Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gas-Guzzling Drivers Face Tax Rise

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2003, 10:39 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get your wallet out (or unbolt the turbo) yet AGAIN!!!! Swear to God Brown should work in a milking parlour...

"MOTORIST who drive gas-guzzling cars could be penalised with higher road tax rates, it has emerged.

The Government is looking at pushing up Vehicle Excise duty for higher-polluting cars.

It believes motorists will be put off buying cars that cause the most damage to the environment if they are made more expensive.

A spokesman for the Department of Transport said: "We are looking to see how we can use Vehicle Excise Duty to better reflect carbon dioxide emissions.

"We are working closely with the Treasury on this."

The amount motorists pay in road tax is already partly dependent on the size of their engine. But ministers do not think the cost differences are enough to deter people from buying bigger cars.

The duty on a Lamborghini Murcielago, the highest-polluting car on sale in Britain is £160 a year, just £75 more than for a diesel Renault Clio.

And sales of larger-engined cars, which produce up to five times more carbon dioxide per mile than the most fuel-efficient cars, are soaring.

The Institute of Public Policy Research this week forecast carbon dioxide emissions from road transport will rise by 15 per cent by 2020 under the current road tax regime. The number of cars on Britain's roads is growing by more than 500,000 a year with sales expected to top 2.5 million this year."

Old 18 October 2003, 10:49 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Sorry guys - just noted this topic was posted earier too...
Old 18 October 2003, 11:09 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yet another dumb idea.

A car that does 24mpg and 10000 miles/year costs about £1500 a year in fuel. For a 40mpg car, that figure drops to £900. That's already a £600 difference, and of course that figure scales with actual distance travelled (and therefore, pollution actually generated).

The level of fuel tax may be unreasonable, but as a means of taxation it's actually remarkably fair - why, after all, should I pay tax just to have a car sitting in my garage 99% of the time?

Clarkson for PM, anyone?
Old 18 October 2003, 11:19 AM
GreenMachine
Scooby Regular

How much of the expected increase in pollution is simply down to the expansion of the number of cars on the road?

I suspect a lot is down to increased commercial traffic.

Your average Lambo or Ferrari is likely to be used at least 5 times less frequently than a more eco friendly kid/shopping trolley
Old 18 October 2003, 12:53 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

The duty on a Lamborghini Murcielago, the highest-polluting car on sale in Britain is £160 a year, just £75 more than for a diesel Renault Clio.
How many miles a year does your average diesel Renault Clio travel compared with your average Lambo?
Old 18 October 2003, 01:06 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I think I'm correct here, I'm sure I saw on Grand designs that for every ton of concrete produced, a ton of carbon dioxide is also produced, why don't we maybde have a lookt at reducing that then?

Carbon dioxide is harmless anyway, we all breath it out ffs
Old 18 October 2003, 01:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I wonder when they will start to consider the greenhouse pollution from aircraft. It takes about 40 tons of fuel for the average aircraft to cross the Atlantic. when the number of people being transported is taken into account it is one of the least fuel efficient means of travel. The fuel is largely converted to water vapour and CO2 which are greenhouse gases. Aircraft operators do not pay tax on aircraft fuel, either petrol or kerosene.

Of course it is all tied up with big business so the government would not dare to do anything about that when they can hit the motorist for six yet again.

Les
Old 18 October 2003, 03:11 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

So how will all he old BMW drivers that live on cuncil estates manage to afford the extra tax.

They wont. They'll do the same as they do now. Just dont pay anything.

Chip.
Old 18 October 2003, 03:18 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Really the gas guzzlers pay more tax already with fuel duty, less MPG more fuel used = more paid in fuel duty.

So when people buy more fuel efficient cars and the revinue drops due to better MPG what will they tax next. Ah, i have the answer - just put the duty up on fuel and/or roadfund anyway.

Labour - The party of taxes and before anyone says we need to pay more to fund this and that - maybe but spending it wisely, efficiently and with consideration first rather than the Labour golden rule of throw money at a problem and it will go away!

Well thought out plan Labour!

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 10/18/2003 3:19:44 PM]
Old 18 October 2003, 03:34 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Cool

Most big car owners vote Tory therefore...

Tax Tory car owners=more money+no votes lost..........blo0dy genius that Gordon Brown....

Old 18 October 2003, 04:41 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

Right! Thats it!!!

I am off out to buy the biggest engined, most fuel inefficient, CAT-less, exhaust smoking death-trap of a classic car (i.e. over 25 years old) that i can find - which will incur NO ROAD FUND LICENCE WHATSOEVER!!!!!

Besides, where will all these taxes go?? Well according to today's paper "Tories estimate that by the end of Tony Blair's second term in 2006 he will have employed 600,000 extra public sector workers at a cost of £19billion".

It seems that there are already 62,000 more civil servants (note: not Police, or Nurses, or Teachers, or Doctors) since 1999

Madness [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

mb
Old 18 October 2003, 06:21 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

er, its pre72 mate.

Labour stopped the rolling 25 year thing in their 1st run of government.

My '73 GT6 (thats a rights polluter, 18mpg 2ltr full s/s zorst bigger carbs jobbie) gets taxed, and for those of you that cant add thats 30 years old.
Old 18 October 2003, 07:21 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

Aaarrrrggghhhh! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Right, plans updated - time to get a World War 1 tank (even B.Lair can't fiddle the books on the age there) and trundle along at 5mph on single carriageway roads without paying a penny in road tax!!

Aw, ****, i forgot - that's what the farmers are doing at the moment with their pink diesel tractors

mb
Old 19 October 2003, 12:27 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I reversed the Range Rover to just outside No10 Downing Street's gates yesterday. I revved the bollox off it whilst squirting Redex into the airbox. Quick as a flash Coppers rushed up to me (3 of them armed) & of course asked me what the hell I was doing. I just told them I was persecuting the prime minister on behalf of the motorist. They saw the irony of it and let me continue.... (then I woke up )