Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Summer Job Ideas (for Engineering Student)

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2004, 11:19 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer Job Ideas (for Engineering Student)

Ello all.

I'm coming to the end of my 2nd year at Sheffield Uni where I'm doing aerospace engineering. I've previously done office temping work, but I fancy a change so am considering other options this year.

Something engineering related would be ideal, I haven't applied for course related placements this year because there will be a period of up to 3 and a half weeks in the middle of the summer when I wont be able to work. Also such placements are ideally suited to be done prior to your penultimate year, my course is 4 years long so I plan to apply for placements for summer '05.

One idea I stumbled across was being one of these car delivery drivers you see hitchhiking with trade plates under their arm now and again. Surely a fair number of lease cars and so on need driving up and down the country, who does it? Would they take a 20yo with clean licence held for nearly 3 yrs, pass plus, IAM member?

Any other ideas?

Even better, anyone know of a job going? Either in Sheffield or Rhyl/Denbigh area of N Wales? 14th June - 6th August (possibly a bit later), and 31st August - 17th September. My only paid work experience is office based but I've done a fair bit of it - good PC skills, type at 60WPM, etc. Also done some voluntary work in a charity shop and been a steward at Leeds music festival.

TIA for any advice.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 27 May 2004, 08:35 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Marquee companies are often looking for students to help put up marquees in the busy summer period. Not engineering related and hard work. But keeps you fit and can be well paid. DL
Old 27 May 2004, 04:03 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Cheers David, would be good to do something outdoors, I might give that some thought.
Old 27 May 2004, 05:16 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

If just interested in getting money then take whatever comes along. If you are interested in getting something which might look good on a CV to some future aerospace employer, try getting a job at a local aerodrome. You might get some trips in light aircraft, get to see what they do in the ATC tower etc.