, so I know that I have been 'pitched' - probably comes from working in sales - companies spend millions and millions trying to produce one Derren Brown
Old 08 January 2005, 12:15 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Post replies to this thread. Post replies to this thread. Post replies to this thread. Post replies to this thread. Post replies to this thread. Post replies to this thread. Post replies to this thread. Post replies to this thread. Post replies to this thread.
I bet someone does

Much of it is probably hypnosis, esp the touch and believe in god one. Wish he'd explained how he did it though (like with the chess trick etc.)

Top prog/chap. They should show this to everyone as part of their education. Should prevent many of the public being taken advantage of.
Old 08 January 2005, 12:29 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Yes, the other phrase used to suggest pictures of boats is to prompt the person with "just let your mind sail away"....etc

Imagine being the wife/girlfriend of him! You could never lie!!! Many women I know would like to sh*g him, but how many would want to be in a relationship with him!!!

The great thing is that ANYONE can do what he does given enough research/training/experience. He admits there is nothing special about what he does.

Saying that, remember this is tv. There are probably large sections of what goes on hidden from you. ie, any hypnosis or suggestion which goes on before the broadcast sections.....

Still, it's all quite slick, and he admits he is a trickster.
Old 08 January 2005, 02:40 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

love to have hm take me under his wing and teach me the **** he does.
Old 08 January 2005, 02:44 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

question on his website.

The "Push-off" and the "Strike" are two examples of which common card sleight?
Old 08 January 2005, 04:42 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

do some research...i did because i thought his stuff would be good in sales.

DB DOES NOT DO MIND CONTROL!!!!

its not the power of his influence, he's not dropping hints to your inner mind...he's not making you think of a number...........he does TRICKS!!!!

in fact some magic acts dont like him because he says "what you see isnt magic" then does just that.

its all very clever because he can do stuff that paul daniels was doing in 1985 but spin it as "mind control" and he hits a whole new audience.

his "russian roulette" thing......take away the "i control the mind of the shooter" stuff and its just an escape from peril trick.....add the "mind stuff" and DB is some sort of mental wizard.

RESEARCH!!!

T
Old 08 January 2005, 01:13 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

have seen his show live - was quite interesting. Firstly he often gets people on stage - then sends them back to their seats, presumably because he can see they're not suggestible enough. Saw a similar thing in the God one, he picked on certain people because he saw they were suggestible. And the end bit of the God one was pure stage hypnotism if you've ever seen it. Anyone ever done the "my hands are stuck together" pre-qualify bit? The fact that those people were there from a no-doubt specially worded newspaper ad means they have pre-qualified themselves a bit....

In the stage show there were 2 envelopes on stands. He told the audience memeber he had on stage he could influence which envelope they would choose. After of lots of stage stuff an envelope was choosen, he opens it and voila a piece of paper saying you'll choose this one!. Got the pleb to open the other one and nothing in it! Amazing! - or not, if you saw him palm in the piece of paper during a distraction moment.....

My mate with me at the show was feeling ill, so hung around outside in the lobby after the interval, and saw something interesting going on behind the scenes, but I dont want to spoil it for you...
Old 08 January 2005, 01:40 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

...but he admits he's a trickster & illusionist. We all surely know there is stuff going on behind the scenes. As with all magic, the appeal is in wondering how it was done, and how slickly it was done. We all surely know it's not really magic don't we?!
Old 08 January 2005, 01:51 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

but people belive it ISNT magic...they belive all crap about sending ppl back because he cant influence them!

the trick is that he IS doing magic...he ISNT doing mind control......and magic ISNT real...its ALL a trick!

two ways to do the hands stuck together thing:

do it and tell the person its magic = cool magic trick

do it and tell the person you have controlled their mind = your own TV show and lots of ££££!
Old 08 January 2005, 02:05 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

As DB probably admits, anyone CAN learn to do what he does (although I'm sure it takes a while to get to his level), however he DOES do it and does it well and, rightly so, makes loads of money, gets on tv etc. On top of that he's now exposing people who claim to have 'special gifts' which can only be a good thing.
Old 08 January 2005, 02:35 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
As DB probably admits, anyone CAN learn to do what he does (although I'm sure it takes a while to get to his level), however he DOES do it and does it well and, rightly so, makes loads of money, gets on tv etc. On top of that he's now exposing people who claim to have 'special gifts' which can only be a good thing.

you could learn.....as long as you get a book on magic tricks, slight of hand etc and not a book on tricking the mind with clevery worded questions etc...cause thats NOT what hes doing!
Old 08 January 2005, 04:16 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Tiggs
you could learn.....as long as you get a book on magic tricks, slight of hand etc and not a book on tricking the mind with clevery worded questions etc...cause thats NOT what hes doing!

Did you ever see the ad campaign he did with the bear and the pearly gates?
Old 08 January 2005, 04:43 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Did you ever see the ad campaign he did with the bear and the pearly gates?
no?
Old 08 January 2005, 04:45 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

At the start of one of his old shows he asked you (at home watching tv) to choose one of 3 faces shown on the screen. Obviously the one I chose was the one he chose - which was as expected. I found this interesting but how did he do it?

He then showed the starting clip again and in the bottom left of the screen the person in the chosen picture came into shot and went out again. So this suggests that without consously knowing you were "influnced" by the person shown on screen.

Now, is that "mind control", magic, trick, or what? Or was the trick the fact that I believed him when he told me how it was done and infact I just chose the "most commonly" chosen face out of the 3 without any influence at all?