Rolexes as an investment.

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2004, 10:02 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rolexes as an investment.

Or, in other words, FAO Yoza.

Word has come to me that my brother is considering the purchase of a Rolex watch as an investment. Now, I know **** all about watches, but is this a viable proposition? Don't they depreciate like anything else? (Barring houses, of course).

If it is a goer, what models should he be considering ?

Cheers, Bubs.
Old 12 December 2004, 10:24 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

I personaly brought my Rolex because i liked it.
Is it an Investment ?? Dont think so, well mine isnt. (Yacht Master)

Saying all that the Daytona is a watch that retails at £3500 or something and will easily make £5500 the same day as you get it
Old 12 December 2004, 10:29 AM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

If you want to get one that will not depreciate then the Gents Sports stainless steel models are the ones to go for, avoid gold, best one is the Daytona, Submariner etc.
Daytona's cost circa £3200 new but go for upwards of £5500 on ebay as there is a 6 year waiting list, Submariners supposedly have a 2 year waiting list and GMT II and Explorer II have arouns 6 months.

I wonder if this is concocted by UK dealers though as if you go to Spain, you can buy these watches (not sure on Daytona though) over the counter, I bought my Submariner in Ibiza and it was in the shop window, 3 other jewellers in Ibiza town all had Submariners and GMT II's in aswell.
Old 12 December 2004, 10:39 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i wouldnt exaclty consider a rolex as an investment, i know mine has went up more than £1.5k on the price i bought mine for but 2nd hand value will only be near what i paid for it if you after a rolex it might be a better idea to see if jersey has a stockist as a short trip to jersey could save you all the VAT on the watch i bought mine when i was in the Cayman Islands and mine was over £700 cheaper than the same model in the UK
Old 12 December 2004, 10:40 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

is it worth buying in the States atm with the dollar as it is ?
any sites for price comparrison ?
Old 12 December 2004, 10:42 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Have had an Oyster Perpetural Date Explorer II on my wrist everyday for the last 7 years.......... Subtle as its silver with black face. Back then it was one of the cheaper Rolexes

A trade value on it, was approx 60% or so I was told in London. Waiting list in UK for new was 6mths.

Hope it helps

J
Old 12 December 2004, 10:44 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG
is it worth buying in the States atm with the dollar as it is ?
any sites for price comparrison ?
I'd imagine this is a very good idea ....... and has made me make a note to look when I goes in Feb as well

J

Trending Topics

Old 12 December 2004, 01:27 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies, everyone. To tell you the truth, I don't even know where he's got this idea from. Perhaps someone at w**k.
Old 12 December 2004, 07:06 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

1.Stell subs and explorers are easy to locate with a bit of effort.My local rolex dealer had an explorer II in the window for nearly a year,its just a case of ringing round.
2.Steel daytona's are harder to come by,yes.
3.Are they an investment,dont think so when you add in servicing costs unless its an explorer II 1655 orange hand,very desirable watches.
4.IMO buying a watch as an investment misses the whole point.You should buy a watch because they are fantastic pieces of minature engineering,money doesnt come into it.

Oh,and finally,Yoza is not the only one with any knowledge or love of of watches..........

Old 12 December 2004, 09:54 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

No, He isn't... he's just high-profile...

I think that bruv is a bit p'd off. Divorced and lost his house; house prices too high to buy again; wants to buy himself something nice but can't justify a car because they all depreciate like ****.......
Old 12 December 2004, 10:44 PM
yoza
BANNED

It depends on the model.

If you buy a Daytona at £3300 list, you can sell it the next day to a dealer for £5000+......

If you buy an Explorer II for £2300, you can sell it the next day to a fellow scoobynetter for £1600......

I did the latter, of course....
Old 12 December 2004, 10:47 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Ch'Yeah....
Old 14 December 2004, 12:02 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

All i know is My oyster perpetual air king date cost £600 new in 1985 and has been insurance appraised and certified for £1900 thats an increase of £100 per year (servicing apart)
Old 14 December 2004, 12:07 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, but think you'll find that's new for old replacement value? Try selling it to someone for that price and you'll get no takers. Nevertheless, you can probably sell it for (plucks figure out of air) a grand. At 66% gain over 20 years you won't become Warren Buffett.

Bought mine s/h for 1600, new price was 2200, and it was four years old. Someone had sold it to the shop for less than 1600 clearly. So that lost money in five years. Might be able to resell at higher than purchase price once the new value is about 3k, so that'll be after quite some years.

Probably get more by putting the money in the bank over that time.

Let's be honest - they're a bit like Porsches (see Other Marques ), you don't buy them as an investment, you just buy them as they depreciate slower than the competition.