Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Watch out for Sneaky B******* camera vans on the A40 this morning

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2003, 10:16 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

If you are in the area of the Hanger Lane Underpass, keep an eye out for camera vans (not that the A40 isn't already covered in speed cameras ). Think I got done this morning going westbound.

As most know, the A40 is mostly 3 lane 40mph limit, and you can't do much more than that at 8:00 in the morning anyway. Just after the Hanger Lane Underpass, the road curves slightly and goes into a 50 mph limit. Where do they place the camera? - 100 yards from the 50 mph limit sign - thanks guys

Have to say it was a type of camera van I hadn't seen before, there is no one in the back pointing a radar gun at you, but there is a small floor mounted (not on a tripod) Gatso type unit, sitting at the side of the road, about 20 yards past the van. No warning, no markings on the road (also the unit is nicely hidden by the van).

I got flashed doing less than 50 on my speedo (so I doubt it was more than 45 in real terms, as my speedo over reads slightly anyway), so be very careful.

Incidently, my radar detector was still 'pinging' from going past the last live speed camera, so I doubt there is much that would save you

Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 12/9/2003 10:17:57 AM]
Old 09 December 2003, 10:30 AM
jhrfc1
Scooby Regular

I take it you mean westbound, i've seen them in that layby before.
another favourite place is eastbound, just before you go up onto the westway, where, you guessed it it goes from 40-50mph limit.
Old 09 December 2003, 10:35 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Gatso type unit, sitting at the side of the road, about 20 yards past the van. No warning, no markings on the road (also the unit is nicely hidden by the van).
must have been a hell of big van if it obstructed something 20 yards away from it!!!!
Old 09 December 2003, 10:41 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Red face

Also seen under the target roundabout heading out of town.
Old 09 December 2003, 11:33 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Well not that big, but given that the road is on a slight curve, you can't see past the van, so the box, which isn't that big is pretty well hidden until you are past the van

Chris
Old 09 December 2003, 11:35 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Yes it was westbound
Old 09 December 2003, 11:49 AM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

This is not validated knowledge so discount it if you wish...

I understand that radar speedtraps can interfere with each other which is why they are generally a good distance appart and why they don't have them all switched on at once on the M25.

Purely from my physics A level it seems reasonable that the signal from one could interfere with the other if they are using the same frequency.

If you are a borderline case yet still get a ticket and feel like challenging, you might look into this matter further.

The B******s get enough off us in petrol tax! Don't make it easy for them.
Old 09 December 2003, 12:18 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

I think I posted about this a while back but here goes again.
these are the mobile gatso vans which came out about 5 months ago.
There are loads around the city, but there seems to be 1 or 2 reserved for the A40.This is where they sit.
Westbound from Hanger Lane.As you come out of the tunnel, you will be aware of the Gatso on the left hand side as the road sweeps around to the left.As you safely pass that the vans will either sit on the left in the layby around 200-300 metres on from the first camera.The van is white with blue and yellow markings on either side.The reflective stripes on the back are not your normal police colours, but look like roadworks vans.And the biggest con is the light on the top is YELLOW not Blue...
As you draw alongside them, there is a gatso camera set up on a tripod (which is obscured by the van as its small).Next to the camera or further on is the flash light (again tripod mounted)
The guy sitting inside the van usually has a reflective jacket on and sits there with a clip board and smug grin on his face.

If the van is not located there, then it is further on but this time they sit in the under pass along the A40.There are only certain under passes that can accomodate this van as you head westbound so be wary.The cheekiest one is just before you exit and hit the 70 speed limit sign.

Eastbound
The van dosent seem to do as much eastbound checking as westbound, but be wary of the lead up to the Westway Flyover.As you pass the fixed Gatso on the left and the road goes right and then left, you will have a clear run up to the flyover.They have just installed a pedestrian crossing with lights along this stretch so the traffic is slower(which may be why they dont bother)but when they do, they park up on the left amongst all the vans and cars that are parked.Then along you come, building up speed for the flyover and Bam Bam you are done, so you have been warned..

Just doing my bit for the community
Shame I dont live in Durham, as the head copper there has banned all speed camera's.There was a piece on him in the telegraph last weekend.

Old 09 December 2003, 12:43 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sounds like this is nothing to do with safety and everything to do with generating revenue if they've gone to such crafty measures to hide the camera and disguise the van [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Sal. (Another one who is considering a nice new home in Durham )
Old 09 December 2003, 01:16 PM
jimr
Scooby Regular

FAO Derbyshire drivers

I see at least 3 vans a week round chesterfield area so if your driving in and around Derbyshire be aware - (there always parked on the opposite side of the road facing the wrong way)
Old 09 December 2003, 01:20 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Have to say it was a type of camera van I hadn't seen before, there is no one in the back pointing a radar gun at you, but there is a small floor mounted (not on a tripod) Gatso type unit, sitting at the side of the road, about 20 yards past the van. No warning, no markings on the road (also the unit is nicely hidden by the van).
i saw one of these near newcastle a good few months back

white van with chevrons on the back, no other markings, i was driving to fast but slowed as soon as i saw the van, it looked "dodgy" imo so i dropped right down, as i aproached i saw sumthing on a tripod infront of the van so i went past under the limit beeping my horn and giveing them the finger, any kind of white van anywhere near a road has alarm bels ringing now