Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

cyrus hifi

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2004, 12:30 AM
snowybear
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cyrus hifi

thinking of buying a new hifi,and like the look of the cyrus 8 range.
More importantly,had a demo today and must say i'm quite impressed.
anybody out there got this equipment,if so what are your opinions?
Old 07 February 2004, 12:51 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Personally I always quite like the cyrus gear - although I always ended up finding something I liked a bit more at the price, I'd always place Cryus stuff above average. The only bit I ever owned was one of their Mission badged CD players, which was good at the time, but a lot better after I rewired some of the internals! Never regretted owning it, it's just my system has gone a long way since.

You've maybe answered you own question from what you experienced in the demo. Assume you have heard some other kit at similar price to draw comparisons? If so, and you like how the cyrus sounds, get it! If not, try a few other set-ups at similar money, and buy whichever works best for you.
Old 07 February 2004, 08:48 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

I was going to have a whole new system about two years ago. I eventually had a demo with Cyrus stuff, and absolutely loved it.

In your demo, did you get them to show you the difference made by the PS-X outboard power supplies, and the pre/power setup? If not, do it.

Apparently, it's come on since then too.

I didn't get it, as I couldn't bring myself to pay out £3000 plus for summat that doesn't get that much use. I still regret not doing it though.

Alcazar
Old 07 February 2004, 08:51 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I've had a Cyrus II/PSX for over 16 years and it still sounds superb. I've demo'd it against the newer stuff by Cyrus and other brands and I can't justify changing it. Same for the Cyrus DAD7 CD player. I also have Mission 764 speakers and to this day, I cannot find anything I like better for less than £2.5k. I'm more into AV now, and of course the Scoob demands money all the time, so I'm happy with my choices as a spotty 17yr old, and glad I haven't succumbed to the upgrade path. My mate who has spent years trying to acheive the same level of sound now has a £2.5k valve amp and £3k custom made speakers along with my old Linn turntable (and tuner and tape deck ) and although now much better than my stuff, it has cost far more than I could justify. Due to the actions of the BPI I am now turning my back on buying music unless I get it from abroad, which is often too much hassle, so I just don't bother.

Anyway, I waffled. Cyrus; superb kit for the money, and can last a lifetime (if you want it to )
Old 07 February 2004, 10:19 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Got the new 702 speakers they are the bollox
Old 07 February 2004, 12:36 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

i had an old cyrus II amp - very good. i demo'd newer cyrus amp and cdp a couple of years ago, and was very impressed. would have bought it if it wasn't for the meridian stuff. in some ways i thought the sound of the cyrus kit was more appealing than even the meridian. i still use cyrus speakers (CLS 70s). all the cyrus stuff that i've seen seems well made, my old man is still using the cyrus II that i used to have, and it was second hand when i bought it, qwhich was about 8 years ago.
Old 07 February 2004, 01:06 PM
Pbr
Scooby Regular

Yep, I can vouch for Cyrus gear as well, I had a Cyrus One amp for many years and I'd still rate it against amps in it's price category today. I've even read a report on a site that some Swedish bloke hooked a Cyrus One up to his Apogee Scintilla speakers (well known amp destroyers with 79db sensitivity and 1 ohm impedence) and it managed the job, although getting very warm in the process!

Last edited by Pbr; 07 February 2004 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07 February 2004, 03:07 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I have a Cyrus 5 amp, and am looking forward to having the cash to finish the sysem (yes, that's all I have right now!). I'm planning on auditioning the CD6 - I don't think funds would stretch to a 7!
Old 07 February 2004, 06:25 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

"and like the look of the cyrus 8 range"

The Look!!!!
Old 07 February 2004, 10:52 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

If you were impressed then just go for it.
Personally i've never heard anything that would give you a reason to hesitate if you like the look and sound.
Old 07 February 2004, 10:54 PM
snowybear
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
"and like the look of the cyrus 8 range"

The Look!!!!
quote'more importantly went for a demo'!!!!
Old 08 February 2004, 11:02 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I find it a bit bright. You need some laid-back speakers to go with the rest of it.