Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Asthma and Marijuana

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2004, 06:31 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Asthma and Marijuana

right. went to the Drs the other day due to my asthma killing me. been given a steroid inhaler. he asked me if i smoked marijuana which i dont usually. anyways, im off to a friend house tonight and i know they will be hitting that ****. i wont be but il be in the same room with my bottles of Newcky Brown.

Is marijuana bad on top of steroids or summat? ???
Old 03 December 2004, 06:36 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Yes it'll kill you

if were lucky

Chip
Old 03 December 2004, 06:37 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Old 03 December 2004, 06:52 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

erm dont think so mate, being a fella that has tried a few things like this :P having the odd toke as a yound adult never hurt me apart from my memory.......anyway what was I typing? :P

I have asthma, and had a couple of joints everynow and then, not always the same stuff mind you, nothing adverse happened to me apart from a mad craving for digestif biscuits!
Old 03 December 2004, 06:54 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

noooo i have asthma and i smoke roughly an oz a month
Old 03 December 2004, 06:54 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would assume it's bad for asthma for the same reasons smoking anything is bad for asthma.

M
Old 03 December 2004, 06:56 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
I would assume it's bad for asthma for the same reasons smoking anything is bad for asthma.

M

What he said

But after a few pulls you wont care what you are smoking/wearing/saying/doing it all feels the same

Trending Topics

Old 03 December 2004, 07:03 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

hehe
last week i got a bit passively stoned and couldnt stop laughing and saying "no no no no no no no no no no no no YES!!!!" hahahahhahaha.

twas weird.
Old 03 December 2004, 07:48 PM
Adam Davis
Scooby Regular

It may kill you in 20/30/40 years time.

It will most likely give you a bad chest tomorrow morning.

However, just have a wee puff and enjoy having a good spiffle with your mates tonight
Old 03 December 2004, 08:23 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I had to watch my 28 year old Sister in Law fight for her life on life support and in a coma for two weeks in 2003.

She suffers mild asthma and has had a few minor attacks in the past but suffered a big attack after a night out. Her asthma is far worse now as well.

You are going to have to ask yourself if the risk of you going is worth it while you are not feeling great. The smoke will upset your lungs and Marijuana will react with the steroids.

A bigger question is how good your mates are if they are making you choose between your health or a night with them.

Cheers
Lee
Old 04 December 2004, 03:36 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

And Marijuana can aid the release of a tight chest for some ashtma sufferers, thus helping them breathe more easily.

Good and bad in everything
Old 04 December 2004, 03:45 AM
Little Miss WRX

Funkii, is there any clinical proof of that????

Poor Guy, what are you allergic to? Take allergy tests and determine what the specifics are. Smoking when you are asthmatic you are basically taking your life into your own hands......
Old 04 December 2004, 12:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What do you want the stuff for anyway? Be your own man!

Les
Old 04 December 2004, 05:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I know someone who canes it, dont know if it was a coincidence but he ended up Epileptic, wasnt as a kid, just came on after years of smoking weed. The way he talks though, I am missing out on its health giving properties, wont hear a word against it, also I am ruining my health having a few cans of beer.
Old 04 December 2004, 08:08 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

LMWRX no clinical proof that i'm aware of, although i've never looked for any, only though Ashtmatics I know who smoke it, also used by MS sufferers and cancer patients to ease pain and spasms, call it homeopathy.
Old 05 December 2004, 12:15 AM
Little Miss WRX

Ah okay, I am aware of the "painkilling" aspects for those with chronic/terminal pain.....however, I hadn't known of any benefits arising from inhaling it in an asthmatics case.
Old 05 December 2004, 12:20 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

my cous is asthmatic and he swears a spliff is far better than an inhaler any day. He only smokes leaves - no baccy and resin sh1te
Old 05 December 2004, 07:55 AM
richieh
Scooby Regular

some stuff about medical usage etc here http://www.idmu.co.uk/hol6.htm

specific to asthma copied from the same page
6.8 Therapeutic research in the treatment of Asthma
6.8.1 Cannabis and cannabis extracts have a long history in the treatment of asthma-related complaints, as long ago as 1695, including an enquiry by the Ohio State Medical Committee in 1860 where oral dosage of one grain of tincture every three hours produced "almost magical" relief from asthma symptoms. J. Russell Reynolds personal physician to Queen Victoria, writing in 1890 stated that "in some cases it relieves spasmodic asthma", and Mattison, in 1891, reported similar findings.
6.8.2 Modern research has tended to confirm traditional therapeutic use as an anti-inflammatory and bronchodilator agent. Vachon et al, using volunteer asthma patients, found that smoke from low-potency material (1.9% & 0.9% THC) showed highly significant bronchodilator effects, which did not appear to be dose related, lasting for up to 90 minutes after administration.

6.8.3 Tashkin et al in double-blind experiments using smoked cannabis with 2% or 0% THC (0% - placebo - all cannabinoids extracted before administration), as well as 15mg synthetic THC administered orally, found increases in specific airway conductance (bronchodilation) with smoked and oral drug conditions, and concluded that the 0% THC placebo may contain some as yet unidentified bronchodilator, as there was no broncho-constriction, which might have been expected in asthmatics following inhalation of particulate matter. They concluded that THC was effective in relieving exercise-induced bronchospasm, with the duration of the bronchodilatory action lasting from 2hr to 4hr after administration. Oral THC produced significant, but less pronounced, effects. In 1977 the same team used aerosolised THC in 5mg and 20mg doses, producing similar and significant bronchodilation after all doses, with the lower dose producing fewer physical (tachycardia) or psychological (high) side effects than the higher dose or smoked marijuana. The effect was slower in onset but longer in duration than isoproterenol, a conventional bronchodilator agent. Williams et al also concluded that THC and salbutamol (ventolin) were equally effective in improving ventilatory function 1 hour after administration by aerosol, with THC having the longer duration of action.

6.8.4 Abboud & Sanders found that bronchodilator effects were unreliable when 10mg oral THC was used, some slight increase in airway conductance was noted although one patient developed severe bronchoconstriction.

6.8.5 Reviewing the evidence in 1986, Graham concluded that THC is an active bronchodilator with a different mode of action from the common preparations such as salbutamol and terbutaline, and active when ingested orally or by inhalation. Oral use (2mg to 20mg in a sesame oil capsule) was slower in onset than inhalation, which although not ideal, due to the particulate matter in smoke, could produce swift relief from symptoms. Higher amounts - i.e. 50-75mg of THC - showed a dose-related effect. Tests of CBN (600mg) and CBD (1200mg) showed these cannabinoids not to have bronchodilator activity. Prolonged administration produced no evidence of clinical tolerance to any of the actions of THC. Speculated that the action of THC may involve suppression of the release of endogenous substances causing asthma (e.g. SRS-A), rather than inhibiting their activity.

richie
Old 05 December 2004, 11:35 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

6.8.6 Subjects exposed to the THC were observed to head off to the all night garage and spent 20 uk pounds on Pepperami, crisps, chocolate etc and troff the f*ckin lot.
Old 06 December 2004, 01:42 AM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

foflmao at J4CKO
Old 06 December 2004, 09:08 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

i did have some spliff, hated it, cant stand backy. had some weed a la bongo and didnt ive me any greif.

6.8.6 Subject exposed to the THC was observed to head off to the kitchen and eat 1 cheese burger, tortelloni with tomatoes and cheese, consumed 1/2 block of cheese while making the tortelloni, and 1/2 a pizza.