Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Burglary

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2004, 10:21 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just watching The Wright Stuff and he's on about burglary. Apparantly 880,950 homes were burgled last year. 1 in 23 homes or one every 40 seconds. And we had a thread on here the other day stating there were more drivers in gaol than burglars.

FFS, what are plod and the courts, and our stinking politicians on ?

Do burglars drive cars, 'cos if they do, plod just might accidentaly catch one !
Old 23 January 2004, 10:26 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

To be fair, most of these 'drivers' are there for good reason. Drunk drivers, hit and runners, death by dangerous driving, ******* like you see on 'police, camera, action' etc. VERY FEW are minor speeders or people who've forgotten to renew their tax by 2 days etc.
Old 23 January 2004, 11:23 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
corradoboy

Go on then - what do you suggest to combat burglary !!!!
Old 23 January 2004, 11:45 AM
Scooby300
Scooby Regular

Ask Tony Martin to give you a helping hand

That guy should never had been sent down.
Old 23 January 2004, 11:46 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Arrow

As most burglary is committed to finance drug habits, we should look at legalising some (not all) drugs, and selling them in government run outlets where they can be clean, cheap (purchased at source, negating the price doubling/purity halfing at each stage of dealing), taxed (to finance police/NHS) and monitored. By monitored, I mean each customer would have their spending habits cross referenced to their tax records to assess their ability to afford their recent purchases. There is no way in hell that street dealers could compete with the prices our government could charge when you consider how many people want a cut on the way to the street, thus forcing them out of business. Each sale could be accompanied with advise about safe use, quantities, combinations etc. The purchase of drugs could also make you liable to pay for your own NHS treatment for any related illness. The funds generated could go towards putting more police on the streets.
As a crime, burglary should have a 3 strike rule. 1st offence 5 years, 2nd 10, 3rd 15 years. Once convicted of burglary you should be banned for life from ever renting council accomodation, or owning a mortgage. Providing refuge for a known burglar should be an offence. Early parole will be given providing you accept a flight to the country of your choice and never return. When in prison, you will work, HARD. There would be no time off for good behaviour, FFS they're there for bad behaviour in the 1st place, but time added for bad behaviour. All prisoners will be paid minimum wage (thus not slavery) and charged half of that for bed & board, the remainder banked for their release.
Car crime should be treated in the same way.
All violent crime should be a mandatory 10 years.
All sentences should run consecutively.
All criminal records should be publicly available.

For a start.
Old 23 January 2004, 11:52 AM
Luke C
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dracoro I definetley agree with you on that one.

Ive been burgled and its the ****test thing ever. They stole just about everything including my Astra GSI!

One major problem is though is that there really is not sufficient punishment for these crimes, prison is too easy, oh and where do criminals learn more tricks of the trade. Prison.

**** me in arab countries they cut off your hands for theft
! How much of a crime problem do they have? Not as much as the UK. Obviusly im not suggesting you go round cutting off peoples hands but criminals have too many rights and are treated too well. For instance do you remember the lad who fell through a corrigated plastic roof on a farm building of a farmer he was robbing? He fell and broke his leg............sued the farmer...............and bloody won!!!!!!! Also does it make you feel good that if you caught a little ****** breaking into your scoob and you slapped him about, YOU would get in trouble!!!

Backwards totally Backwards
Old 23 January 2004, 12:22 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

To be fair, most of these 'drivers' are there for good reason. Drunk drivers, hit and runners, death by dangerous driving, ******* like you see on 'police, camera, action' etc. VERY FEW are minor speeders or people who've forgotten to renew their tax by 2 days etc.
---------------------------------------------------------------
This is so wrong, of over 15,000 drivers jailed last year (and these are gen figures) only 2,000 were for serious offences. According to the Home Office numbers the other 13,000 plus were jailed for minor offences. Speeding, tax, etc. the Prison people are complaining that drivers jailed by this Government are blocking up the system. There were only 12,000 Burglars jailed in the past 12 months.

Sorry but these are the facts, numbers have been rounded up or down a bit.....

[Edited by r32 - 1/23/2004 12:22:52 PM]

[Edited by r32 - 1/23/2004 12:24:32 PM]
Old 23 January 2004, 12:23 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Angry

My parents got done over a few years ago by some low life thieving scum, I hit the roof, included giving the plod a good dressing down when they turned up, when the forensic guys turned up for prints and stuff a detective said "Oh looks like their out again" I said what, who's out. "Oh this is the same pattern we had a few years ago looks like their style and we've had two or three of these in this area". FFS. Turns out the gang suspected were ex-window fiters so they knew how to take them out, so they did, a 6X4 double glazed unit, I mean the frame and everything.
Personnally I would like to see them @~%$£*&)(+}?:@{} with a ~@~###&*

John.
Old 23 January 2004, 12:43 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

r32 - where do these facts come from. I'd like to look at them.

speeding or tax evasion are minor in themselves, but I'd have though that those jailed would be mostly the persistent offenders who never learn, those caught without tax, insurance, mot for the n-teenth time. Bascially, persistent offenders (which should be jailed, yes?!!). There'll also be the odd case of someone being jailed for speeding WAY over the limit in dangerous conditions.

I don't believe for one second that they are jailing people for forgetting to tax their car or doing 40 in a 30 unless they've done it loads of times before.
Old 23 January 2004, 02:05 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
corradoboy

I agree with your punishment views, but any legalisation of drugs is a big no no for me. One drug leads to another and before you know it they're hooked on heroin, crack etc. If you legalise it, you will escalate the problem by starting more people off on the bottom rung of the ladder.

Drug related burglaries are generally to support a 'hard drug' habbit.
Old 23 January 2004, 02:12 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

The bottom 'rung of the ladder' being tobacco and alcohol I assume?
Old 23 January 2004, 02:18 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Burglary can be reduced by adopting American "Law" on intrusion..

i.e. If burglar gets stabbed on the neck with a Gary Rhodes Chef knife during a struggle - tough titty..

A homeowner should not be limited by "reasonable force"

Bottom line should be "hey mr burglar, if you don't want your brains mashed - don't come in here"

All hail Tony Martin is all I'll say

[Edited by what would scooby do - 1/23/2004 2:19:26 PM]
Old 23 January 2004, 03:12 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Wink

The data was in most of yesterdays papers, but it was picked up a few days ago by the news agenceys, check out yesterdays Daily Express.It may even be on the abd website too.....
They cant jail real criminals cause drivers have all the cells..
Whilst we have more criminals than cells then to jail a guy for non serious persitent vehicle related offending is not the answer. If we had empty cells sitting waiting then jail the lot I say, drop a sweet paper, in you go my laddie..... no rear light on your bike? Life .... steal a car, smash it in to some one, probation or a character building holiday, assault, burglary, tag him. Some thing not right. The juges have been told to be lenient because there arent enough cells to go round...

[Edited by r32 - 1/23/2004 3:35:12 PM]

[Edited by r32 - 1/23/2004 3:37:27 PM]