Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

TV, VCR, DVD, HiFi Audio.

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2003, 05:36 PM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking for advice on the best way to hook this lot together, so that I can get audio from any source playing through the HiFi. Would prefer not to have to run any more leads between components and HiFi as they are on opposite sides of the room and leads are chased into wall.

I have:

TV with 2 scart sockets. AV1 is fully wired (input/output), AV2 has Audio/Video inputs only
VCR with 1 scart socket connected to AV1
VCR also has coax cable to TV
DVD with 1 scart socket connected to AV2
DVD has additional Audio output sockets (not used)

The scart lead into AV1 has additional Audio out cables which are connected to VCR in on HiFi.

If I use TV or VCR, I can get audio through the HiFi.
DVD audio will not on HiFi. only on TV speakers
Swapping DVD/VCR around so that DVD is on AV1 with the additional Audio cables does not solve it - TV/VCR sound still available on HiFi, but not DVD.
Swap the ends of this lead around (so that the plug with extra cables is at the back of DVD) and audio from DVD comes through HiFi and TV, but TV/VCR are now on TV only.

Any suggestions?
Old 01 October 2003, 08:12 AM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Still looking for suggestions please
Old 01 October 2003, 08:29 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

TBH , I'd push it all through an a/v amp. You can get a reasonable one for a couple of hundred now.

It's the only way you will get to sensibly control all the inputs/outputs.

Steve
Old 01 October 2003, 08:41 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Question

Figment - Does your TV not have phono outputs ? This is how I connected my Sony to my sound system, very neat
Old 01 October 2003, 09:04 AM
Figment
Scooby Regular

stevem2k - Thanks for the suggestion. The existing amp has enough inputs to hook them up separately, but as said above the units are on opposite sides of the room, the inter-connecting cable(s) are chased into the wall with no spare capacity, and she who must be obeyed will frown upon another cable running around/across/over, so will have to stay as-is until the next round of decorating *shudder*

DJ Dunk, there are phono plugs on the flylead from the scart (these are used for the hook-up now) but none on the TV itself.

One thing I cannot understand, is how/why the audio from the VCR and TV still comes through the sound system speakers when the scart lead with the phono flylead was connected to the DVD?

The DVD has separate Audio Out phono sockets. Could I marry these up with the audio out from the scart, or is this too simple?