NIP :(

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2004, 08:21 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NIP :(

Hi peeps,

Just got the thing through the mail from the police. Shouldnt they be catching real criminals ho hum !

What im after is not how to avoid it but how to make a complete PITA for the police. The first thing im thinking about is a big sign first off for the camera entitled "Pigs should be catching criminals".
Old 26 August 2004, 08:32 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

http://www.security.org/search/Video...fm?RecNum=2622

Old 26 August 2004, 08:33 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Stueyb
Hi peeps,

Just got the thing through the mail from the police. Shouldnt they be catching real criminals ho hum !

What im after is not how to avoid it but how to make a complete PITA for the police. The first thing im thinking about is a big sign first off for the camera entitled "Pigs should be catching criminals".
Best course of action really depends on the serverity of offence, what speed in what limit is it and what's the surroundings like where the camera is situated (dual / national / outside a school etc!)

Matt
Old 26 August 2004, 08:33 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I hope you've got a flame proof suit on.

This whole "The Police should be catching real criminals" line is getting a bit tedious.

Anyway, try Speedtraps UK
Old 26 August 2004, 08:49 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

This whole "The Police should be catching real criminals" line is getting a bit tedious.
Not half as tedious as 'speed kills', though
Old 26 August 2004, 10:22 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

well it was basically 38 in a 30, in a non built up area, one of the longest straightest roads round here and there was no actual speed camara sign or speed limit sign on the road, as well as it being perfect driving conditions.
Old 26 August 2004, 10:23 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Tedious - but true. I'm with Andy on this.

Have a look at Pepipoo for some decent advice. SafeSpeed is also worth a read.

Chris
Old 26 August 2004, 10:29 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Ok, getting constructive mode on now. What should I say when asking to see all the evidence before submitting a plea.? Ie the calibration certificate, manufacturers handbook, statement of police officer etc (almost typed something else there)
Old 26 August 2004, 10:52 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

You can write to the ticket office (details on the NIP) and request the following:

Photographic evidence
Calibration Certificate
Officer's statement (if it was a manned mobile unit)

You'll probably get the photos. As the law currently stands they are not obliged to provide any of the info prior to a court hearing (pretty poor when you consider it though - it means the police are entitled to send you a demand for money without actually having to present any evidence - great country we live in isn't it?)

You can battle this out for a number of months - whether it gets you anywhere depends on how forceful you want to be. I would really recommend reading the forums on Pepipoo - there is loads of good advice and sample letters you can send.

Chris

Last edited by Chris L; 26 August 2004 at 10:58 PM.
Old 27 August 2004, 12:13 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

In the first instance the unsigned forms trick doesn't work anymore so forget it.

Secondly you have 28 days to return the NIP. Remember delay is in your favour as points date from the offence but don't go on your licence until you are "convicted."

Go over to pepipoo and take a look at his stock letter to the Chief Constable indicating that the NIP is illegal under EU law. The letter is here:

http://www.pepipoo.com/NewForums2/viewtopic.php?t=1968

There is no reason at all why you can't send this to the CC issuing the NIP. There is nothing illegal or dodgy about asking a simple question or making a simple point. With this in mind I would get this letter in the post ASAP and would perhaps ask that the CC responds in time for you to return the NIP.

As there is no risk with this route, you can't be prosecuted for writing a letter to the CC it is the ideal way to go. Also this also strengthens your case for the proposed class action to be taken against the police for prosecuting people using a form they knoew to be illegal. So, keep proof of posting etc etc. That way even if you are finally nailed you can claim it back once the EU case is resolved. EU legal experts are of the view that the EU has already ruled on the matter of the NIP and that it is illegal because it infringes your right to silence and to not incriminate yourself.

Good luck with the fight.