Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

God TV - ch 671 Sky - these channels worry me

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2004, 11:50 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default God TV - ch 671 Sky - these channels worry me

OK, first the admission. Had problems with my Sky dish today, which meant I had to realign it - meant that I could again receive some channels again which had gone due to alignment issue. Tonight, I've just been checking out some of the channels which hadn't been working....

So, I come across God TV on Ch.671. I'm always wary of these channels as they appear FAR to much like the US evangelical channels which seem to exist to allegedly make millionaires of the <cough>presenters</cough>.

So, this week on God TV it appears they're having some kind of live telethon style appeal to meet the "ministry's" annual budget.

What scared me is when they were reading out the pledges that were coming in live. First one I heard was for £77/month from Mrs Jones of xxxxx Nursing Home in Edinburgh. £77/month from someone in a nursing home?!?! Scary. That's a fair whack of money for an OAP. It seemed many were giving £77/month, so I assume this is some kind of preset pledge.

I just worry about these "ministries". Are they for real? How much of the money really goes into helping people? Who controls them? Who monitors them?

Do they exist as a profit making business, or are the morals of these channels really to be believed?

Always far too many references to "the lord" and "god" in these channels. FAR TOO MANY. I mean they seemed to think the lord has blessed the satellite so that the word could be spread. Errr....no, Sky launched the satellite, and it's Sky that makes it all work
Old 23 April 2004, 11:53 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

The people that present these shows and the people who attend arent normal though are they! Im sure they believe they really have the power to cure us all
Old 23 April 2004, 11:57 PM
ChrisB

Coming soon to a Sky Channel near you...

ChrisB TV. Switch/Visa/Mastercard donations welcome

I have morals. It's just that they are somewhat warped
Old 24 April 2004, 12:05 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Actually, I'm now hooked

Part of the appeal is to provide money to supply digiboxes to, for example, prisons in South Africa so that the gospel can be spread.

Sky must LOVE this channel - getting Sky subscribers to pledge money to extend their viewer base

Call me cynical, but..........no, that'd be libellious
Old 24 April 2004, 12:18 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Oh, I don't believe this now. The reason people are giving £77/month is because God spoke to one of the "presenters" and the figure of £77 was in this message received from God. This £77/month pledged by people would bring them god's blessing over the coming 12 months.

FFS! Is this regulated by anyone?
Old 24 April 2004, 12:21 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Apparently if I phone up and pledge, an angel is going to be dispatched into my home. However, this will only happen if EVERYONE keeps pledging.....and a miracle will happen, but again, ONLY if EVERYONE keeps pledging this £77/month.
Old 24 April 2004, 12:39 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Would you believe me if I said that God has just told one of the presenters that there is a billionaire businessman watching, who if singled out with a special message, has said he would donate £100,000. In return for his donation, God will ensure that his business goes on to make billions more....

For those that feel £77/month is too much, they are being told that the bible states that God doesn't want people to stand in front of the alter with empty hands....

<cough>horse$hit</cough>
Old 24 April 2004, 12:41 AM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Would i believe your still watching this if you didnt keep posting updates?
Old 24 April 2004, 12:42 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

It's oddly addictive to watch. It really really worries me though that people take it seriously....
Old 24 April 2004, 12:57 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

We have a name for 'those' people
Old 24 April 2004, 03:30 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

All I can say is...

A fool and his money are soon parted.
Old 24 April 2004, 09:55 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

bring in the men in white coats, Thiving scumbag Ba$tards. if their is a god then why are so many people suffering and dying, don't make me get on my soapbox and start J witnesses knocked on my door and I set the dog on them (thanks Holly RIP) she had a ball
Old 24 April 2004, 12:46 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

This is nothing to do with real religious organisations which are run by honourable people.

In the same way that terrorist organisations use religion as a means of recruiting impressionable people to their evil causes, these immoral so called religious leaders will prey on the tendency of religiously minded people to extract money from them. Of course you can say what idiots they are to believe it but the fault is at the feet of the lying creeps who con them into giving money to them. Funny how so many of them get caught out communing with prostitutes and the like and the next you see of them is praying for forgiveness on the box etc. with the crocodile tears streaming down their faces!

Not the fault of true religious believers at all and it is unfair to use it as an excuse to run religion down. I am not a Jehovah's Witness, but they too have a right to follow their own honest beliefs, one of which is to spread the Gospel. If you don't wish to discuss it I have always found that they will leave if you tell them that politely, and won't come back if you make that clear. To set a dog on them is well beyond the pale and a shameful act! Certainly nothing to be proud of so that you can boast about it just in case we think how manly you are.

Basically it is just a matter of a bit of tolerance towards others even if they believe something different to yourself.

Les
Old 24 April 2004, 01:55 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know how one gets a licence to operate a TV channel, I might be interested