Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Edinburgh nightlife

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2004, 06:16 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edinburgh nightlife

Am visiting Edinburgh this Thursday and am looking for some recommendations on good club/pubs.

Am staying on Princes Street, and have already booked the Cavalry Club for the meal out, but myself and eight mates need places to go afterwards.

When we went last year, felt we were missing out a bit as we did not find anywhere that good after we had finished eating, and ended up in a bit of a chav hole.

Have heard that Lombard Street is quite good, is this true?

Basically, we are all 30-45, have a night away from the ball and chain, and want to go somewhere decent, which stays open until about 2.

Any suggestions?
Old 29 November 2004, 06:37 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Its nothin special from what I've seen
Old 29 November 2004, 07:03 PM
*mugen*power*
Scooby Regular

Many of places to go in Edinburgh but depends on what scene you like...don't go to cowgate if you don't like the studenty type bars, stick with George Street and Ricks, whcih is just down the road from Po Na Na's (sp)
both Ricks and po na na's are great places...have a few drinks at ricks then head up to pnn...they are one...frederick street I think...just round the corner from Opal Lounge...
I know that PNN closes at 3 anyway
hope that helps
Old 29 November 2004, 07:44 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

The best pub close to the Cavalry Club is definitely Bert's Bar on William street.
Pity you'll be too full of curry to enjoy the pies. They are amazing, as is the beer.
http://www.bestpubs.co.uk/layout0.asp?pub=105799
There are some useful boozers on cockburn st and victoria street, I'd have few in Berts then get a cab to that area and try a few, there are so many pubs, mostly good, it's hard to say where to start. You could try going to the Stand Comedy Club on York Place if you fancy something different to do.
http://www.thestand.co.uk/listings/l...s_edin_dec.htm
in fact Simon Munnery is on this Thursday, I might see you there
Old 29 November 2004, 08:27 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Are you wanting to window-shop or not? That's key to the choice really
Old 30 November 2004, 08:05 AM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, keep them coming. What about Lombard Street, is it just lap dancing/shoreditch type places, or any good bars around that part of town?

And yes, window shopping is definitely on the agenda!!
Old 30 November 2004, 08:16 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Robert Rosario
Cheers guys, keep them coming. What about Lombard Street, is it just lap dancing/shoreditch type places, or any good bars around that part of town?

And yes, window shopping is definitely on the agenda!!
You mentioned this before, but I didn't pick up on it....but AFAIK, there is no street called Lombard St in Edinburgh!
I can't even think of a similar sounding name for a street.........

If you want lapdancing, there is the area commonly known as the "Pubic Triangle" which is between Tollcross & the Grassmarket in a street known as the West Port/Bread St.

More classy (if there is such a thing) lap dancing is available at Shandwick Place just off the west end of Princes St at the Fantasy Lounge. There is also another one in Tollcross, the name of which I can't recall.

For window-shopping, depends on age & status of the windows you want to peer through, but as someone else said, George St (runs parallel to Princes St) should be ok on a Thu night. Opal Lounge (where Prince William is said to sometimes hang out), Poo-Nah-Nah. There's also nightclubs like The Dome on George St, but not been in here for years.

For scrubber type pubs in that area, you can't go wrong with Maddogs, Fingers Piano Bar, etc. Maddogs is a pub and AFAIK is open until 3am.

Grassmarket is no longer the busy place it was, and neither is Rose St. Cowgate should be fine on a Thu night (3 Sisters, etc), but will be a large proportion of students.

As usual, always varies on the night, and the grass is always greener
Old 30 November 2004, 08:18 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Oh, and if you want some live music & a late night, then Whistle Binkies on South Bridge (just off the High St) is open until 3am - usually always packed out.
Old 30 November 2004, 08:46 AM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

imlach, thanks a lot mate, superb information.

re lombard street, dont know where that came from, but mate definitely mentioned it. Probably another urban myth.
Old 30 November 2004, 08:49 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

The, cough, errrm, 'dancing bar' on Tolcross is called the Fantasy Bar .. cough, ahem

Avalyn.
Old 30 November 2004, 08:51 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Avalyn
The, cough, errrm, 'dancing bar' on Tolcross is called the Fantasy Bar .. cough, ahem

Avalyn.
...it's gone through a couple of changes of names since then, hence why I couldn't remember the current name.

However, jump in a taxi, and they'll know where you mean.........
Old 30 November 2004, 09:06 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

There is this great club on Lothian Road called 'Revolution' you should go there
Old 30 November 2004, 10:34 AM
Clett
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
There is this great club on Lothian Road called 'Revolution' you should go there
Good grief, you might as well send him to the Scrubway!
Old 30 November 2004, 10:48 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

If you're in the 30-45 age range, I'd give Revolution a miss. It's a cliched old-school nightclub with far too many young chavettes looking for meatheads
Old 04 December 2004, 05:31 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Now you are showing your age Richard !

Gastro
Old 06 December 2004, 08:49 AM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Just thought i would post up the events of the night last Thursday.

Started at about 2 pm at Rutland No 1. Had a couple in there, before walking round up near the castle, doing the usual touristy bit.

Popped back to the hotel, got changed, went back to re-gropu at this pub round the corner from the Rutland with a big inflatable bottle of Corona outside, henry beams I think it was called. 2 for 1 offer in there, so could not go wrong, but only stayed a little while as Cavalry Club booked for 7

Great meal in there, usual high standard, and about 25 ish each, including two rounds, so cant complain at that one.

After the meal headed to this pub called the Shakespeare to watch the rangers game, not the best place, but opposite "The Fantasy Bar" so headed in there afterwards. The usual routine, but one of our group enjoyed it, as he had six private dances, one after the other.

Then a few of us left and headed towards the Opal Loung. Could not get in there, as it was a case of "no more than two lads at a time" routine.

Then headed off to Po Na Na's. Again, not allowed in there, as one of our group supposedly looked "too wasted" He was no worse than any of us, so felt that this was a bit out of order.

Then went to The Dome, which was really nice inside, but completely lacking in any sort of atmosphere, and was pretty empty.

So, we left there, and went to Mad Dogs, which we sort of found by accident. Again, very disappointing as there was a couple of office night outs in there, all blokes with ties half undone with guts hanging out, trying to snog Tracy from accounts.

So, went back to the hotel for a couple to finish the night off.

In summary, great place, Lothian road kept getting mentioned on the night, so maybe next year, we will head up that way.
Old 06 December 2004, 08:58 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Poo Na Na does tend to be like that. Try to avoid it for that reason as can't be bothered with little Hitler bouncers. If your face doesn't fit, you're not getting in. Had this argument with them many times over others who were "wasted" (one was 100% sober!), but there's not any point.

There's a nightclub underneath The Dome as opposed to The Dome itself (which is just a pub).

I did mention Maddogs in my post above (scrubber pub - you found it was true!).

Lothian Road - wouldn't say it was that great.