Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Caravan or MotorHome

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2003, 10:12 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bet you were expecting this thread to be about complaining about people dragging sheds around causing chaos. But its not (unfortuanatly).

My Parents are looking to buy either a Motorhome or Caravan. Now they like their space and want a fixed bed in whatever they buy so it is going to be large.

Budget is about 40k for either a motorhome or caravan & 4x4.

But they do not now which to buy, they plan to use it for a couple of months at a time touring around europe.

My Dad likes the motorhome idea as he doesnt like the idea of towing (but also wants to tow a smart car behind the motorhome).

My Mum likes the idea of a caravan as then they also get a nice car they can use for the rest of the time (and its easy when they have reached the final destination).

Both agree that when using the motorhome when travelling about on holiday it will be a pain in the *** moving the thing. But my Dad is fairly reluctant to tow a 6m + caravan. IS towing a twin axle caravan with a Shogun as bad as he is thinking ??.

has anyone had both or either and have any useful comments ??.

cheers

Peter
Old 01 September 2003, 10:16 AM
Lois
Scooby Regular

motor home ....and tow the car behind it so once its parked up they can drive around where ever they have stopped
Old 01 September 2003, 10:21 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

is that better than towing a caravan ??. after all you are still towing something, does the weight distribution have a lot to do with it ??.
Old 01 September 2003, 10:25 AM
Lois
Scooby Regular

i dont know as i have never towed a car with a motor home ..but a motor home is a huge beast and a car is small as opposed to a small car towing a beast of a caravan.
it must be easier to see behnd you with the motor hoome option...i would have a motor home over a caravan any day of the week
Old 01 September 2003, 10:48 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Neither, tell 'em, to goto a hotel or B&B and keep the fecking things off of the road. If they have to buy one get a motorhome but have the block of wood which is wedged under the accelerator restricting it to 50 removed and have it fittied with mirrors and a lesson on how to use them and a map detailing all of the lay-bys in the UK and ask them to use each and every one of themm to let the huge que of taffic built up behind them a chance to get where they are going!
Old 01 September 2003, 10:50 AM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Angry

Ban all road snails!

But, if they must, get them to buy the shortest overall, so it's easy to overtake
Old 01 September 2003, 11:16 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

I think it depends on what they can get for their money. My in-laws to be have a small motor-home, maybe 4 or 5 berth. Its quite nice, and my brother-in-laws to be use it to tow their hovercraft to race meetings. However its not the quickest thing around!

My own view would be to go for a Shogun or similar and tow a large caravan. You have a decent car to use when on site, and when not touring. A Shogun will tow a caravan and maintain a decent turn of speed. Also of course the whole combination is more flexible, and will be able to get out of muddy fields!
Old 01 September 2003, 12:00 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

dont worry i checked first if they buy one they are planning to leave either the caravan or motorhome in france, and just pop across the tunnel in a car and collect it for use in mainland europe.

probably never get to see a british road :-).

I think my dad needs to have a go at towing something with a shogun to see if its as bad as he is thinking.

They wanted to borrow my scooby as a caravan puller, as its a 4x4 isnt it, they said. to which i replied a few expletives and mumbled something about the clutch.
Old 02 September 2003, 11:16 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have a motorhome - We are just back from first major tour and it is not really much hassle moving around. Unplug the electricity and drive off. This applies to nipping to the shops or setting off for another site. Most of the caravan people had a slight advantage getting to the shops as they didn't need to unplug the lekky cable, but if they were moving site they would spend several hours packing everything evenly and getting the weight distribution right.
The other thing I noticed, but hadn't considered when buying it is that it is incredibly comfortable to drive. My car is a BM 5 series, but I would prefer to take the motorhome on a 3 hour journey. There are loads of other benefits when travelling on the continent. Aircon - fridge is near driver seat and always works. Beer is cold on arrival etc etc.

Insurance is about £200.00 a year

As for road snails?????? - most of the people I passed did look quite shocked to see a snail tearing past at 95