Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Just seen kid nearly get run over

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2004, 06:27 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just seen kid nearly get run over

Not that this is the first time, but it got me thinking. This happened 10 mins ago near where I live. I was walking to the shops and just as I was passing a works van (parket half on pavement) this guy was talking to someone he knew and his kid of about 4 years old drove his push bike off the pavement behind the parked van right into the path of a clio. The clio driver wasnt speeding thankfully and I'd say missed the kid by two inches, he was as white as a sheet and could hardly speak. The father had shouted at the kid just as he pulled out onto the road, so I guess he was trying to keep an eye on him, or just lucky, but I think this caused the lad to swerve back, either that or he saw the car. Yet again I felt everything going into slow mo when I was watching, i didnt have time to react as it all happened in a second. My stomach is still churning.

Anyhow, to my point. As this was a near or possible fatal accident, why is no one duty bound to report this as you would be in the workplace? Was the parant at fault, was the car speeding, was the van parked illegally etc, that sort of thing.
Old 10 July 2004, 06:36 PM
Prince Popeye
BANNED

'As this was a near or possible fatal accident, why is no one duty bound to report this as you would be in the workplace?'

Report what exactly? Should the driver have rung the police and told them he nearly knocked over a kid but it didn't happen?? In the workplace you have an accident book and no accident occurred here.
Old 10 July 2004, 11:23 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Well... I did actually have a schoolgirl run into and bounce off my car one time... she ran out from behind a parked van and I have NO IDEA how I stopped, but just as I did she ran into the front nearside wing and bounced over the bonnet!

She didn't even stop. Just staggered a bit and carried on running! I'm sat there gob-smacked and the guy sat in traffic opposite looked just as stunned as me.

I DID phone the police to let them know and they thanked me for taking the time, but did indicate that as there were no APPARENT injures it didn't need to be reported, but it was a good idea to make sure.
Old 11 July 2004, 11:08 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

If you knew anything about RIDDOR Poopie you would know you have to report near misses, not just accidents. Muppet
Old 11 July 2004, 07:11 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
If you knew anything about RIDDOR Poopie you would know you have to report near misses, not just accidents. Muppet
I think if for no other reason other than to alert the police to the twot parked on the pavement?
Old 11 July 2004, 07:45 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Things like this make you wonder.

My dad works for a Residental development company (yeah, ok - builders ) who was building a small development of about 20 houses in cul-de-sac. The first 5 by the entrance to the road got built and sold first, with families moving in. Whilst the final lot were being built at the end of the road with the usual site acess restrictions. Thing is the road is in contant use by large delivery trucks, concrete trucks, JCBS, plant etc.

And the parents of at least two of the new houses let thier kids play out front in the street -UNSUPERVISED...by a building site...what was worse this was no slum, high class 4 bedroom detached houses with LARGE BACK GARDENS. The eldest (about 8 to 10) were taking care of the youngest (3 to 4).

Suffice to say there were numerous "close ones" two of the kids got thier bikes/toys run over as they left them in the road

Parents went ape at the drivers when they found out and the builder and contractor had loads of complaints to H&S. The parents seemed completely ignorant that the rear visibility of a reversing tipper or concret truck is next to none! And that playing next to a building site is not the ideal place for kids.

Words failed me when I saw it for myself!

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 July 2004 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11 July 2004, 11:12 PM
Prince Popeye
BANNED

If you knew anything about RIDDOR Poopie you would know you have to report near misses, not just accidents. Muppet'

And if you knew anythng about common sense, you'd just put it down as a near miss, Jye u bigger Muppet
Old 12 July 2004, 12:53 AM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

its worse when you see it actually happen.

i was outside a mates house chatting when a taxi turned the corner into our street just as a small boy ran off the pavement, he went up over the bonnet, rolled onto the windscreen then as the driver braked he rolled off and smashed his leg on the floor.

completely the kids fault but what can you do? the taxi driver took him and the mother to the hospital.
Old 12 July 2004, 11:02 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Two lessons here, pay more attention to what your child is doing, and teach children real road sense when thay are old enough to accept it.

Then start on grown up pedestrians!

Les
Old 12 July 2004, 11:11 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

nothing to report here, moving on......

i blame parents

BB
Old 12 July 2004, 12:24 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

And if you knew anythng about common sense, you'd just put it down as a near miss, Jye u bigger Muppet
Near miss = dangerous occurance, my main point remains, Prince (of muppets) Poopie
Old 12 July 2004, 01:51 PM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

i know what you mean,but who are you gonna report it too?

Depertment for silly idiots and Department for teaching road sense?? lol
Old 12 July 2004, 02:02 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Thing is, the parents and police would be crawling over the 'villan' car driver if it had been his fault, in fact even if it hadnt he'd still be put under the microscope. The least that could happen is the kids bike could be given a once over, checking the brakes etc, I mean who's to say it even had any. I know its never going to happen but yet again nothing is learned from someones kid 'nearly' getting splattered.

Wheres bloody Tufty when you need him