Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cancelling a Genie contract phone?

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2003, 11:16 AM
RS2 JIM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there. i'm hoping someone here might have experience or advice with cancelling Genie contract. My younger brother has been trying to cancel his contract since jan this year and has just informed me that he's still being charged by them. Now, it seems their ploy is to charge him his next months line rental and then send a threatening e-mail to him saying if he doesn't pay' it'll affect his credit rating. This then makes him pay and continue using the phone as he's paid for it. Every month he cancels the account on-line but to no avail....still the charges come off his account. He did get hold of a number that he called to cancel the account but the muppet on the other obviously failed to comprehend the fact he wanted to cancel the account and has actually sent him a new blooming sim card!
Last month, in an attempt to stop the problem at it's source, he decided to cancel the direct debit from his account and block all payments going to Genie. However, Genie have just tried to take the money,yet again, from his account and have sent another threatening e-mail to say he's liable to damage his credit rating if he doesn't allow them access to his account.

Does anyone have any idea where he can go from here. He actually destroyed the simcards so they can't be used and there are no calls or texts being used on his accounts.

Help.......pleeeeeaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeee!!!!!!!

James
Old 02 September 2003, 11:30 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

I had this problem with them. I found you had to phone them to cancel, but I found whenever I called the lines were closed. So I cancelled my direct debit, and wrote to Oftel to complain. The result was a letter from Oftel saying they were investigating, swiftly followed by a letter from Genie saying my contract was cancelled with immediate effect.
Old 02 September 2003, 11:36 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Never had a problem with cancelling with them. Destroying the sim was a bad idea though! He should have returned it to them with a letter explaining what he was doing and why, cc'd the letter to Oftel and a solicitor (who he would possibly use)- but only send it to the solicitor if they messed him around and kept a copy!