Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How good is your Company ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2004, 01:42 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool How good is your Company ?

I have seen the Times "100 best companies to work for" web site, but it seems HIGHLY sanitised. Is there a forum / web site for current employees to express their opinion of their employer ?

I only ask as I want to know if a prospective employer is a git or not, current indications are the they are a WAT with a mobile T
Old 11 November 2004, 03:41 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Ignore the Times 100 Best Companies list. My gf worked in HR at a company that was pretty high up in that list (then top 20) and they were a nightmare to work for. It's quite straightforward for a company, if it can be ar5ed, to get in the top 100. It often has no bearing on what the company is like to work for.

I would go with the current indications you mention. Either that, or try and find someone who does/used to work there.
Old 11 November 2004, 08:56 AM
andys
Scooby Regular

I work for an IT company that were in the top 20 for a couple of years. The company has now pissed off most of the people who work there and as such have come up with some lame excuss not to enter this year as they know they will get hammered by the staff.
Old 11 November 2004, 08:57 AM
gutter-rat
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by jods
Is there a forum / web site for current employees to express their opinion of their employer ?
Employee's get "randomly" selected to fill in a anonymous questionaire.
I just got selected.
Could have some fun with this, seeing as I'm gonna be made redundant in the next couple of weeks anyway
Old 11 November 2004, 09:12 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

IIRC ASDA won this last year, misses works there and there a right bunch of ***** to work for IMO god knows how they got anywhere near the top 1million, proper ar$eholes.

i.e she was'nt even allowed a day off for my grandads funeral because we aint married (live together and been seeing each other for 7 years but that dont matter)
Old 11 November 2004, 09:26 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
IIRC ASDA won this last year, misses works there and there a right bunch of ***** to work for IMO god knows how they got anywhere near the top 1million, proper ar$eholes.

i.e she was'nt even allowed a day off for my grandads funeral because we aint married (live together and been seeing each other for 7 years but that dont matter)
Dont take this the wrong way, but i know where there coming from,

i worked with a guy, and he buried his grandad 3 times in 5 years!!!

where do you draw the line??

M
Old 11 November 2004, 09:34 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, let me see.

My MD, two faced ostrich. Sweeps every problem under the carpet until they have naturally decayed away. Would rather slope off oil painting than run his company and is as pleasant as pie to your face, so he distracts you from his henchmen stabbing you in the back.

My department manager, clueless control freak. Cannot delegate responsibility due to abject fear and paranoia that a mistake may occur, hence works 15 hour days and won't leave anyone to get on with anything. FFS, if your staff can't do the job in hand, YOU have either neglected training needs, or hired the wrong staff. Either way, it's YOUR fault, and that's why you've got conjunctivitis and a peptic ulser.

Shift managers, nothing more than greedy bullies. No interest in the companies wellbeing and certainly not interested in any individuals circumstances. They just want to exert their meagre authority to the extreme and feel smug about it. Sod production, what IS health & safety, and why should we train you when we can look clever and make you feel inadequate when you either can't do something or **** up.

The department I work in is a total mess on every level. H&S could cease production immediately, the whole staff require training on many levels and the whole place stumbles along in a state of confused panic. The only good thing is, they pay well, so we all just lump it. There is no-one above who'd listen, as the higher you go, the more arrogant they seem to get so we all just take the money and run.

This is a multi-national, billion £ printing group with multiple sites across the UK and into Europe. I'd much prefer to work for a small company, but with big company wages
Old 11 November 2004, 09:42 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Hmmm, let me see.

My MD, two faced ostrich. Sweeps every problem under the carpet until they have naturally decayed away. Would rather slope off oil painting than run his company and is as pleasant as pie to your face, so he distracts you from his henchmen stabbing you in the back.

My department manager, clueless control freak. Cannot delegate responsibility due to abject fear and paranoia that a mistake may occur, hence works 15 hour days and won't leave anyone to get on with anything. FFS, if your staff can't do the job in hand, YOU have either neglected training needs, or hired the wrong staff. Either way, it's YOUR fault, and that's why you've got conjunctivitis and a peptic ulser.

Shift managers, nothing more than greedy bullies. No interest in the companies wellbeing and certainly not interested in any individuals circumstances. They just want to exert their meagre authority to the extreme and feel smug about it. Sod production, what IS health & safety, and why should we train you when we can look clever and make you feel inadequate when you either can't do something or **** up.

The department I work in is a total mess on every level. H&S could cease production immediately, the whole staff require training on many levels and the whole place stumbles along in a state of confused panic. The only good thing is, they pay well, so we all just lump it. There is no-one above who'd listen, as the higher you go, the more arrogant they seem to get so we all just take the money and run.

This is a multi-national, billion £ printing group with multiple sites across the UK and into Europe. I'd much prefer to work for a small company, but with big company wages
**** me i didnt know we worked for the same company!!!!!!

hmmm lot of what you say rings true!!!

Mart
Old 11 November 2004, 09:47 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mart360
Dont take this the wrong way, but i know where there coming from,

i worked with a guy, and he buried his grandad 3 times in 5 years!!!

where do you draw the line??

M
Come off it. how often does that happen? the vast majority of people have 2 grandads and they get buried once. at the end of the day she hardly has any days off ill, if she does its cause they send her home, if she has more than 3 days off ill within 6 months she gets too see some person who thinks shes a shrink or something questioning her, making sure everything is OK at home etc... chekky bassa's
Old 11 November 2004, 09:52 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Come off it. how often does that happen? the vast majority of people have 2 grandads and they get buried once. at the end of the day she hardly has any days off ill, if she does its cause they send her home, if she has more than 3 days off ill within 6 months she gets too see some person who thinks shes a shrink or something questioning her, making sure everything is OK at home etc... chekky bassa's
Dave, trust me.. ive been at a company, that wanted to see a copy of the death certificate before they would give some one time off!!!!

I agree its a pisser,, but some people use it as a easy way for a day off
Old 11 November 2004, 10:02 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

yeah but considering my mum and my sister both work there too and both had the same day off I think stories matched up