Sponsored by:

Vehicles blocking pedestrian crossings

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2001, 02:44 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Nipped out of the office at lunchtime, which entailed crossing a busy 4 lane road at a pelican crossing. When the green man comes on, there is a large lorry blocking the whole crossing. Apart from the fact this is illegal and dangerous, it is bloody annoying. When I pointed out to the guy the error of his ways, he had the gall to have a go at me! I've had an HGV licence since 1995 and I've never blocked a crossing with a lorry (or with a car for that matter). If I could be bothered, I'd report the guy. Anyway, I feel better for getting that off my chest.
Old 17 October 2001, 02:52 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bloody annoying that is. On my way into work this morning I was backed up in traffic at a roundabout. Behind me some large lorry thing. As I get to the roundabout, the car in front moves forward enough for me to join in behind him, but leave enough of a gap behind me so cars can actually get off the roundabout, only to have it completely filled by this lorry.

Then there seems to be the new craze of driving around with fog lights on. Everyone does it, from mummy doing the school run in her car that's way too big for her (and causes dings in the side of mine), to the **** in the yellow M3 having an argument with his girlfriend in Broxbourne last night. Am sick of being dazzled ... time to get some 400W driving lights and see how the fsck they like being dazzled with those.

THEN there's the nutters that scream past my house at 80-100mph, it's a one-car-width country lane and a double blind corner, no lighting. Two people have died there already.

I think people are just plain stupid.

Steve.
Old 17 October 2001, 02:55 PM
Ratman
Scooby Regular

Angry

While we're in Rant Mode, then...

I can't believe the (numerous) "drivers" who park locally to me on a double-yellow, on a cycle lane! What do they expect the cyclists to do - ride over the top of them?

Ratman
MY98 Wagon
Old 17 October 2001, 03:04 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Ratman - best solution is to squeeze throught he spce between the car and the kerb
Old 17 October 2001, 03:23 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

get most scrapes on it that way
Old 17 October 2001, 03:31 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Angry

My current pet-hate is people parking on the zig-zag lines either side of pedestrian crossings. I thought they used to be sacrosanct (sp?) but now I see people parked there the whole time, from the Royal Mail (sorry, Consignia) bloke that can't be ar$ed to find a better place to stop while he's emptying a postbox in Sunningdale, to the dozy tart that thinks its okay to dump her beemer while she gets some **** from the off-licence in Ascot. Oh, I forgot, they think that by leaving the hazards on, then its okay. That's right, your car is parked in a hazardous, nay dangerous, place and by putting your hazard lights on, you have merely acknowledged that fact!
Or else they use the other method where there's a nice wide pavement, and park on that! Not on the zig-zag line, but completely obscuring my view of anybody about to enter the crossing!
Had a mate and three of his colleagues knocked down on a crossing last week, so just making a stand against stupidity.
Rant over.
Old 17 October 2001, 03:55 PM
Ratman
Scooby Regular

fast bloke

Never post one post when two will do! LOL

Ratman,
MY98 Wagon
Old 17 October 2001, 04:04 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Angry

Pet hates.

Foglights when its not foggy (see other thread)
Turning left at a roundabout from the right lane (Yes they really do it in Swindon)
Turning right at a roundabout from the left lane (Yes again!!)
Bus Stops on roundabouts(Yes, Swindon again)
Bus Stops opposite traffic calming island thingys, thus holding up traffic from both directions(Swindon again)
Braking THEN signalling

Rant mode off
Old 17 October 2001, 04:27 PM
Ratman
Scooby Regular

MattW

Those Swindon town planners are on a different planet aren't they? Replacing roundabouts with traffic lights, painting out vast sections of usable road with hazard lines, etc. Glad I don't live there!

What happens when someone turning left from the right-hand lane meets someone turning right from the left hand lane? That's what I'm waiting to see!!

Enjoy your shopping,
Ratman
MY98 Wagon
Old 17 October 2001, 04:29 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Mmmm, reminds me of a time a few days ago. There's a mini roundabout where there used to be a t-junction. I'm approacing the top of the T (if you know what I mean) intedning to turn right. About 30 yards down the road on the right is a pelican crossing (what a pelican was doing crossing the road I've no idea ). Anyway, just turned right onto the road when some dozzy old man swings across the road from the opposite side and parks right in front of me, in the wrong direction, across the zig-zags, 10 yards from the exit to a mini roundabout!!! . With oncomming traffic I had nowhere to go so had to wait for a gap before I could get by. A scream from the wife and gesticulation (sp) from me and he gives me the "what have I done?" look. Usless....

Old 17 October 2001, 04:43 PM
greeny
Scooby Regular

1 - I pass 2 primary schools on way to work (8:45am). Each having yellow keep clear Zig-Zags outside the gates. So kids can see the traffic comming presumably. So what happens, Mr and Mrs Parent use this space as a convenient drop off point for their kids, hence restricting visibilty at exactly the time its needed most.

2 - The village I live in now has so much traffic calming that it just consists of stationary traffic bellowing out smoke etc whilst trying to work out the best way through the obstacle course.

Rant over.
Old 17 October 2001, 04:47 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Parking on the zig-zag line is an endorsable offence. Three points and a forty pound fine. As is parking within 15 feet of a junction.
Old 17 October 2001, 04:56 PM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

Rant=ON

Why is it that they put so many zebras straight outside banks? It seems every d1ck with a car & a cash card (especially the ones in large vans/trucks) thinks zig-zags & black & white stripes indicate an official cash-point parking spot.

I've lost count of the number of near misses playing "Yorkshire Bank Roulette" at my local crossing.

Dean

Rant=OFF

Old 17 October 2001, 04:57 PM
Nate-old
Scooby Regular

My pet hates are
1. yellow box sections on roundabouts , where everyone parks across them (causing untold congestion) for the fact that they are not letting anyone in-front of them !!!

2. People who park across roads , when they are held up in traffic (but can't go anywhere , anyway) this causes more congestion , again = longer journeys!!!

Nate.
Old 17 October 2001, 05:05 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mungo and Steve,

If a pedestrian gets knocked down on a pedestrian crossing and the driver complains that they didn't see them due to the parked cars on the zig zags, the drivers of those parkeded cars may be prosecuted.

A read about a case where a pedestrian was killed and a driver who had parked on the zip-zags got sentenced for manslaughter....

Matt
Old 17 October 2001, 05:27 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Why is it that they put so many zebras straight outside banks? It seems every d1ck with a car & a cash card (especially the ones in large vans/trucks) thinks zig-zags & black & white stripes indicate an official cash-point parking spot.

I've lost count of the number of near misses playing "Yorkshire Bank Roulette" at my local crossing.
That's what the old man who stopped in front of me was doing!!

I've also seen a taxi stop outside the same bank on the zig-zags while his fair gets his money out. A copper pulled up along side him and gave him a right rollocking. . Made my day!
Old 17 October 2001, 06:24 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(rant on)
[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
(rant off)

I feel so much better now!

p.s. ALL OF THE ABOVE