300D Battery grip and Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2004, 08:41 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300D Battery grip and Batteries

Hi, anyone for a 300D forum!

I've ordered a 300D from www.easygadget.co.uk and I've also got a 2 gig card coming too My question is this, would you buy the battery grip thng from ebay? They're on there for around about 60 quid but they come from Hong Kong and I've heard all sorts of horror stories about being stung for VAT and stuff

I'm considering some batteries from www.7dayshop.com for a tenner, actually they have the grip for £99.99

Waddya reckon!
Old 13 December 2004, 09:11 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Bought my 300d from 7dayshop.com And i have bought alot of other stuff from them too so i know they are OK.

I cant see the point of the grip why not just carry a fully charged spare ???.
If it boosted the shutter speed and or flash i could be persuaded
Old 13 December 2004, 09:16 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattstant
I cant see the point of the grip why not just carry a fully charged spare ???.
The point unless I'm very much mistaken is to make the camera easier to hold when taking pictures with a vertical orientation. I have one built into my Nikon and wouldn't be without it, but I don't know how good the one is for the 300D.

tiggers.
Old 13 December 2004, 09:53 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I have a spare grip that I never use
Old 13 December 2004, 09:56 PM
Jon_Murgie
Scooby Regular

I got the grip with my 300D and use it about 90% of the time when taking pics as I personally find the camera is better balanced and much nicer to handle... it IS personal preference though, and it takes some time getting used to the weight

The grip also gives you much greater/easier control over taking portrait shots as it has a shutter button, the scroll wheel and a couple of other buttons... very useful if you ask me
Old 13 December 2004, 10:24 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thanks guys

I've ordered loads from 7day, I used them for my film so normally I wouldn't hesistate to buy from them, I just saw the stuff on ebay

Dave, you have PM
Old 13 December 2004, 11:09 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

just incase you didnt know 300D forum
Old 13 December 2004, 11:16 PM
springbok
Scooby Regular

Yeh Mr T is going digital
I want to see tons of pics mext year Bob in the motorsport forum
I have bought the battery equivalents for my 10D from 7 dayshop and they have been fine.
I also have a battery grip for the 10D, with 2 batteries loaded in the grip you'll last all day at a rally. I have 4 batteries now, so 2 are always on charge.
Old 13 December 2004, 11:41 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Brilliant, cheers PG

Springy, I seem to remember you saying you were happy with your batteries form 7day, that's good Don't worry, there'll be a few pics going up, I don't have to be shy with the multi shot thing either now it's not costing the earth per shot!
Old 14 December 2004, 09:11 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Bob

I see my easygadget post is helping others thats good. Black is definetly the better choice. They seem to take a while to deliver though.

I bought 8 batteries from honkkong for a friend and myself as long as the amount is below £18 it bypasses duty and VAT. they shipped in seperate envelopes to avoid the duty. To be honest the battery life is superb, I was shoting on saturday took 100's of pictures and regularly previewed and deleted, majority had some sort of flash and a single battery lasted all day and enough to download the pictures to the PC. had a charged spare anyway.

im not convinced about the battery grip to be honest i found the additional weight annoying. and there are new and used UK bg-e1 on ebay going for less than £60, So i am still considering getting one.

If you want some batteries I will be putting 2 on ebay very soon as i will never need 5 batteries, 2 batteries for £12 if you want them, never used I havent even charged them yet.

I have bought a lenses and other bits from the states as they are less than half the price than here. even when adding on the shipping and duty. I clubbed together with some friends and bought 5 lenses some filters couple of bags and other bits from them and with the shipping and possible suty we still saved 46% over the cheapest uk prices.

for example a 75-300usm canon lens $159 + shipping and tax worked out to be about £106 cheapest price here I found was around £200. and the IS and L are even better value.

check out

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com
Old 14 December 2004, 10:49 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

got my 300d battery grip for 65 on ebay along with original canon batteries for £20 each. if you are prepared to snipe in a bid at an ungodly hour then there are bargains to be had. Like Pbee i bought a black version from easygadgets. unfortunately it DOES NOT come with the usm lens. having said that the grip adds a certain bulk to the camera that i find reassuring for some reason. have to agree with the battery life, it is superb and with the added battery in the grip it lasts for ages. 7dayshop are doing the 70-300 usm zoom for 129 atm, great value for uk.

great camera, just love it.

cheers

sinky

Last edited by bigsinky; 14 December 2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old 14 December 2004, 11:13 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tiggers
The point unless I'm very much mistaken is to make the camera easier to hold when taking pictures with a vertical orientation. I have one built into my Nikon and wouldn't be without it, but I don't know how good the one is for the 300D.

tiggers.
Point taken tiggers but personally i prefer to travel lightweight i have A Lowe pro bag which is big enough for my camera a 28-70,70-210 and a few films (well when i used to use my old eos 600 and later 100 no need now I'm digital)

It has been from the bush in tasmania to skiing in the alps and is still going strong it even used to hold my old Sony Ruvi video camera as well
Old 14 December 2004, 11:47 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I'm not too worried about the lens as I have the 28-90 and 75-300, both USM, from my EOS300V

Cheers!