Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Freeview TV

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2003, 07:14 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a freeview TV box (£50 in Sainsbury)
Plugged it it, connected it up, scanned for channels and
a) It doesn't list some channels at all that I'd expected, like Sky News, C5, ITV2 etc
b) Almost all channels that it DOES pick up have really low signal strength and break up really badly so that they're pretty much unwatcheable.
I've got a good aerial in my attic so do I need an external one and/or a booster ? I'm on the outskirts of Scotland.

[Edited by andyr - 11/6/2003 7:14:43 PM]
Old 11 July 2003, 09:47 AM
andyr
Scooby Regular

I found the Maplin aeriel in their on-line catalogue - is there something specific about this type of aeriel as opposed to the one I've already got ? Present one is a fairly large one in my loft - just don't want to spend £20 if it's not needed. Would it also be ok sited in the loft or would it need to be positioned externally (which would be a pain) ?

Edited to say - reread the previous post and noticed the comment re the requirement for a wideband aeriel - so this is the type of aeriel needed ?

[Edited by andyr - 11/7/2003 9:49:48 AM]
Old 11 July 2003, 11:51 AM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Found the Maplin NB15 : that's a 14 element aerial suitable, they state, for normal reception, would one with more elements (they do an 18 element one for weak signal areas - £19.99) be better ? They even do 43 and 48 element aerials - worthwhile ? TV reception through current aerial has been fine up to now if that gives any indication of what I need, however ch 5 is crap reception.

Just found Argos (store is closer than the nearwst Maplins) has a Labgear High Gain for £19.99 : http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=1001&productId=60916

[Edited by andyr - 11/7/2003 11:54:02 AM]
Old 11 July 2003, 02:26 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

There is probably no point in buying a new aeriel unless you put it outside. Even with ceramic roof tiles (as opposed to slate, which are even worse) the attenuation is significant, especially when the roof is wet.

Also, if you are going to bother, buy an Antiference high-gain wide-band antenna (the ones with X shaped directors). It's a pain to put up a new aeriel, so you might as well put up a decent one that'll work for a few years before it corodes away. MaxView are ok, but the quality is not as good as Antiference.

Finally, don't use the cheap coax that most DIY shops sell, it has relatively high loss figures compared to the good stuff. A quality 75 ohm UHF coax (as made by Eagle etc.) will have a copper foil, as well as a braid, and the braid will be sustantial copper, not the wispy stuff you see on the cheap cable. All UHF coax should be have a semi-airspaced separator between the centre conductor and braid.

With a decent (outdoor) aeriel and good cable, you probably don't need a booster amp. If you do, it needs to be a masthead type, as it's primary function is to compensate for the cable losses. There is no point in using an inferior aeriel and trying to amplify the signal, because the amplifier can't boost a signal that isn't there in the first place.

Hope this helps, Ming.

[Edited by dr_ming - 11/7/2003 2:28:18 PM]
Old 06 November 2003, 07:20 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

You'll need a new aerial - probably

Can't remember what they're called - info here http://www.freeview.co.uk/
Old 06 November 2003, 08:22 PM
Albert
Scooby Newbie

Had the same problem with mine last year, new aerial and co-ax cable sorted it.
Old 06 November 2003, 08:40 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Check the freeview site,there's a post code checker and it will tell you if you need a new aerial.
Old 06 November 2003, 09:18 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

The original aerial is probably not a wideband one, so it is struggling (the digital channels are often on higher channel numbers than the ones the old aerial was designed for). I got a wideband one from Maplin as a straight replacement for the old one, got all the channels with good signal strength after that.

Look on Maplin site and do a find for the NB15R. That's a Maxxview one, you can probably find it in Comet if that's easier. The Wideband bit is the important part.

Old 07 November 2003, 02:03 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Wink

>>>>> I'm on the outskirts of Scotland.

That might be your problem

Mark
Old 07 November 2003, 02:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Didn't think Scotland even had electricity!?

Who the hell gave them THAT?!

I suppose the English PAID for it too!!

Pete
Old 07 November 2003, 02:16 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

To get freeview through your existing aerial I thought that you needed Ch5 to come through nice and clear, otherwise you require an aerial upgrade. I guess that's what your are learning now though.
Old 07 November 2003, 06:28 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Andy - I've got a wideband aerial in the loft and it works fine - I think it cost a tenner from B&Q .

Obviously we don't live next door to each other so you could find that you wont be as lucky as me - but there's an easy way to find out - try it
Old 07 November 2003, 09:22 PM
MrsP1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

My mum got one of those Freeview things with her new TV and its utter sh*te!!!!

First she was told that it would be fine in her area then got it hooked up and it didnt work, then got brother up on the roof to fiddle around with the aerial and we got a picture but no sound or colour and then was told that her area didnt work that well!

I would have said no to it tbh as all you get is crap and nothing worth watching. Fork out a bit more and get Sky, its well worth it
Old 07 November 2003, 10:23 PM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Mrs p1 fanatic, you could always persuade your mother to sell that cr&p feeview box to me for a few quid !! looking for one to see what all this fuss is about !! let me know anyway ??

cheers,
john..
Old 07 November 2003, 10:34 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Just bought a multi element job from Argos so I'll give it a try - if it makes no difference then I'll take it back, get me money back and reconsider.
Old 08 November 2003, 09:23 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Having assembled the aerial last night I realised I was missing a connector off the bit of co-ax I was using so ... I tried the old aerial again and with no change from previously other than this time using the same bit of co-ax that used to go straight into the video as opposed to a spare short piece I had and was connecting from the wall socket to the freeview box. Strangely this time I received a full compliment of channels, ITV2, Sky News etc etc.
Picture quality is great but the signal strength is no more than
70%
I've since then tried the aerial out but just with it beside the TV on a 2ft length of co-ax and this DID get some channels but 20% signal strength - I wonder if installing the new aerial will get me to nearer 100% ?
Does signal strength vary quite a lot with weather or other reasons / excuses ?

Also I'm short of a scart socket on the back of the TV so whilst in Asda I bought a cheapo double socket box for £5 and it worked but picture quality (noticeable the colours/contrast) were a but naff so that's going back. Any recommendations for a 2 or 3 scart multi-plug box ?
Old 08 November 2003, 09:49 PM
Gus M
Scooby Regular

Wink

The English gave us the toilet seat too, which we improved by
putting a hole in it.
Old 10 November 2003, 09:08 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

I'll ignore the ahem jokes on here ....

I've still got a good picture (signal strength also still around 70%) using the original aerial but I'm puzzled as to why my vcr isn't 'seeing' the freeview channels even though the co-ax to it runs from aerial to freeview box then to the vcr then co-ax and scart leds to TV. It still sees normal terrestrial channels however. Is it because freeview output is digital which the vcr doesn't interpret yet it can pass these through to the TV ?
Old 10 November 2003, 09:19 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

You need Scart leads to view Freeview. Should be two scart sockets on back of digibox - one for TV output and one for VCR - you can't use the co-ax cable for freeview signal - it's just to relay the "terrestrial" stuff to your VCR / TV !
Old 10 November 2003, 09:43 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

pslewis - England gave Scotland electricity!! HAHA - PMSL.

I think you will find that Scotland SUPPLIES England with lots of electricity, as it does water, all the best inventions, MPs, whisky, great seafood, etc etc.

Old 10 November 2003, 10:05 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Question

aye, and places for all the MPs and Union reps cos they can't get in at home...

anyway, is it true that you can't watch one prog and tape another with freeview?

tia

Apple
Old 11 November 2003, 01:42 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Thanks - will need to see if I can connect to the vid with the Scarts as I think it's got all sockets in use for satellite box etc.
Old 11 November 2003, 01:50 PM
SteveLegacy
Scooby Regular

I've had problems with mine too.

When I plugged it in first time, I got break-up on all the ITV channels. About a fortnight later, all the ITV channels started working properly. About a week after that, all the Sky channels, Bid-Up TV, Channel 5 and QVC disappeared, along with some radio stations and still haven't returned.

I think a new aerial might be called for!