Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, Hardcore till I die part2 24/07/04

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2004, 08:33 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rave review, Hardcore till I die part2 24/07/04

One of the most talked about events of the year, the first HTID took place up at Air in Birmingham. The main reason everyone seemed to be talking about it was the fact that a Hardcore event had rammed out a 2000 capacity club on its opening promotion. A few years ago, the above statement would have been met with laughter, shortly followed by the phrase "If only". If nothing else it made me sit up and take notice, even if I couldnt be there due to drift commitments the next day.
Luckily enough, the promoters saw fit to build on their initial success by staging another event in the same location. Some kind of miracle had been worked as not only had the club been booked the same as before, but the carpark had not only been used to stage an outdoor arena, but it had also been approved by the council! Till 5am as well! On the strength of that alone, I had to be there, but the best bit was that the outdoor stage was just one componant of the night, the rest of it was just as appealing. The lineup was looking VERY good, with the usual headliners taking centre stage, but surrounded by a solid lineup which consisted of unusual DJ/MC combinations, numerous breaking artists, original old skool dons of yesterdays sound and as well as that, the Jellybeanz crew providing the madness up in the carbon lounge. A must attend event? Well nothing is a MUST attend event, but it was damn close on this occasion.
Besides, it was my birthday and as such I was determined to enjoy myself. It was a nice concidence that I had such an exciting event to get another year older inside of. Unfortunately the people I was meant to be going with were dropping like flies. I didnt fancy going up on my own so I made arrangements to meet up with Spenno at Toddington services to convoy it up. All was going well till the Junction we were meant to leaving on the M6 hoved into view, blocked off and directing us to the next one on. After a lengthy diversion, a minor navigational miracle and a bit of swearing, the club made a welcome appearence. I parked in the carpark (best three quid I ever spent) and managed to snag one of the last places. After sorting out my energy drinks and negotiating the queue of people I was confronted by security. A fair but thorough pat down later by a friendly security laydee (I was even allowed to take a wrapped present in, how cool is that?) I was inside.
No messing about here, I was on a mission from the word go.
Straight outside to the open air stage and one of the people I had made the journey to see was on the decks. I have never seen Ratty play out before, but his music has always been very easy on my ear so I was hoping for a showcase of his tunes. I weren't dissapointed either. I'm not usually one for DnB at a hardcore rave, but Ratty's set was just too damn good to get pissed off with it. It took me back to the day when I was bang into my drum and bass and I was loving every minute of it. MC Lenni provided a minimalist vocal support to the tunes as Ratty tore the place apart. Sticking to the classics with no complaints from me,it was a perfect start to the evening. It dont get much better when you hear "Valley of the Shadows, "The Dark Destroyer", a nice remix of "Champion sound", "I bring you the future" and "This is a warning". Like I said, top start to the night.
One of the nice things about this night was the way the set times were printed on the flyer, this meant I could plan the evening well in advance. This also meant that the only place I was going to be next was in the "Nitrogen" arena, where DJ Uplift was playing. When I got there Uplift was well in control of proceedings and a full dancefloor was going for it in a compulsive manner. Probably something to do with the top tunes he was pumping out. Lots of Raw Elements (of which I am a particular fan), as well as tunes from other labels to keep the ravers on their toes. "This is how we do it" mingled with other tunes like "Midnight resistance". He also dropped a new tune which I was told is called "Nightflight". It got me dancing, thats for sure.
The only way to go after this was with some more upfront. Handily, Ham was up next in the very same arena and together with MC Wottsee on the mic, made sure that the first hour of my 28th year was preoccupied with dancing. The only time I left the second arena was to see something I knew was going to be special. The much touted "kick off" set was taking place and I had to see that. I honestly cant tell you who was on the decks during the kick off, but thats because my attention was arrested by what was going on onstage. As well as Whizzkid and Storm there were several boilersuited stage technicians. With buckets of polstyrene bean bag *****. These were being tipped into guns which were blasting them out into the ravers in the main arena. Not sure if it was the kick off tune or not,but "Heartbeatz" was playing when I observed all this madness. It was nothing if not inventive, i'll give the promoters that.
Upon re-entering the second room, it was clear to me that Hammy was letting the music do the talking. Wottsee was on top form for this one as well and for the record, he just keeps getting better every time I see him. The best part of the set was towards the end where Ham moved into a glut of new Next Generation/ Blatent Beats tunes. One after the other they came out with "Hold the Rush", "In your life", "Silver Dawn", "On Fire" and "Be Happy" all getting a well deserved airing. I had to miss the kick off set to see him, but Ham made it all worth it.
The next few hours were spent on a wandering mission, taking in the entire rave. There was simply too much on, so I flitted from room to room, catching edited highlights of everything. From Sharkey and Kevin Energy's classic Freeform set ("Bodyslam" and "Sound asassin" in the place) to seeing the end of what looked like a very successful happy Hardcore set by Dougal outside with a packed carpark getting down to "Field of dreams", I could have wandered all night, but I realised I had to stick with one arena for a bit and stop my flit-a-thon.
Shortly afterwards, I walked into the Nitrogen arena and saw that Druid and Sharkey were in the area. Decision made I think! I was in there like a shot for this classic pair off and was dancing away as the two performers did what they do best. Druid played the best old skool known to man with tunes like "You had it all", "Like a Dream" "I'm all out of love" and best of all "Now is the time" while Sharkz jumped around on stage with a big grin on his face, doing his job and having a nice time while he was there. I never tire of seeing these two play out and it werent about to happen on this occasion either. I was having a great time all the way through. Dancing was easy, leaving the dancefloor to get water was not so easy. Even if it was only to go to the bar where the staff were happy to refill your bottle for you.
It was time for me to make another trip to the main arena. I was not about to miss CLSM and MC Rude, but even though the set started out well, a cruel twist of fate saw me walking past the open doorway to the outdoor stage. Where Ramos and Supreme were playing. I wanted to see both so bad, but I remembered that I would be seeing CLSM at Elation in 6 days time, so I made my way outdoors for another guaranteed smile-a-thon from the RSR crew.
These people have really come into their own recently. A good addition to any old skool lineup, their tunes form the basis of thier sets and it is all the better for it. The south coast maestro MC Marley joined them on the mic and together we all went on an old skool Hardcore odyssey. A happy party crew on the dancefloor had to contend with an overstimulated astraboy bouncing round near the speakers and a fire poi and anglegrinder on sheet steel spark display as the set progressed. Rain also made an unwelcome appearance, but even though the ravers were damp, the atmosphere was to good for anyone to care. Ramos and Supreme took care of that with tunes like "Incognito", "Ready to Roll" and "The sun always shines on TV". I was rushing like mad when he dropped "Toytown", HTID broke my cherry for listening to Toytown at an open air stage .Finally, their set was brought to an end with "Broken wings". Top set, danced all the way through.
A hasty trip to the Nitrogen arena saw another upfront set for me with In Effect taking the 4-5 set up there. The last set I saw from him was marred by a sound system set on "mouse fart",but on this occasion there were no problems. Helping matters was MC Odyssey on the mic, another MC who was in the zone that night, the two of them made for an entertaining hour in the second arena. In Effect made several genre hops throughout his hour going from gabba, to upfront hardcore and back again. I werent complaining, it was just what I needed at that time of the night. He gave us a welcome appearence of the Scott Brown remix of "Torn" (The nice one without the vocals too) as well as dropping "I can feel it", "You're shining" and best of all, letting rip "Boomstick" towards the end of his set. In the end I had to leave before he finished as it was clear he werent finishing" It was 5.05 and I was determined to catch the last set of the night. Downstairs in the main arena.
The rest of the party people had the same idea and together the remaining ravers packed out the main arena at Air for the final set of the night. Hixxy b2b with Sy and Storm b2b with Whizzkid.
No subtle wording or fancy comparisons here. All four of these guys were amazing. Easily the best set of the night. I was exhausted by the time they had finished with me and although I was flagging, the rest of the rave was clearly able to go on forever with absolutely no-one leaving early to avoid the rush. Tune wise it is as good as it always is when Sy is near the decks. "Discoland" Remix, "Eyeopener", "Set you Free" and "Raveheart" were all present and correct and just as rush worthy as they always are. However, Hixxy's influences were present too, with "Ready to go", "It doesnt have to be like that", "Keep on trying" and "Kick it" all making welcome appearences. Whizzkid and Storm were going for it throughout and despite a few mic problems earlier in the evening, they were both as good as they usually are with their crowdpleasing lyrics going full tilt throughout the set. Finally the last tune of the night was upon us. For some reason it totally escapes me, but I deffo remember raising an eyebrow at the appearence of the theme from 2001 getting dropped. Still I werent complaining. It had been a top night and I was morethan ready to make the two hour journey home after the flyer massive had dealt with me.

Things I liked:

The outdoor stage - I dont know what the promoters did to get an licenced outdoor stage in the middle of birmingham till 5am, but it was worth it. I had some great times out there during the night with the occasional spot of rain doing nothing to dampen the vibe. the only improvement I can suggest is maybe to have the upfront Hardcore arena out there next time. How good would that be!?!?!?!

The lineup - VERY well thought out lineup with the big names mixing it up with the breaking talent throughout the night. I frequently had to make hard decisions about what to see next and more than once made unplanned stops in arenas I happened to be walking through. Always the sign of a good night on a musical tip when that happens.

Security - They were there, but they were keeping themselves to themselves and not acting the big man. Similarly, the security watching the motors in the carpark were on the case all night.

Attendence - Deffo enough people in there. Again. Its always nice when that happens.

Atmosphere - Amazing, doesnt even come close. Everyone was up for a party and the idea of shutting down every other arena to cram the whole rave into the main arena for the final hour was inspired. The last set was deffo something special.

Things I liked less.

Bog roll - The entire venue ran out IIRC and I had to use serviettes from the bar. mmm, posh black bog roll.

Bar prices - I was damn lucky I werent drinking that night, thats all I'm gonna say on the matter.

Fallout from the kick off set - those polystyrene ***** were bloody lethal on the dancefloor. I could slide a good five feet on them when i went out there. Eventually they were crushed flat so it werent so bad but the amount of people whose first words on the dancefloor were "Woah!!! Jesus!", well it was more than a couple. I'm not knocking the idea, just unforseen circumstances is all. Job lot of silly string next time?

Free funfair - Not an bad thing, far from it. But as it was free I was having to come up with an elaborate array of bullsh1t excuses to stop my mates from dragging me on there!

I dont regret much from when I go raving, but on the back of this event I am starting to regret not going to the first one. A lot. If it was even half as good as this then that meant that I missed a top party. The whole night flew by and I was having a great time. Mixing the old skool with the upfront throughout the night left me smiling at memories and raving away to the Hardcore. Definitely the event to go to when it comes to spending your birthday at a rave, they say that you always enjoy it more cos its a special occasion, but I would have been hard pushed not to enjoy myself had it been just another weekend. If nothing else, I was seriously impressed with the attention to detail the promoters had taken for their night. The next one was being pre flyered on the way out. I am going. Whether I am drifting the next day or not.
astraboy.

Shouts to: Shouts to everybody who wished me a happy birthday. That just about covers the entire rave so I dont have to do anymore! Also, shouts to the promoters for the birfday present and also shouts to everyone who made the night what it was. Sorry its not more complete, but I've got a raveto go to.
Old 30 July 2004, 08:54 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Gotta say I love the rave reports, you should blog them!

Keep raving for us old people out there out can't/won't/don't
Old 30 July 2004, 08:59 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

good report

woohoo!! going to Global Gathering tomorrow
Old 30 July 2004, 09:01 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Quality review m8, i really miss the raves we used to have up here (though i used to go in underaged)

Hardcore i cant get enough of it
Old 30 July 2004, 11:28 PM
Gee WR1
Scooby Regular

Great report thread just caught my eye.
Good 2 here it's come back round again Used 2 go 2 a lot of big raves early 90's mostly Rezerection, Fantazia, odd Helter Skelter. Still got all the records tapes fun 2 dig out now & again Think i'm passed it now though

Have fun

Gee
Old 02 August 2004, 09:19 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys
Btw, what does "Blog them" mean?
astraboy.
Old 02 August 2004, 09:44 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blog = post crap on the intarweb like a form of diary for geeks to read/********** over.
Old 02 August 2004, 09:46 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astraboy
Bar prices - I was damn lucky I werent drinking that night, thats all I'm gonna say on the matter.
thought you claimed not to be a drug user?
Old 02 August 2004, 11:11 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Well, I am from a certain point of view. I dont do illegal drugs, just over the counter ones. Caffiene and sugar being the principle culprits, PEP caffiene tablets from Superdrug being the pick of the bunch.
astraboy.
P.S. I dint know thats what "Blogging" meant, I think I already do it though, does this count? http://www.ush.net/ravin/reviews.php