Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Internet Fraud on the News:opinions

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2004, 11:44 AM
Prince Popeye
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internet Fraud on the News:opinions

After seeing that daft man on the news telling us he'd been scammed out of 16 grand by an email claiming he'd won the lottery, i personally had no symapathy for him. Anyone sending their life savings on the whim of an email etc should reap what they sow.
Old 22 June 2004, 11:51 AM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

What a complete idiot. I cannot believe anybody falls for that type of scam. If you havent bought a ticket how can you have won ?

That guy just made himself look so sad and stupid - heaven knows why he was willing to embarrass himself on tv !!

p.s. we just got an email at work for this Netherlands lottery scam telling us we have won 400,000 euros !!!!!!! But the english is so bad...it's so obviously dodgy.

Last edited by dtriggs; 22 June 2004 at 11:55 AM.
Old 22 June 2004, 12:09 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

The news reporter and authorities he interviewed claimed the scams were highly sophisticated. They are not one bit sophisticated. They get away with it because the police don't do anything about it.
Old 22 June 2004, 12:11 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I know all about Internet scams. You seen my thread about the idiot who wants to buy my wife's car??
Old 22 June 2004, 12:12 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I had an interesting e-mail the other day, confirming my order for something (unstated) with a value of J797. I assume that's Japanese Yen. No mention of my name or method of payment. Was a little unsure if somebody had got the details of one of my credit cards and was buying stuff. There was then a link at the bottom to cancel the order.

I have kept hold of the mail for now, I suspect that it is actually some SPAM Scam that will either confirm my e-mail address as valid if I select the link or possibly ask me to confirm my credit card details to cancel the order, thus allowing somebody to make fraudulent use of my card. I haven't clicked the links for the above reason, but I will be keeping a close eye on statements for a while!
Old 22 June 2004, 12:15 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

All this whilst Egg show adverts mocking most of the common scams (except Nigerian car buyers )

Poeple don't win things out of the blue, be it via post, text, phone or e-mail, how can they be so stupid in believing it?

The same happened with that teacher a while back. This world is full of dishonesty, deceit and con artists everyone should know that, but they still fall for it
Old 22 June 2004, 12:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

As a note I recieved this e-mail an hour go (I'll just get out the trash folder ):

Dear Lloyds TSB customer!

Please read this important message about
security. Your account has been randomly
chosen for verification. This is requested
to us to verify that you are the real owner
of this account. All you need to do is to
click on the link below. You will see a verification
page. Please complete all fields that you will see
and submit the form. You will be redirected to Lloyds
TSB home page after verification. Please note that if
you don't verify your ownership of account in 24 hours we
will block it to protect your money. Thank you.
https:/online.lloydstsb.co.uk/applypassword.ibc

Lloyds TSB Bankаplc and Lloyds TSB Scotland plc are
authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority
It's a scam, I may have an account with Lloyds (don't know why though ) After my details. The link goes to a IP address which is nothing to do with Lloyds TSB (I adjusted it to stop it working - just incase you lot click it ). But no doubt lots of people will fall for it hook line and sinker
Old 22 June 2004, 12:26 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

As my old granny used to say "if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is".
Old 22 June 2004, 01:50 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy on the news last night had a kid with leukemia, I don't think he 'fell' for anything, was just a bit more desperate for money than most and was either too naive, or wasn't savvy enough to realise it was a scam. Lots of people fall for these things - how many threads are there on SN about possible scams? You must be pretty stupid if you have to ask other people if it's a scam or not
Old 22 June 2004, 02:11 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I had a friend had a phone call out the blue saying he had won a free copy of Windows XP and a new digicam. He didnt believe them at first so he checked and double checked and it turned out he had won a genuine compo that he was automatically entered for, so they are not *always* scams, just most of the time
Old 22 June 2004, 02:37 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stueyb
I had a friend had a phone call out the blue saying he had won a free copy of Windows XP and a new digicam. He didnt believe them at first so he checked and double checked and it turned out he had won a genuine compo that he was automatically entered for, so they are not *always* scams, just most of the time
Did he have to attend a local meeting and be bored for hours on end about dodgy time shares in order to collect?