Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Got an NIP

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2003, 05:48 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

51 on a 40 mph dual carriageway. I remember seeing the camera but it was on the opposite carriageway.

Both my wife and I drove down there around the time of the alleged offence, what do I do? I am usually very careful along there, can't believe I was doing 51, which would have been an indicated 54\55 ish.
Old 03 December 2003, 06:10 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Ask for photo evidence. Then if its not clear who was driving state so as your defence. It worked for the Hamiltons
Old 03 December 2003, 06:20 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I've got jdm tints, bucket seats and a **** off rear spoiler. There is no chance I'll be able to tell.
Old 03 December 2003, 06:24 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Added to say - he must of had me from behind - so to speak.
Old 03 December 2003, 06:30 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Sounds painfull

Seriously, how could you admit or be prosecuted with out conclusive proof?

As for a photo and if its not clear ask them to help you identify the driver.

Cant confirm or deny this works or not

Old 03 December 2003, 06:34 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

so what's best - I have 28 days, do I reply straight away or leave it till Xmas time.
Old 03 December 2003, 07:22 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Blame the wife............

get her to fill the form in but not sign it, think this still works?
Old 03 December 2003, 07:42 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Wait until you are nearly out of time and it is bang in the xmas period, then write to them telling them that you can't remember who was driving.

If you are lucky they will just write it off 'cos they all want to go on hols, if you are unlucky they will send you the pic, or invite you to come in and view it.

Do you have legal cover with your car insurance? If so it could be worth trying to get them to write the letter, or get your solicitor to do it.
Old 03 December 2003, 07:57 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Matt, check out www.pepipoo.com before you do anything. Go to the FightBack Forums and then to The Judicial Process. It will be very helpful for you.
Old 04 December 2003, 12:00 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Thanks 22b had a look

[Edited by MattW - 12/12/2003 10:53:07 AM]
Old 04 December 2003, 07:05 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just an observation so dont bother flaming me. You have day and time of offence...........you know who was driving! So whats the big deal? You got nicked! Deal with it.
Old 04 December 2003, 08:53 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Here
Here
Here
Here

Good luck.
Old 04 December 2003, 09:08 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

you know who was driving!
er no I don't - that's the point.
Old 04 December 2003, 10:17 AM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

watch they don't use the "duty of care" argument that they have quoted to a friend of mine who received an NIP for 103 mph on the motorway.

The registered owner of the vehicle has a Duty Of Care under the law to ensure that they do not allow anyone to drive their vehicle who is not suitably insured, has not got the appropriate license, or is in an unfit state due to drugs,drink etc., so to that end they MUST know who was driving it.

Thats the way I can see it going from now on, with all these unsigned NIP's and supposed ways to get off. They'll get their money one way or the other, you do all realise that don't you?
Old 04 December 2003, 10:20 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Buzz, thats all very well, but if you can only narrow it down to 2 people i.e. yourself and someone else on your insurance policy either of whom may have been driving at the time, then you have shown due care.
Old 04 December 2003, 10:32 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You have fulfilled your DOC if someone (important!) informs them who was driving. You still don't have to sign it though (EU law), rendering it inadmissible. Also, when you receive a NIP, who informs you of your rights?
Re: CASE REF NUMBER

Further to my previous correspondence regarding the above alleged motoring offence:

I have been informed that the Honourable Mr Justice Owen has decided [dpp v Yorke & Mawdesely 2003] that the Section 172 notice of the NIP amounts to a voluntary confession made under the provisions of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act [PACE].

I should be grateful if you would please detail why my legal rights under the provisions of PACE were not explained to me prior to my completion of the form.

I would like to submit the following skeleton argument and should be grateful if you would ensure that I receive a substantive reply by return:

1 The prosecution case is said to be based on a voluntary confession, which has, as aforementioned, been made under the provisions of The Police and Criminal Evidence Act [PACE].

2 I will submit that I was neither cautioned, nor offered an explanation of my rights, prior to being required to complete the voluntary confession (s172 of the NIP).

3 In the circumstances, I will submit that my rights under the provisions of PACE have been breached.

4 I will further submit that, as I was deprived of my rights under PACE, I have been deprived of my right, under Article 6 of the ECHR, to a fair trial and that I may be the victim of a malicious prosecution.
Under the circumstances therefore any prosecution is bound to fail.

In the light of this, you may wish to consider withdrawing your case rather than waste the Court's and witness' time. In the event that you decide to proceed with the case and my not guilty plea is successful, I will make an application for my costs.

I look forward to hearing from you by return.

If this is correct, it's game over for the cameras for a while at least.
Also, the Hamiltons have just been through a case similar to yours. Neither of them got points as the driver could not be reliably identified. They did get stung for a lot of cash though

[Edited by corradoboy - 12/4/2003 10:34:34 AM]
Old 04 December 2003, 11:02 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Right as I see it if

1.I take the rap I'll have had 6 points in 5 years, insurance goes up.

2.Missus takes rap insurance is ok.

3.Fail to sign or state unable to identify, get prosecuted for failing to identify driver, get MS code conviction which puts insurance through roof or uninsurable.

Great

Let's hope the missus will have em.
Old 04 December 2003, 11:19 AM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

if you can only narrow it down to 2 people i.e. yourself and someone else on your insurance policy either of whom may have been driving at the time, then you have shown due care.
Exactly the point at which they then do you as the registered keeper, so either way you don't get away with it.

I don't agree with the system, I think it stinks big time!

I would certainly think long and hard about trying the PACE argument against giving them a voluntary confession of guilt which is then used to prosecute you, all without having it explained that this is what you are actually doing. In a police station you would have the right to silence and not to incriminate yourself, so why should "by post" be different?

Can anyone name me another "crime" where they post you a "Confession of Guilt" form?
Old 04 December 2003, 11:33 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I've called them and asked whether they can id the driver. The "nice" lady I spoke to will ring me back within an hour.

If they can't I guess it's a flip of the coin. Hardly justice tho'
Old 04 December 2003, 11:38 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

That word "justice" again.

Matt, how would it be an injustice if you had to pay a speeding fine on account of you/your car being caught speeding?
Old 04 December 2003, 11:46 AM
Boss Hogg
Scooby Regular

Matt - don't worry - I got a NIP in exactly the sme cicumstances - could have been me or wife driving, both insured, but I got NIP as I'm the registered keeper.

I asked for the photo to see if it would id (was no. plate only so no use) then I wrote them a letter explaining that we genuinally couldn't remember -it was our main car and we both regulalry use, and as it was a long journey we had swapped drives, so don't know who was driving at the time of the offence.

Result: - no further action.

Old 04 December 2003, 11:53 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Angry

Telboy - If I had been caught speeding it would certainly be justice, however it certainly was my car, may have been me, or my wife.

The road is very close to home, the van was there all day, we both used the car around the time in question (lunch time). I remember seeing it.

We could both leave home, drive past the van and be back home in ten minutes(without breaking speed limits).

With the case of the truvelo or a police stop then no doubt can exist. I got caught 3 years back on the M5 by a traffic car, no problem it was me etc etc. I thought English law was based on beyond reasonable doubt and all that.

Maybe I am naive, I was under the impression you only got done if the driver can be clearly id'd from the evidence.
Old 04 December 2003, 12:04 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

I am under the impression that the police want the money from whoever they can get it out of, by fair means or by intimidation with "if you go to court it'll be 6 million points and a £gazillion fine for arguing with us" type letters...

If you are posting money out by the way, I entered you for the Canadian lottery and you won, so could you send me £600 so I can claim the £1.5 million pound jackpot for you? Obviously you can't do it yourself 'cos the tickets are in my name etc etc... No, it's not a scam at all, honest!
Old 04 December 2003, 12:13 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Matt, everything you've said is correct of course, but from a purely judicial point of view, justice would be done if someone paid the fine for the speeding offence which has clearly been committed, not evading it.

Though of course i understand that you will avoid it if you can. I can see why the loophole of identification is being closed.
Old 04 December 2003, 01:51 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Photographs (or video in the case of the scamera vans) CAN NOT be used as evidence as to who was driving. They can ONLY be used to identify the vehicle.
Old 04 December 2003, 02:42 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Matt,

They've identified it was your car, so they'll prosecute the registered owner unless you tell them someone else was driving your car. Whether the "admitting liability" loophole works or not, I've no idea.

Personally, I'd take it like a man so to speak. Either that or dob your wife in.

Stefan
Old 04 December 2003, 05:08 PM
blueE9
Scooby Regular

Don't sign it mate. It worked for me. I didn't even have any other pts - just wanted the satisfaction of trying it on.
Old 05 December 2003, 01:20 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Matt,
If you do not know who was driving you must NOT identify anyone, as that could be 'supplying false information' which is a serious charge in itself.
Old 05 December 2003, 01:31 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I know I know. This is very different to the Hamilton case, in so far as I know I was driving the car around that time, but also my wife did too.

The place in question is literally 1 mile from home, I went out 2-3 times that day driving a loop round testing positioning of my mp3 player. Once I got home my wife went to town.

Million dollar question, who was driving when the car was exceeding the limit.

I've sent the NIP back stating the facts and asking for their advice, I don't think it fair I just take it on the chin. The camera unit have already stated on the phone they can not id the driver.