Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

FINDING AN OWNER OF A CAR

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2004, 07:36 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FINDING AN OWNER OF A CAR

Had a bit of a run-in (well, rather a big one) with an Audi today, have phoned the police to notify them of dangerous driving, they gave me an incident number and told me to make a formal complaint at my local station.
Now is it worth doing that, are they likely to sweep it aside as there are no witnesses. Will they contact her to caution/charge her?

Failing that, anyone help me find where the bitch lives....I have her registration number so can I find out where she lives????????

Cheers for any info...

Joan.
Old 07 February 2004, 08:00 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The police might help with the address. I had an accident (forced off the road) and reported it, along with reg number, and when the copper turned up to interview me, I was given their address, not sure if I should have been given it, but I was. Never acted on it, but did have it if I'd wanted too.

DVLA might help out, if you have reg number, you could possibly say you've purchased new car but cannot find V5 and owner won't respond to you.
Old 07 February 2004, 08:06 PM
V45DSM
Scooby Regular

Three words: Data Protection Act.
Old 07 February 2004, 08:15 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

V45DSM.....don`t think they`d help much
Old 07 February 2004, 09:19 PM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

or you could pay for a VDC on the car, and get details of registered owner..
Old 07 February 2004, 09:28 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

where do I get that from then?????
Old 08 February 2004, 10:34 AM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

Joan,

I have a little story for you here. Read it understand it and make you own mind up about your next move.

I bought a cheap car last year when my Scooby engine got cooked. I didn't like it but as I travel 25 miles to work and back I had to get something quickly. Subsequently I bought another car that I preferred and sold the first one. Now I still hadn't got the log book when I sold it, but when it eventually arrived I phoned the guy I sold the car to and arranged to meet and pass it on. He never showed up.

Subsequently I was contacted by the guy I bought the car off (a trader) who advised that the previous owner had been contacted by the police for various offences. At that point I could only offer the telephone nunber and christian name of the guy who bought the car off me. I have a friends from many walks of life including the constabulary.

To cut this story short and not to implicate anyone, I was eventually (within 2 days)able to send the log book of to the DVLA with the purchaser's full names and address. Now this may be because he had been stopped in the car and or had a previous record, but I think you know where I am going with this - just have a think about who you know as well as what you know (reg no.).

Kev

ps.. If you were buying the car, you could get an HPI/Motorfile check - I don't know if you get the registered address with this or not or indeed if you're miffed enough to pay to find this person??? But, its just a thought!

Last edited by K9VYN; 08 February 2004 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08 February 2004, 11:25 AM
V45DSM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JoanUK300
V45DSM.....don`t think they`d help much
It's not supposed to help.
Old 08 February 2004, 01:02 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

If you're willing to pay, you can find out pretty much anything about anyone...

Not that I condone it, but so long as you have the reg number, contact a private dick and you should have a name and address within a week.
Old 08 February 2004, 03:48 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

they gave me an incident number and told me to make a formal complaint at my local station.
Now is it worth doing that, are they likely to sweep it aside as there are no witnesses. Will they contact her to caution/charge her?
I've found that what happens next depends on which police force is involved. I've reported a couple of similar incidents. In both cases, the desk officer was really helpful and seemed genuinely pleased that someone had taken the trouble to report a dangerous driver and had taken reg numbers, description of cars, time, location, and in one case a description of the driver. In both cases, the desk officer did a PNC check to see that the vehicle details matched the reg and to check if the vehicle was stolen.

I heard nothing further from the first incident, but had a call from the Met Police Traffic Admin department about the second one asking what I wanted them to do next. I would have been happy if they had made this driver aware that they needed to change their attitude; this didn't have to be by going to court, but an informal word with them would do for me. Admin explained that they couldn't do this; prosecution was the only action open to them and this was unlikely to be successful as there were no other witnesses. So, nothing happened.

However - a colleague is a Special Constable in a different force. He says that in his area such reports are followed up by a phone call to the vehicle's registered keeper. They ask them to confirm if the vehicle was in the appropriate area at the time and who was driving. If this all tallies, they will then ask general questions about how the conditions were and how they had been driving. Obviously, the standard answer will be that conditions were unspectacular and that their driving was equally unspectacular. Next question is along the lines of "Then why would a member of the public that you have never met have taken the trouble to stop at a police station to make a complaint about your driving?" The police will have to admit that without any further evidence, they can't prosecute. Also, this is not a formal caution. However, the errant driver is left in no doubt about whose story is believed and that local police will be watching out for that vehicle doing anything similar in future.

Like K9VYN above, I've also used personal contacts to do a bit of tracing when a friend's parked car was hit in the street about 20 years ago. Passers-by had left a note of the reg number of the offender and their contact details, so a few evenings later we turned up on this guy's doorstep and explained that we understood that there may have been good reasons why he had not stopped (the car was parked outside a pub), however if he'd just admit that he did the damage and paid for the repairs, we wouldn't need to involve the police as that could get messy for him......

Doug
Old 08 February 2004, 04:12 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Personally i'd leave it well alone, we all have days like this when **** happens, but unless u have witnesses to the illedged dangerous driving i wouldn't bother.
Say the police turn up at the car owners address and say blah blah blah blah driving dangerously....

the owner if they have anything about them will just deny everthing and ask for witnesses, i know i would, then it becomes ur word againts there's

i know it doesn't help much, but i don't think its worth all the hassle.
Old 08 February 2004, 05:54 PM
DEC14N
Scooby Regular

I reported an incident where a driver decided to try and ram 2 other cars off the road into a roundabout. Dropped into nearest Police station, they took details and i thought that was that untill they phoned me later in the day to say they had called at the house of the driver and had given them a warning.
Old 08 February 2004, 07:29 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

It probably wouldn`t be getting to me as much if my littl`un hadn`t been in the car......she must have seen we had a child in the car and he was pretty scared at almost being forced off the road......Peter however, has calmed down a bit now and reckons we should leave it but that causes a row and I say he SHOULD report her. Can I go into the local station and do it or would it have to be the driver of the vehicle?......yes, Peter was driving

Joan.
Old 08 February 2004, 07:44 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

You can go in.

You witnessed what was, in your opinion, dangerous driving. Anyone witnessing it can report it.
Old 08 February 2004, 07:46 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Joan - You witnessed the dangerous driving. You regarded that it put the littl'un in danger. It is irrelevant who was driving the car that you were in. Go to your local Police Station and report it. DEC14N has confirmed what I said - some Forces will pursue this more actively than others.

You have nothing to lose by reporting this. She is unlikely to get a dangerous driving conviction, but she may get a "wake-up" message.

Doug
Old 08 February 2004, 10:38 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

For what it is worth - my experience of reporting incidents to the Police have been less than helpful. A long time back I had some nut try and drag me off the lights as he was in the wrong lane. He lost out and had to pull in behind me. We approached a round about and he tried to overtake, as I was in the outside lane he was confronted with a refuge in the middle of the lane. He darted in to the inside lane, still behind me and as I exited the round about straight on he tried to come up the inside. I had lost him in my mirrors at this point and then I suddenly saw him on the inside, he was half on the grass at the side of the road. I immediately pulled out to give him room and braked to let him come through. He got in front then tried to block the road to stop me. I decided that a confrontation wasn't the best way forward, put my foot down, went round him and bu**ered off sharpish.

I reported this to the Police, I thought this guy was nuts and best to get my side of the story recorded in case he decided to say something. The Police recorded it all and that was that.

A week later I was walking through town on a one way street and a car is pulling out of a side road 50 yards or so down the road. He turns the wrong way up the one way street, mounts the curb and heads straight for me. I decided to leg it, and headed for a near by shop, he jumped out of the car and caught up with me as I got to the shop and hit me in the face. I pushed him off and went in to the shop. The guys in the shop wouldn't let him in and he soon left. The police station was only 100 yards or so away so I went round and updated them.

They seemed quite interested in me reporting a guy going the wrong way up a one way street but didn't seem to interested in the assault and the shiner I was now sporting. I gave the Reg Number of the car, and guess what, never heard another thing about it.

Moral of the story, unless you have witnesses, and preferably a copper there, they really don't want to know as it becomes your word against theirs.
Old 09 February 2004, 10:41 AM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Thats what I am worried about........but she REALLY got my goat.
If she had pulled over when I asked her to and got it sorted there and then, I probably wouldn`t be so wound up.....the fact that she didn`t seem to realise what she doing or who was involved makes my mind boggle.

Joan.
Old 09 February 2004, 11:16 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Forget my last post, as i wouldn't have said thast if i'd known their was a child in the car, i assumed from ur post it was just urself in the car.

Go make a complaint and make the police understand how terrified your little was, then you may well get a result from it.
Old 09 February 2004, 12:07 PM
V45DSM
Scooby Regular

In a few days or so you'll be through the worst of your menstruation and thing wont seem as bad as they do now.

Last edited by V45DSM; 09 February 2004 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09 February 2004, 12:37 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Cheers.....still keeping a look out for her car though