atkins diet

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2004, 10:04 PM
clarky1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atkins diet

how does this diet work?
has anyone ever done it, good results or bad results?
what do you have to eat?
i know i can rely on scooby net for answers, don't let me down folks!

cheers clarky
Old 22 April 2004, 10:19 PM
Lust4Life
Scooby Regular

Oh dear, best you do a search before war starts again

Phil
Old 22 April 2004, 10:26 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

good diet

cut your carbs reduce them to 20 grams or under

and eat as much cheese, fish, beef, lamb , chicken as u want, no chocolates and crisps and sweets etc

as long u as u eat more proteins and alot less carbs u will start burning fat and not just energy , as in carbs give u energy

so normally if we excersice we burn carbs first and then fat by the time we start buring fat were tired

so the point is to reverse your body and make it burn fat and only way round it is to eat less carbs and more meat and protein stuff
whipping cream double cream is all aloud

so if u wanna drink decafe coffee and tea use whipping cream instead of milk

i tried it and i lost half a stone in a week

but i cant hack it without chocolate im addicted

and i have another diet i did post here a good few months ago u loose a stone a month its for bypass operation people who need to loose weight quick
Old 22 April 2004, 10:41 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

it works

you will sleep better,have more energy,never feel hungry and generally a lot fitter

but you stink like a donkey with the ****s
Old 22 April 2004, 10:43 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

stink like a donkey hmm all sorted just wash your *** with water or use baby wet ones wipes
Old 23 April 2004, 06:02 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

yes,that would indeed clean your ***,but i was referring to your breath
Old 23 April 2004, 07:35 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Read this

Yes, it works. I lost 4 1/2 stones in 4 months and have since maintained a reasonable weight. I am now dropping back onto the intense part of the plan to shift a bit more for the summer. Apply it wisely and don't just eat shedloads of meat and it is a superb plan as you never feel hungry and eat excellent food. With other diets you always feel as though you're being punished, and guilty if you eat because you're hungry. With Atkins, if you're hungry, EAT, but you probably won't need to (you have to push yourself into eating every 4-6 hours, just to give your digestive system something to do).
Make sure you suppliment most of the carbs you used to eat (potatos, bread, rice, pasta) with veg and salad (broccolli, cauliflour, asparagus, lettuce (any non-sweet veg grown above the ground)) and maybe top up with a multi-vitamin. DRINK LOTS OF WATER.
You'll go through a phase after a couple of days where you feel like ****. Headaches and lethargy. It will pass quite quickly. It's just you brain crying out for the sugar it's used to but doesn't really need (addiction). After about 2 weeks you should start to feel energetic and lively, sleep better, lose weight and smell a bit.

Foods -
Any meat (obviously) cuts served with plenty of low carb veg, make your own curries (don't use ready made sauces from jars as they're bulked out with cornflour) with fresh cream (korma) or tomatoes (rogan). For snacks you can call at the chippy, just don't have chips and remove the batter from your fish, get a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket (not bbq flavoured, full of sugar) or pack a lunch with salad and oily fish (mackerel, tuna, sardines). 6 egg bacon, cheese (stilton, mmm) and mushroom omlettes are my fave. Oh, and enjoy the cooked breakfast every morning, but no toast.
I have always cooked sensibly, grilling, roasting, baking to remove some of the saturated animal fats, meaning the fats used for energy should be the ones stored in my body instead of what I've eaten.
Try to use decaf tea and coffee, with sweeteners (if required) and avoid cows milk (lactose - sugar) by using unsweetened soya milk.

Sorry, but NO ALCOHOL. Not at the start anyhow, and then try to stick to spirits.

It takes a while to get into the swing of shopping for the right products and you'll look like a geek as you read the nutritional information on every packet you pick up, but it becomes second nature. BTW, your shopping bill will increase greatly, as you will be buying good quality fresh produce instead of the cheap carb loaded junk in pre-prepared foodstuffs.

Glad to help.
Old 23 April 2004, 09:33 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

werent mines but u were talking about your own at the time

dba
----------------it works

you will sleep better,have more energy,never feel hungry and generally a lot fitter

but you stink like a donkey with the ****s
---------------------
Old 23 April 2004, 10:57 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It did well for me, still sticking to a low carb diet too. Good thing is that it reduces your appetite once you have got into it which all helps.

Les
Old 23 April 2004, 12:05 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

It works, but not fot the reasons given above - Try the healthy eating diet. When you do Atkins, every meal is freshly prepared and you don't eat any crap. The hard bit is 20g of carbs a day.

If you just eat healthily, prepare all your food from scratch, eat 4 reasonable meals a day, don't eat crap (pizza, choccie, beer, crisps, biscuits etc etc) you will still lose weight. I have tried both Atkins and plain old healty eating. They are both equally effective for weight loss - no idea about the long term effect on cholesterol etc though.
Old 23 April 2004, 05:49 PM
clarky1982
Scooby Regular

cheers all, some good tips there.
so what can i and can't i eat.
yes to meat etc and no bread or potatoes etc, no sweets or choc,
NO BEER ???????????
Old 23 April 2004, 06:01 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Not particularily overweight but went from 12St03 to 11St on the atkins diet.
And Apart from the 1st couple of weeks I didn't give up alcohol, though I did tend to drink wine/spirits rather than beer.

Felt good and no one ever mentioned I smelt....lol

Ditched it at christmas and have now gone to 11St07 so have started a 'low fat' diet for a change. Seems to be working slowly butI feel lethargic and hungry all the time - never had that on the Atkins diet. I'll probably give it another couple of weeks and switch back to it.

If your serious buy the book and do it right. I used to get really annoyed at people who slagged it off after trying it, but actually had no idea how to do it.

Corradoboy obviously did his research and has got it spot on.

Btw ground Flax/Linseed seeds are a great form of Fibre with virtually no carbohydrates which might help the 'constipation' for the first few weeks. Your body does get used to the reduced fibre eventually though.
Old 23 April 2004, 06:02 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by clarky1982
cheers all, some good tips there.
so what can i and can't i eat.
yes to meat etc and no bread or potatoes etc, no sweets or choc,
NO BEER ???????????
Look here.... http://atkins.com/howto/

Phase 1 - Induction is where you will be starting....
Old 23 April 2004, 06:24 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

After loosing 5.5 stone, my trousers no longer fit and when you pull them out sideways I look like a Panzer General.

Good way to kickstart yourself into a healthy lifestyle, Just been for a five mile dogwalk and am canoeing all weekend.

Never felt better and am totally healthy (Just had full 3 year work medical).

Doesn't work for everyone, but give it a bash.
Old 23 April 2004, 06:34 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

it works for everyone but we tend to cheat and them blame the diet aint working
Old 23 April 2004, 08:44 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

lol,just seen a new beer from Michelob,marketed as "low carb"

what a neat trick,all beer is low carb,its the alcohol content that ruins the Atkins diet,the alcohol effects the metabolism