Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Have we got food poisoning???

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2004, 12:26 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have we got food poisoning???

Apologies for the contents of this thread, if your eating don't read it!

Me and the missus had a quick oven cooked tea last night - Chicken lattice with oven chips and a few baked beans, all branded products but don't want to slander their names or whatever by mentioning names.
Anyway, that was around 7.30pm. By 11pm Suzy started with stomach pains the the squits then throwing up, and was up all night. I awoke around 3.30 am with a dodgy tummy too, and within a few mins I too was shouting "HEEEWWWWWY" down the loo. Ever since I've had things coming out of both ends, ache all over, head spinning and we both feel totally b0110xed.

Could this be food poisining? Suzy only had 3/4 of her chicken lattice so being the pig I finished her's off. We're thinking it could have been her chicken that was dodgy?
Everything was cooked properly, in fact the chicken was so hot inside we both burnt our mouths on it!

Is it worth contacting the doctors or try and live through it? I am just now able to keep a sip of lukewarm water down, well, just long enough for it to come out of door No2 a different colour

Bob & Suzy
Old 12 October 2004, 12:29 PM
ChrisB

Sounds like it - http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/en.asp?TopicID=575

The most common symptoms are sickness (vomiting), abdominal pain and diarrhoea due to inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract (stomach and intestine). However some types of food poisoning may cause fever, blood in the stools (bowel motions), muscle weakness or, in very rare cases, paralysis.

Incubation periods vary; some types of food poisoning produce symptoms and illness within a few hours, most take 12-48 hours to develop and come on suddenly.
Old 12 October 2004, 12:30 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Me and Mrs REV are both off work today. All day yesterday I felt like I had a hangover, went to bed at 8pm (watching TV but dozing) then started hurling around midnight and was hot and cold and shivery with stomach cramps. About 5am, MrsREV decided to join in, but with worse stomach pain, not good seeing as she's pregnant. As a precauation, I took her to the docs this morning.

We walked in, he took one look at us and said "hot and cold, throwing up all night?".

Apparently it's a bug that is mega-contagious but disappears within 48 hours.

I should point out that ours can't be food poisoning as we haven't eaten the same thing for a couple of days.
Old 12 October 2004, 12:35 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sounds like food poisoning to me.

Drink plenty of fluids, not T and Coffee, or fruit juice, and no food for the day.

When I've had FP in the past, never bothered with the Doctor, although if you start felling worse or are still suffering tomorrow, you should go and get checked out.

You could try having the food analysed, if you have any reminants of the meal left over. Call your local Council for details.

Dan
Old 12 October 2004, 12:44 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

It couldn't have happened at a worse time for us. We've both lost a days work and I've l'm self employed with a guy's kitchen half finished, which I'd promised would be completed today or before noon tomorrow at the latest. We're off to Tenerife first thing Friday so I'm thinking the guy aint going to be happy as I don't rekon I'll be 100% by tomorrow so not working as fast.

The only remains are the bits that stuck to the baking tray and plates as dishwasher didnt get turned on last night.

I hope Mr feathered creatures sight organs is happy at costing me a few hundred quid plus the pain & suffering
Old 12 October 2004, 02:39 PM
scoobyangel
Scooby Regular

my son was sent home from nursery last thursday after vomiting over a little girl he was sat next too.... by friday i was poorly sick too, neither of us great now, but it aint food poisoning, just a bug apparently, makes you feel like you have had your kidneys ripped out, bashed about a ****ty stable with a baseball bat then rammed back in via your splean......

other than that this a really healthy household!!!
Old 12 October 2004, 02:58 PM
muppet paster
Scooby Regular

Oh joy, i've just come home from work feeling exactly like this.....

D'oh!
Old 12 October 2004, 05:12 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Bob,

It does sound more like this bug than food poisoning. 3 hours is a short time for it to come on, and if it was cooked piping hot through then that would leave a slim chance of bad preperation, left out to cool too long etc, and in the brand you saying it's come from that is a very slim chance! The Captian runs a military style operation!

And remember even if it is food poisoning it doesn't have to come from the chicken, it could have come from any one of a multitude of sources- not washing hands etc etc!

Anyway, stay clear of some of the cheap & cheerfull food outlets in Tenerife or you'll definitely be getting food poisoning

Matt
Old 12 October 2004, 06:56 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Well I aint thrown up since 5 past 2 this afternoon and I can now keep a small amount of water inside me.

Taken from the NHS website (thanks for the link Chris):

Incubation periods vary; some types of food poisoning produce symptoms and illness within a few hours, most take 12-48 hours to develop and come on suddenly.

Our symptons came on suddenly, no aches or anything else until it all kicked off. But a bug picked up from work etc would come on gradually before the full effects take over, apparently, which is more like what N'REV described.

Just hope its cleared up by Friday for Tenerife - and I'll be extra carefull where / what I eat !

Last edited by 4X4BOB; 12 October 2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12 October 2004, 07:09 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Mrs 360 had stomach pains last saturday shortly after eating chicken..

next day hurling...

day after ok..

me violent headache on the monday felt faint and sick...

went home and slept for 8 hrs solid...

nect day ok...

mr youngest had it to.. hurls and all

mart
Old 12 October 2004, 07:16 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

Just to cheer you up.......

I had Salmonella poisoning and had the symptoms you described but it lasted for over a week...I won't go into graphic detail but I lost 2 1/2 stone in a fortnight and felt so ill I couldn't even watch TV whilst lying in bed. I could do with losing 2 1/2 stone now but that is definitely not the way to do it

Environmental health drop off sample bottles once it's diagnosed and let you know when you are clear.

I have never felt as ill for so long in my life
Old 12 October 2004, 07:17 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

I seem to remeber there is a bug called Winter Vomiting Disease or something.....
Old 12 October 2004, 07:33 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough, I found the tablets the doctor gave me last time I had the same symptoms and the date on the packet is 20 October 2003. Who'd have thunk it would strike again in 12 months time?
Old 12 October 2004, 07:42 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I had something very similar last thursday night. It came on at about 9pm and then it was projectile evacuation from both ends every 20 minutes or so until the next morning. I went into work but came home again as i couldn't even keep a glass of water down, had really bad muscle pains all day friday and all day saturday. Managed to keep water down by midday friday and then small amounts of food not long after that. Didn't get my appetite back till sunday though.

Not fun, and the $hite on TV during the daytime just added to the misery!