Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ROBBED!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2004, 11:31 AM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ROBBED!!

HELLO I NEED SOME SERIOUS HELP AS MY MATE HAS GONE AND BOUGHT HIMSELF A iMPREZA IMPORT FROM A GUY WHO HAD NO LOG BOOK( I KNOW FCUKIN ****) AND HE SENT IT OFF ABOUT 5 WEEKS AGO AND HEARD NOTHING.....TILL THE COPS CAME ROUND THIS MORNING WANTING TO HAVE A LOOK AT THE CAR AS A REQUEST FROM THE DVLA!!!!

HE HAS BEEN TOLD THE CAR IS A RINGER AND THEY HAVE TOWED THE CAR AWAY LEAVING HIM WITH £5K DENT IN HIS POCKET AND NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT!!!...HE HAS A HPI CHECK WHICH HE HAS AND A RECI FOR THE CAR. ALSO THE GUYS ADDRESS...

TIME FOR THE QUESTIONS:

1) WHAT ARE HIS CHANCES OF GETTING THE MONEY BACK FROM THIS GUY IF HE TAKES HIM TO COURT?

2) POLICE SAID POSSIBILITY OF MY MATE BEING PROSECUATED FOR THIS, EVEN THOUGH HE HAS RECI, BANK PAYMENT CONFERMATION AND HPI CHECK DETAILS?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT AS ITS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE SEEN THE GUY CAR AND AM FEELIN VERY SAD TOO
Old 21 August 2004, 11:32 AM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Unhappy ROBBED

....SORRY HE SENT THE DUPLICATE LOG BOK FORM!!
Old 21 August 2004, 12:43 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Unhappy robbed

bttt
Old 21 August 2004, 01:03 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Your mate needs to get a solicitor or at the very least have words with the Citizens Advice Bureau.

I think it unlikely if the seller knew it was dodgy that he would have given his address but I suppose it is possible. I also suspect that some of the people who do HPI checks offer some sort of insurance i.e. if it's dodgy and they said it wasn't then they will give you something back.

The government estimate that there are about 130,000 cloned cars driving about at any one time never mind the various other scams but the fact that your mate did an HPI check shows that he wasn't totally stupid. I assume he did do the HPI check and didn't just accept a bit of paper which the seller told him was an HPI check?

Hope it works out for him but get him some real legal advice first thing Monday. My guess, and it's worth what you paid for it, is that he has shown due diligence in trying to establish that the car wasn't stolen and so it is unlikely that he will be done for receiving stolen goods. This assumes that he got the HPI done himself etc. The receiving stolen goods charge is probably a more serious matter than him not getting his cash back to be honest. Another good example of the law protecting the innocent citizen.
Old 21 August 2004, 01:17 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

When I carried out HPI on the first scoob I bought was told that I was covered up to about £15K insurance wise if it was a dud.

I'd start by making contact with the HPI Co.

Chris
Old 21 August 2004, 02:22 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Unhappy robbed

Hello yes he did teh hpi check himself and he checked all the numbers matced...but i cant beleive a man with his know has bought a car with no log book???? i mean i knew he bought the car but no log book!!!!!

So he needs to contact the hpi company and also any ideas about him getting his money back .....we are thinking about paying this guy a visit, but dont want to end up locked up tonight!!!
Old 21 August 2004, 04:08 PM
Silver Knight
Scooby Regular

There won't be any redress with Hpi as all they did was check the numbers that you gave them and that car is ok.
The car he had would have a different reg no to what was on the car and that one would show up as stolen.

Tony
Old 21 August 2004, 04:12 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Taking the law into your own hands in respect of this incident is likely to be most unwise for a number of reasons.

In the first instance it is possible that the address your mate has for this bloke is incorrect, if he was selling a dodgy car he is unlikely to put his address about. Go round there, approach the wrong person, get a criminal record and a stay in jail. That would make buying a dodgy car seem like a minor thing.

Secondly it is possible that the bloke who sold the car didn't know it was dodgy, hence why he provided his address, and that he is now in the same position as your mate with the police investigating him for receiving, or similar. After all your mate did an HPI check and it didn't turn anything up, perhaps the previous owner did the same thing. Your mate might need him as a witness in court if he is to stay out of jail so "paying him a visit" would be most unwise.

Thirdly you have to consider that a fair proportion of car crime, and there does seem to be a distinct possibility that this might be what is going on here, is tied up with other organised crime. You and your mate might consider yourselves hard men and good luck to you but you may care to test walking around your bedroom without your knee caps a few times, just to get the idea of the potential outcome. Try drilling into each others knees with a Black and Decker hammer drill just to really get into the swing of it.

Your ideal outcome is that your mate gets his money back and that he doesn't get "done" for a crime in which he unwittingly became involved. It would also be ideal if he never sees the person who sold him the car again. I know in the heat of the moment that seems a bit of a cop out but the law and the police have no interest in protecting you but as a generally law abiding citizen with an investment in society you are a sitting duck for them if you put a foot out of line.

Your mate would also be wise to have no further words or dealings with the police until he talks to a solicitor. If he treats the police like they are a bunch of lying gits out to stitch him up he will not be disappointed, I'm not saying that they are but just that is the way he should treat them in the mean time.
Old 21 August 2004, 04:33 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Angry robbed

I live in Alum rock and drilling a mans knee caps is a minor here.....my mate is waiting to see a solicitor monday.

Were paying the bloke a litle visit as the cops are blamin my mate for being stupid and basically takin the ****........we no one see's is the poor ****** working for months to raise the cash to buy the damn thing

ohhhhhhhhhhh...i do hope they have drills ready as we will have the advantage
Old 21 August 2004, 06:38 PM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

hi mate id advise you to take the sensible law route first see what that comes up with get your mate off first. then later go and pay him a visit
Old 21 August 2004, 09:11 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

to pay the guy a visit goes without saying whatever else you do (if you 110% sure the seller knew).

If only to thank him for such a wonderful car

Bob
Old 24 August 2004, 11:51 AM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Unhappy robbed....update

Hello it seems the car is now with the Insurance company and the cops have said they will not charge my mate as they beleive he has bought the car under full faith of it being lagit.

Problem now is is that the guy he bought it from has said he had no idea of it being stolen and when we went to the mans house he was standing at the door gob smacked with his kiddies...which leaves em to beleive he had no idea of it being a ringer.

Anyway my question to any lawer/solicitor is...... is this man going to HAVE to give my mate his money back or does he have a leg to stand on??? I must say from the condition of the house, it looks like he will not have £5k sat about available to give back...and he has said he has already spent the 5k to clear some debts he had ?????
Old 24 August 2004, 12:56 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

bttt
Old 24 August 2004, 01:54 PM
tucker101uk
Scooby Regular

sorry to interupt but wtf is bttt?
Old 24 August 2004, 02:00 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

back to the top?
Old 24 August 2004, 02:03 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Speak to trading standards about it. From my limited knowledge it's your mate that will lose out, not the guy who sold it to him. How come the guy who sold it didn't have a log book? Did he tell you where he bought it from?
Old 24 August 2004, 02:50 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Unhappy robbed....update

The guy claimed he was not given the log book by the guy who sold it to him!! so the bottem line is that if you buy a car and sell it to someone and later you find the car is a naff..then you fcuked????? What if my mates contacts a solicitor as the car was the not the property of the guy selling it????
Old 24 August 2004, 03:00 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Try Trading Standards and Citizens Advice before a solicitor as it may get very expensive and get nowhere.
You might be able to get the guy as he was trading the vehicle rather than selling as a private individual but he may deny all knowledge of selling it and even if it all ends up in court he may never pay whatever your mate gets awarded.
But like I said, my knowledge is limited.
Old 24 August 2004, 03:02 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

In a word: Yes

Caveat emptor - 'Let the buyer beware'

Have a read of this sectionfrom the CAB website. Speak to them first and do it quick!

Chris

Last edited by Chris L; 24 August 2004 at 03:04 PM.
Old 24 August 2004, 03:02 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up robbed....update

Not as limited a mine mate..thanks

So if he says he never even sold my mate the car then?????
Old 24 August 2004, 03:05 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

So if he says he never even sold my mate the car then?????
Then don't send him a Christmas card this year!
Old 24 August 2004, 03:07 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Unhappy robbed....update

I cant seem to log in to that site chris.......as i read all this info my stomach just turns.

Im getting to the point where im just going to be paranoid for the rest of my life
Old 24 August 2004, 03:10 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Unhappy robbed....update

I dont beleive this........i mean there is no defence in place for victims like my friend who worked over a year to save that dosh

Im very upset and gutted for him!!
Old 24 August 2004, 03:11 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Unhappy robbed....update

Sorry to keep at you guys/girls like this but if he honestly says he has never seen my mate before??? i mean can this happen????
Old 24 August 2004, 03:39 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Unless you mate has some evidence to the contrary, it is one word against the other. It will depend how much the Police are prepared to do about it such as asking neighbours if they had seen the car about, checking the cars for the guys prints and so on.
Old 24 August 2004, 09:52 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

An Hpi does indemnify the buyer against incorrect information.

What company did the HPi?
Old 24 August 2004, 09:59 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

odd that the previous guy didn't have a vehicle reg document, even if the guy he bought it off didn't give it to him (alarm bells!) then he would still need to have got one to tax the car etc. Maybe he didn't have the car too long?

I dont beleive this........i mean there is no defence in place for victims like my friend who worked over a year to save that dosh
A couple of years back there were a lot of stolen cars coming into UK (from Japan via Middle East etc.). Cops were stopping people in their new Jap cars and confiscating them.

It was usually the buyer's hard luck and they would end up out of pocket.

Last edited by juan; 24 August 2004 at 10:02 PM.
Old 25 August 2004, 08:27 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up robbed....update

The hpi was with hpi.com who are ok company, it seems we are going via the solicitor to see what happens and hopefull he will not denie that he has ever seen my mate...otherwise we will have to go via mty channels

Is there any one on here who has knowledge about the law and what will happen if he says to us..."sorry mate ive never seen the car before..or you"???
Old 25 August 2004, 08:56 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

HPi should carry a guarantee that its not nicked/been rung, up to 10k I believe! Check it out
Old 25 August 2004, 11:10 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

As I mentioned in my earlier post you need to be nice to the person you bought the car from as he might be the only thing that keeps your mate out of jail.

His position is something your mate needs to discuss with his solicitor. If he didn't own the car in the first place but can prove that he also bought it in good faith then the situation could get very complex. If he knows he didn't own it then it could become a criminal matter. He may also have friends who will testify to a range of scenarios which might go badly against your mate. With all this in mind SN is not the place to look for advice, in truth you may find that your mate's solicitor may have to seek advice on all the complexities of this matter. Your mate will probably have to make it clear what his priorities are in the matter as there are several courses of action which may preclude him getting any of his cash back, but which could result in a criminal conviction of the seller for example.

Should the police need to become further involved, for example through any attempt on your part to pay the seller another visit, then this could end up going very badly for your mate even if it should result in charges against the seller.

Stay calm, talk to the solicitor and make it clear that your mate wants his cash back and wants nothing more to do with the situation. Nice clean resolution and costs him a few quid in solicitors fees for the lesson he has learned really would be the best outcome.